General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Restoring wooden beer cases

I'd posted this under the "Asking at garage sales" thread,but thought it might warrant a larger audience.I like collecting boxes,too,and have found these tips helpful in bringing back faded wood beer cases...

Okay..not that anyone cares,but-here's my own wood crate touch up tips.Tried and true...

Wood cases were meant to be USED.And they usually have decades (if not a century) of grime on them.The first thing I do is get some warm/hot water and mix in whatever I have under the sink-Oxy Clean or soap.I go over the box well and get the scum off.

You can also use the powerwasher on the sides,top and bottom.Careful near the graphics,and do it on a hot summer day.It will dry quickly.

Or-I may use a wire brush.Always brush in the direction of the grain,and go LIGHTLY over any writing/logos.You'll need these for the next step.

Hit the hinges and clasp with a Dremel motor tool and take the rust off.If you have broken boards,buy "donor cases" along the way for a few bucks.so your boards match in age and patina.

Take a rag and spray some WD-40 on it for the straps and latch.A Q-tip works well for those small places.

The most valuable tools? Faber Castell Uni Ball pens-in red and black.Also pick up some fresh Sharpies
in the same color.The ones the diameter of your pinkie finger.What I do is carefully outline the borders (you can use a straightedge for the lines)This is your "wall" that holds in the Sharpie.Work quickly and CONFIDENTLY.Too many people "brush" draw and let the marker pause-don't.YOU CAN DO IT

Its amazing how this resembles the original logo in its finished form.The wood sucks it in...

Whatever you do,don't use any sort of varnish.This gives them an unatural shiny finish and locks in all the dirt-just like a can.

Yeah...I know,I'm an artist.Of course I can do it.But trust me here.You CAN do it.Practice on your donor cases-work quick and confident.Its amazing the difference between sides when you are finished.And...you'll have something that both displayable AND functional when you are done.

Re: Restoring wooden beer cases

is it good practice to apply a clear coat or shellac over the wood to keep out termites and other wood eating critters?????? I "had" an Albion crate that everytime I picked it up , there were small piles of saw dust everywhere underneath (thank goodness I kept it in the garage). I eventually just threw it out because the termites were too dense.

out

dan

Nice crates Barry! Does Bart know about that Chief crate????

I do spray some of mine with a clear laquer. It brings the color right out like it was wet! This case was badley faded and I was going to try and "marker it in but sprayed the one side with clear laquer and the colors came right out BAM!! So I did the whole case and like the look of it. I cleaned it first with a wet rag to get dirt off. It was kinda like when you get a can that looks graet wet but when it drys look dull and faded (that was this case)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I have another one that I will take before and afters of when I get it done.
I was too chicken to try and marker it in, cause I thought it would look like a cheap repainted can! But your box looks GREAT!!

Hey Barry, I've started the "Restoration" on one side of the Grain Belt crate. I cleaned the grime off with soap/water/brush, the wood really brightened up. I've carefully "scraped" off the Black paint with a small, semi-dull knife(It was an experiment that actually worked o.k.) Got the Uni-ball pens & actually am finished with the Black lettering. Looks pretty nice. My question is: The Red Diamond & rectagle outline are a dark Red, almost Maroonish. The Red uni-ball/sharpie came out REALLY bright Red,(I did a tiny test patch) it looks funny, what do you recommend? Does sharpie make a Maroon or Burgundy? Thanks buddy! -Roger

Yeah,Sharpie makes a maroon.You can get them in a multi pac at a Wal Mart or buy a single at an art store.You'll have to work quick on the edges-once you get that "outline wall" you can go nuts.

Thats good news-can't wait to see it!