General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
metal detectors

I need to know which metal detector is the best for finding cans. I got a few leads on some dumps in my area and don't want to just start digging where there aren't any cans! Thanks Greg

Re: metal detectors

I've found some pits with my Newly aquired Goldbug LEON.

Leon, Do you know where I can buy one on the east coast. I live in PA. Thanks , Greg

Hi Greg:

Just use the search button on this site and click "metal detector" and you will get a ton of advise from inexpensive Radio shack to the more expensive Gold Bugs!!

At least you are in a state w/super rare cans----good luck---Brent

Thanks Brent I'll check into that now. Greg

Re: Re: metal detectors

I bought mine off ebay like some others have done. Theres always some on there but can get exspensive LEON.

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/indexmain.htm

Try that site. A guy I used to work with turned me on to it several years ago. He liked to go out looking for gold, not cans, but this site definitely has something for everyone. They have all different brands and price ranges, as well as accessories and upgrade parts (larger coils, etc.). Last I knew, you could order a catalogue from them, too. Garrett's, Fisher, White's...name it, they have it.

If you're price conscious, though, second hand (eBay) might be a better bet.

Dave

Most people tend to gravitate toward the Fisher Gold Bug. BUT, there is a dozen different brands each making about a dozen different models and changing those models every few years. So, there are literally hundreds of choices. To say the Gold Bug is the best and ONLY choice is silly. But, they work and many guys are familiar with them, so it's not a bad choice.

If you're looking for the BEST detector, I think you'll need to join a metal detector club for your answer. There are too many choices that change all the time. In those clubs you can get to try differnt models on group hunts.

I have a White's Surfmaster. It gets great depth but you HAVE to use the head phones, they're permanently attached. So, mostly I use a Bounty Hunter Tracker ID. In other States I've found Horlucks, Hop Golds, Storz Winterbrus, Black Eagles etc. with it. But here in Colorado, I find Coors! LOL!

I recently tried out a Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker. It worked well, and was inexpensive and had a jack for interchangable coils. So, you can get a big coil. My BH Tracker has the coil soldered in, so it's hard to change. Some big sporting good stores carry those.

Vince

well..I dropped you an email...but..since I feel like typing.....search for Tesoro Silver Umax - 249 new.....probaly cheaper on ebay.....its really easy...two knobs and a switch......BUT..the switch is awesome.....I detect in ALL METAL mode..when I find something can-sized I switch to discrimination with minimal disc. - if the signal is the SAME size....its probaly aluminum or something else - if the signal is still good..but....seems a little smaller..its probaly a beer can (its picking up the lead in the seams....this works for other tins..oil cans) - if you get a BLIP or nothing.then its DEFINITELY barbed wire or a soup can...anybody who has scatter-dumped with me before has seen my tutorial..hehe....Ive tried about a dozen detectors..for both coins and cans....and...this one is the best and easiest..if you find a used Shadow X2 - thats very similar (the Silver Umax has the same platform)....both are sensitive and I have found cans at a foot or more pretty easily with them

Thanks guys for all the info. Pete, I was on the Tesoro website last night. Now I just have to pick one and start diggin!!! Greg