General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Michigan dumping excursion

I live in northern Ohio and have been to most of Michigan, including the UP on snowmobile adventures. I'd love to join up with some fellow RBers on a dumping mission sometime. Unfortunately, my work schedule wouldn't allow me to get out until mid to late November. Also, keep in mind that I'm a rookie, but eager to learn and am not afraid of hard work. Is it common to run into deer hunters that time of year? And I suppose its not uncommon to have some early snowfall at that time as well.

Re: Michigan dumping excursion

Hi Bryan. Email me about a trip this fall. I live in Ann Arbor and have a few dumps we could hit a few hours north here in Michigan. Chris

Re: Re: Michigan dumping excursion

Sometime in November the Hunters are every where. Not sure exactly when as I'm not a Hunter. A can Hunter, does that count? LEON.

Bryan2

You don't have to go that far into Michigan to find cans. Here's a picture of a find Mike Belanger and I made in Quincy Michigan not far from the Indiana-Ohio border.

Leon,

Here is one of the cans Mike and I found north of Lake St. Helens.

One day Mike and I were taking this dirt road north of Lake St. Helens. We came to this clearing where they had just cut down the trees and had replanted sapplings. Well, in the distance was this rickety deer blinds and campers pits were around the area. I noticed that when they dug a hole for a sappling they exposed some trash. Well, Mike and I broke out my two metal detectors. And we start finding small camp pits all over the place. It was the first time I'd ever experienced finding cans that way. I was a newbie to the pit finding game. And here we were finding them. Mike and I must have found half a dozen or more pits of cans buried.

This Black Label came out of a pit of Goebels and Black Labels. Everything was about this condition coming out of these pits. I wish I'd taken pictures at the time. But, we found a pit of buried Tudors, a pit of Blatz zip tabs and other stuff. This Black Label is all I have left of the memories. It's a shelf can in my collection. Just something to show that pits can be found in Michigan and the condition you could find.

Vince

I'm sorry, I meant to say there were campfire rings in the area around this deer blind. But, the point is that finding pits of buried trash around where campfire rings are works in the LP of Michigan as well as the UP.

So, if you go hunting for cans in Michigan, use a detector.

Good luck and show us some pix.

Vince

Chris, I will definitely email you soon, just to touch base and give you an idea of my free time. I live in Marblehead and can usually make the Michigan border on 23 in about an hour or so.

Any room for another? I would love to go and experiance the great Michigan air!

OldCrown: Man, you guys are so difficult to get a hold of! No email address. Shoot me an email and we can plan a trip.

sorry its a easy one oldcrowncollector@yahoo.com I need to talk to ya on rubbing out the Katz can as well.
Sounds cool on trip I live close to Angola Ind myself.

Nov 15 opening day of rifle season.Bow season opens earlier not sure when.Im up for some dumping too.We could have aconvoy.

October 1 bow hunting,November 15 gun hunting But wait don't foget the youth hunt in september. The youth hunt is limited to private land only...

what about Sundays? In Virginia hunting is banned on Sundays so it's safe to go dumping then.

Mark

Just a very few counties have banned sunday hunting. none in the U.P. as far as I know.

I guess we'll have to wear some orange...hopefully that doesn't scare the cans away?

OK now all I gotta do is wait for the email