Finally cleaned up my half of what C. Bacon and I dug in Maine last month,
story upcoming in Rustlings. Here's a couple observations on zip
tops as used by Narragansett, and a Bud pint with juice tab that, like most
other cans in this dump, had the tab itself stuffed into the can. Turns out
the tab is more zip-like, with no ring, and is made with a single piece of
aluminum with no rivet and the tab is just a ruffled end. Can is four cities,
filled in St. Louis.

I'm no expert on zips, but noticed how NOT neat and tidy the transitions were
from one tab to the next especially when comparing pints and twelves of the same
label. Here's hoping the tab book will at least get everyone using the same terms
even if we don't all agree on what they should be.

First pics are a lineup of three pints we turned, the oldest lid being for the can
that matches the last flat top. It has the flat zip lid with no smile beads and the
simple direction to pull tab-pull open engraved in a v-shape. They quickly added the
'flip top' slogan and by this time the lid had the channel around the edge for getting
a fingernail under the tab. Can't see it in the pic, but instruction is the same except
it drops the word 'open.' Third can goes back to the plain 'king size,' except now the
three-word instruction is in an arch alongside the channel.

However, in the matching 12oz'ers, the first zip (again, matches the flat top of the same
style) is the flat, instructionless lid before the 'flip top' slogan is added. First
'flip top' can comes with the flat OI lid, AND as the channeled, v-text, instruction lid.
Then smile beads came in and the instructions change all over the place. What a mess. I
guess the moral of the story is it's pretty tough to date either single cans or any particular
label by the style of zip top. The lids seem to jump all over the place, and the brewery may not
have cared to immediately update pints and twelves at the same time.

On a lighter note, the same dump had this juice or insert tab Bud can with the tab
stuffed inside the can. Cool!

Re: zip top pics, and the new Juice Zip

whoops

Re: zip top pics, and the new 'Juice Zip'

Thanks for pics always cool to see the cans in line to show the differant Zips made seams like it was a confusing time in 60s

You all got me lookin at my tabs again, I just noticed I have two different 4 city Bud zips from St. Louis, one is pat. pending and the other one matches the six pack holder. Anyone else have a six pack holder showing zip tops? That is a cool early juice Bud. My juice Bud (6 city) and juice Busch (5 city) both have the rings. I guess I may pay a little more attention to juice tops now. Thanks for the pics!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Steve H

Re: Re: zip top pics, and the new 'Juice Zip'

Hey Steve,
The Bud doesn't fit my collection if you want it for the
shipping cost. Back is about the same. I had just never seen
that ruffled tab handle before.

Yeah, if you were confused in the 60's it means you were really there!

Yes Mr. Menke, I would be happy to take that speciman off your hands. I will Email you tomorrow. Thanks!

Steve H.

Menke any of them traders/sellers? interested in some Zips