General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Gold Bug

Dave,

I'll be honest, I don't remember all the different models some of these guys suggested. Like car models, metal detector models change from year to year. What was top technology in 1996 may be old and inefficient today. All I know is these guys at the monthly meeting could rattle off facts about metal detectors like Marc Tracy can tell you about J-spouts or Leon could about Crysler cars.

I was new to metal detecting and those guys who were seasoned vetrans varied from White's models to Fisher models.

I just think it would be interesting to have some dealers or vetran detector enthusiasts come in and show us what they know. Those with closed minds of course won't be pursuaded. Just like a dyed in the wool Ford man isn't going to listen to talk about the new Chevys. But for those of us who are interested in the facts may find we could much better than the old technology of a Gold Bug.

Vince

vince,

I knnow that you are a big fan of the Bounty Hunter.Thats cool!
John Smoller has a real nice one also. However,ask him wich one pics up can pits better? Cover your ears!!! The Gold Bug.......................

It is your personal choice which machine you use.I have used many different makes and modles.They all found cans.But NONE even come close to the Gold Bug.
Vince, do me a favor and rent a Gold Bug and find some cans. Then maybe you can right a story for the Rustlings. I havent seen any big can finds from you in the rustlings. Just these people and there **** Gold Bugs.
Just a thought.
Robert Haskett

Well Robert,

I have used a Gold Bug and I've been around people who have used a Gold Bug, and, I was NOT impressed. It worked, that's about all I can say. The ONLY feature I liked was the "no-motion" feature. But a lot of detectors out there have that.

The only reason I use my Bounty Hunter is because it works and it's cheap. If something should happen to it, I don't worry. In the future, I may buy something else. I just don't know what right now. My White's Surfmaster blows my Bounty Hunter away in depth performance. But, it only has earphones, and that is annoying, or I'd use it more. I recommend a Bountry Hunter for beginers so they don't blow a lot bread on something they may not use very often. Sort of like having a bike with training wheels. LOL!

Listen, I used to belong to a metal detector club. And those guys who eat, drink and sleep metal detectors showed me models that could really find deep stuff. So, Robert, you think your (LOL) Gold Bug is the best? Well we'll have some dealers bring in some models and see how they match up at a Canvention or Blue and Grey. Then we'll see. That is, unless you're afraid to match you Gold Bug up against some other models. The Denver Canvention is coming up in a year or two. That may be the place to have a "detector showdonw." I think it'd be fun. Plus we'd all learn something. LOL!

Well, does Denver sound good for a "detector showdown" to the rest of you guys???

Vince

V ,
the only thing better than a Gold Bug would be something that had a digital screen showing the shape of what was down there and how deep. Its possible theres something better but whos going to throw the $ into something that one wont know how well it works until they try it and how many do you have to try until you find something decent.And then in the end is it any better than the Gold Bug? You have to take it out in the field and not just take the "experts" word for it. They can lead you in the right dircetion. The experts that which you speak are after coins and jewelry and get excited when they find a wheat cent! They probally were laughing at the beer can collecting hobby in general and not the detector you use. They see beer cans as trash that get in there way of finding nickels and buttons.

Use what you like and what works best for you and others will use what works for them, back to my oringinal question
...........who first used a gold bug?

out

Dan

It comes down to who is finding the cans and what do they use? Hands down its the Gold Bug. Although Bill Lindstrom was finding pits with is old Whites. Most of the guys digging killer cans in pits are using Gold Bugs. I don't need a dealer coming down and showing off his detectors. I want to know from the guys finding the cans. Can we say GOLD BUG! I learned how to use mine properly from Ed S. this past weekend.

Later,

Tom I. (one of the guys who likes to run his mouth!)

I think the facts speak for themselves. More cans have been found by GOLD BUG's than ANY other detector. Its a free country though and you can use whatever you want. You can get used ones on ebay for $250. That's pretty cheap. I couldn't see using anything else.

I have used White's 4900/5900 for years with decent results. I used to poo-poo the Gold Bug too, until I rented one for the day and landed digging $500 worth of cans in a half an hour! I brought the rental back and bought it on the spot! A Gold Bug will pay for itself if properly used and it's very easy to operate unless your mental.

Ed S

LOL! Well, you guys sound like a bunch of car nuts. I can remember hearing guys talk about their Ford, Chevy or Dodge truck or car the same way. Why, you couldn't convince them that there was anything better that what they and their friends had. So, a contest isn't going to convince you in the "Gold Bug" crowd anything.

But, the other hundreds of members of the RB might like to see how the Gold Bug stacks up against the many models out there.

Vince

I used one in 1979 to dig cans on an old road
near my house. My grandfather had givin it to me to use and I thought I bet I can find cans easy with this. Boy did I!

The best feature on my Gold Bug is how I can tune it. I've set it to only find Shastas & Lucky Lagers with 100% perfect results!

Actually, on my last trip I got out in the middle of nowhere and the thing took a dump... stopped working. Had to rig it & only the motion setting seems to work now. Is www.brokendetector.com the best place to fix these? -Mike

Re: Re: Gold Bug

I didn't know the Gold Bugs had such a setting, Can you adjust the setting to only find Leidigs Dutch Mill cones & Niborgs LEON.

My Gold Bug seems to be stuck on the 1950's Burgermeister and Regal Pale setting. At least the Spam setting hasn't worked since the 1st time I had used it!

Ross

One thing I like about the Gold Bug is that you can set the volume real quiet. I'm not saying this isn't possible on other makes and models, but I played around with a Whites, and there was no way to set the volume. It was permanently set, and it was too loud. I don't recall the model. I guess you could use ear phones, but that makes it harder to be aware of your surroundings. Also, it didn't seem as sensitive as the Gold Bug. It seemed like you had to get closer to the metal source, and it would sometimes miss something, requiring another pass. If the Gold Bug is working properly, it seems to go off at nearly 3 feet or more, and seems more sensitive, but I wasn't comparing the two different detectors at the same time, and I'm just a beginner.

I also played with a Tesoro (Silver Max?) once. It had a volume control, but the annoying thing was that as soon as you turn it on, it makes this loud start up noise, and *then* reverts to whatever volume you have it set to. The noise is brief, but loud and long enough to raise attention. That could be a real problem.

LG

I am just not sure on how much better V. expects a Gold Bug/metal detector to be. The GB rocks! The only way to make a GB better or any detector for that matter, is if it had X-ray vision so you could read the labels of the cans before you dug!!!!

Ed S

Well i never used a gold bug and use a bounty hunter and had the chance to see this difference this past weekend....the gold bug seemed to work much better at not only finding cans but pin pointing them as well...now i know what you guys mean when you say it sings! I love that rather than just a blip here and there and like the no motion setting as well...ill probably be looking for one after the holidays...
mike