ASD/SPD Discussion Board UK

We hope that you will find this a warm and welcoming place to make friends and help to support other parents who have children with Autistic Spectrum Disorder and Semantic Pragmatic Disorder. This forum is based in the UK and is for parents in the UK as we have found that issues which are faced by parents differ greatly across the continents. The discussions here are mainly support and building friendships and the only things we ask are that you do not ask for medical or dosage advice (we are parents not medical experts!) and that you do not try to FORCE your opinions onto others as we are all entitled to our own points of view.
To return to my homepage please click the following link
HOME Or click RETURN TO WEBSITE below

THANK YOU
Lady A xx

For a list of abbreviations used on the forum click HERE

ASD/SPD Discussion Board UK
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: my lil sister with autism

Princess
im sorry its taken so long for me to reply,Hoildays and all that.
My daughter has aspergers and shes 12 i also have a son he is 9.
You sound a very sensible girl so im going to talk to you like a young adult not a child.
Firstly try to understand that yr parents are probably frightened.When yr told your child has asd its a very scarry time.All sorts of questions go through yr head,how can i help? was it somethink i did?along with those thoughts comes an overwheling feeling of protection.I am sure that your parents are proud of you and love you and would do everythink to stop you feeling left out.
I often feel guilty that i spend so much time fighting my daughters corner that my son gets less time.My daughter has many fears that stop her from doing things my son HAS missed out sometimes,try as i might i cant be in two places at the same time lol.
over the yrs my hubby and i have worked it that my hubby takes my son to places he wants to go that my daughter is afraid of and i stay with her.
Talk to yr mom,she would want you to.Explain that it hard for you also.That you understand yr sis is having problems and will support her but that YOU need time alone with yr mom/dad.If you worried to talk about yr sis for fear of upseting yr folks dont be.
If you are worried about how to bring the subject up print this reply off and give it to yr mom/dad they will understand, the most important people in yr folks life are you and yr sis all parents want their kids to talk to them about anythink.
I hope you get this message and i hope you do talk to yr folks.
If you want info on asd post here i will get my daughter to explain things to you from a 12yr old with asd point of view.
good luck and take care. vicky

Re: Re: Re: Re: my lil sister with autism

hello princess
i am vickys daughter, rosie i have autism and i'm twele . because i have autism sometimes my parents have to spend a lot of time with me but that doesn't meen they don't love my brother, same with your family.when your sister is anxious and your parents are helping your sister don't let it bother you as soon as they have finished helping your sister.you could say hey fokes wanna play a game or watch a dvd .so that you don't feel left out.as i have autium if your still curious and nervous after this letter just write back and i will try my best to help you.rerember feelings are a good thing from rosie.