General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Metal detector for pit dumping

Most West Coast pits are found with a Fisher Gold Bug. They are a little beyond your budget but one pit will pay for it.

Ross you are a great area for digging. Once you get out of the fog belt there are tons of places to hunt. I was born in Weaverville and have spent quite a bit of time looking around there but don't worry there is plenty left.

Fred Wolpe used to live in Bridgeport but most people never look in their own front yard so there is probably plenty to find there as well.

Scott

You should be able to pick up a Gold Bug for under $300 on eBay. I paid less than that twice (got one for me and another for a fellow RB'er) and mine came with 2 extra coils, too.

I did a quick search on eBay and saw 2 auctions for Gold Bugs.

Steve

Tesoro Silver Umax - new 249 - two knobs - one switch which will keep you from digging barbed wire and scraps of metal all day - gets a single can more than a foot down - easy - I can even find a link..I wish I had 3 of these detectors

Scott pretty much answered the question: Gold Bug! But you can use whatever you want. They seem to running on ebay right now for about $300. I never have trouble using it to find cans. There is no descrimnation button on it, which is good, because you could miss a great hole of cans otherwise.

Ed

but the Tesoro has a switch that goes from all metal to discrimination mode.......with discrimination mode on - but turned all the way down....the detector will pick up cans..but not wire, nails, sheet metal, barrel hoops - - anyways......you detect in "all metal" - when you find something that seems can sized..you can flip the switch...if you get no signal..its crap..if you get just-as-large signal...its probaly a can...but likely aluminum or a tab top..if you still get a signal..but its a little bit smaller..its almost always a can..because in "all metal" you are detecting the steel..in "minimal discrimination" you are mostly detecting the lead in the seams and rims.....but some of the steel too....its really really easy to use..no "multiple tones" like your gold bug.....(I like tone-id in coin detecting..hate it with can detecting)...anyways......thats just my review

Re: Re: Metal detector for pit dumping

Ive never seen a gold bug in action but just from what you guys find they seem amazing...BUT i also have to speak up for pete...seen him in action with his and he's a "master" with it!
Just my thoughts
mike

thanks Mike.....anybody can be a "master" - three hours scatter-dumping and you too can be a Jedi with the detector

LOL ok young skywalker.......
mike

heh heh

Steve "the Raider" Gesham from Oroville, Ca uses a Tesoro with great results. I dont know what model. He also lives in beer can heaven - probably the most popular area in the country for hunting and fishing in the 1930s! Not only lots of cans, but many, many rare brands!

I think the bottom line is to go out with someone who all ready has a proven detector for cans and learn from them before buying one. Dont buy one w/o using it first.

Ed S

RBers:

Thanks for the input and advice. I've been emailing Bearcans on the side and I'm trying to arrange a pit dumping trip/tutorial with him before purchasing a detector. Definitely want to get one before heading to the eastern sierras in early September.

So Scott if you don't mind me asking, what types of places did you have success in locating cans in the Weaverville area: campgrounds, old mining claims, trailheads, fire lookouts?

Ross

I'm 39 and thinking of getting back into the beer can collecting hobby after 23 years. I am interested in metal detecting for dumps and pits of cans and have a few questions. I'm in the Augusta, Ga region of the southeast. Would the hunting be okay in this part of the country? And, would a White's Prizm II or a Garrett's Ace 250 give good results or are they the wrong type of detector? Any other Rusty Bunchers in this part of the country that still go dumping? I can't wait to get dumping again. - Thanks, Shu

shu, you sound just like a lot of us who have returned back into the can hobby, late 30's early 40's, kid collector in the late 70's ealry 80's unitl your late teens...up in the northeast ( ny-new eng, etc) we will detect for scattered dumped cans, like to look where they could be under the pine needles and leaves esp around old hunting camps, dont think there are many pits on the east but you can adn will find buried cans with a detector...candog once found a huge pit near augusta GA??, actually it was a well, contain about 1000 qts, maybe you can find some more buried wells..well welcom eaboard and good luck, kb

Shu, welcome! I live in Winder, GA and occassionally go dumping with some of the other rustbutts in this area. Candog found a couple real sweet places outside Augusta, and there has got to be a lot more! Stay in touch, we have canvention in Charlotte this year, plus a show this Nov in Asheville, NC. We have had a show in Augusta the past 2-3 years, in March, and that tradition will be back next March

Looking forward to dumping this fall!

Paul