General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rarest can from Colorado?

Which is the most difficult beercan from Colorado which actually held beer? Silver State? Pikes Peak Malt Lager? Century Quart Bock Flat Bottom pre IRTP (Well, why not?). The rarest can can’t be Pikes Peak Beer or the Karl’s which states “Made from…Spring Water” ( I have no idea what is in the middle) because I have those two cans. While I’m thinking about the Karl’s can. Are all the “Spring Water” cans Keglined cans too? The more common one seems to always be a Kan-Kegs.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Out, out
El Basurero

Re: Rarest can from Colorado?

Pikes Peak Malt LAGER in 12oz is pretty tough and one was dumped in the Sierras. I bought it for $8 at a local CA show and traded for an indoor Manhattan Beer 4-panel & Manhattan Ale. The 8oz is 10X harder! I had an 8oz that came out of the Valleo mud flats of San Francisco Bay/Delta - found it in an antique shop for $5 with only one displayable side.

Ed

Re: Re: Rarest can from Colorado?

Silver State is pretty tough, Last indoor I seen got over $10,000 LEON.

Yeah, Silver States are way cool but there's about a case of them out there. I know of 6 or 7 that were dug in the last 5 years and a couple indoor finds too.

There are old ads for Telluride Beer in cap-sealed cans and another ad with a pictured Coors LIGHT Beer next to a Coors Export from the 30s. These haven't been found yet.

Ed

tuffest tab...yop hat?...great looking can also!

sorry top hat....

I'm thinking perhaps Old Gibralter from Trinidad may be the one but there are others more informed than me.

Another tough one is the Old Gibralter from Tivoli, also the 8 oz. Pikes Peak STOUT malt liquor.

Scott

There are a lot of tough cans from Colorado. Unfortunately, they're not found in Colorado.

Coors seemed to dominiate so heavily here, that many Tivoli and Walters brands got shipped to California, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and even the Carolinas.

My buddy Curt dug some nice Pikes Peak Malt Lagers in California out of a cistern by an old garage. I had one in my first collection from that find. They've also been dug in the Carolinas. I've dug once the Pike Peak Beer from Tivoli near Wrightwood California. My buddy Curt dug Top Hat in California. I know Curt has dug it and Ray may have too.

I'm not all that knowledgable on the rarity of Colorado cans. I've been to some collector's homes here in Colorado who had Tivoli and Walters cans that I didn't know existed. Since the one guy was a shine only colletor, some of his may have never been officially produced.

In my opinion, cans like the Old Gibraltar by Tivoli is tougher than the Pikes Peak ML by Walters, and the Pikes Peak Beer by Tivoli. I've seen the others a few time dug by others and I've dug the PPB.

How about the Kol by Metz (really Walters) or the Kol by Tivoli (was this actually produced or a rolled can?) How do those fit in? Are there only rolled Canadian Ace by Tivoli? Any dumpers?

Anyway, that's my take.

Vince

I think we need to seperate rare from valuable. Certainly, Silver State is likely the most valuable Colorado cone. There are dumpers found floating around. My buddy Curt didn't even realize he had Pikes Peak Malt LAGER until he went to the Phoenix show in 1979 and got 007s and other rare stuff offered for them. Those cans are valuable.

But, Pikes Peak 8oz Stout ML? How many are there of THAT one out there? Any one dug one? How about Old Gibraltar from Tivoli or Schnieder? Anyone dig one? And again, the Kol by Metz of Peublo?

Vince

I was mistaken - the little 8oz I had was a PPStout not Malt Lager. Traded to long time Colordao collector Scott Rollert - he didnt have it after 30 years of collecting- so it must be rare!

Would I rather have a Silver State over the PP? You bet!

Ed

I don't know about you guys. But THIS is my favorite Pike Peak can.

I just wish I had one in better shape than this one.

Vince

Good responses. Telluride Beer and a 30s Coors Light can? Do you have pictures of those ads? I’d like to see that.

Vince are you talking about the Kol tab from Metz? I have the tab from Kol Brewing (Pueblo) and the striped Kol flat from Metz therefore neither of these two cans are that difficult. So, using that rational, the Top Hat tab couldn’t be that difficult either. Also, is the Tivoli Kol the striped or the blue version?

On a similar thread which Colorado cans have never been dumped? Both Old Gibraltars? Canadian Ace? Hynne flat tops? I also wonder about the Aspen Gold can.

Colin

I have heard that the Canadian Ace was rolled, but I cannot tell from my can. Also, mine is top opened, has a slight fade on one side and has rust on the bottom. I got this can from a huge collection purchased from old time Dallas area collector Oscar Mehl in the early 90's.

Mike,
I've never seen that can as a tab before. It certainly looks like it held beer. Does that can have some sort of alcohol statement on the bottom lid? If so, then that seems odd; none of my Tivolis have anything like that.
Colin

Was this label ever filled? Just courious.

FRJ

I will need to dig it out and look ( I had the photographs for another debate a year ago). I believe it simply states Tivoli Brewing Company, Denver Colorado but I will verify tonight.

- Mike

Colin, what USBC number is that Karl's? I think I may be able to send you an upgrade from a bunch we found in Texas last year.

Tom,
That can isn't in the USBC. It's like 87-4, but there are a couple differences. On the can in the book the top band in yellow has "An exquisite product of the master brewer" and it's a Pacific Kan-Kegs. On my fine example the top band states "Made from...water", and it's a Keglined can. If you have an upgrade I would be very appreciative.

I wonder if these are the only two variations of Colorado Karl's. That is I wonder if the more common one that appears in the book was ever released as a "Keglined" can. Of the twenty or so that I've seen, they all seem to be Kan-Kegs. Anybody know?

Eureka! After looking at the two cans I've discovered that the sayings on the cans are switched. On the more common can on the right the upper band reads "An...Brewer" and the small white writing circling around the main label states "Made from purest Colorado mountain spring water" which I assume the can on the left had written on the top band. Humm? I wonder what Coors thought about that?

Since I only do 12 oz flats, I can't comment on the rarity of any Colorado tabs or cones.

I dumped Karl's K cans last week just out side of Denver "Made from purest Colorado mountain spring water" and have also dumped the other variation in NE New Mexico. The "made from" variation in my collection has KEGLINED between the two faces (American Can Co), the other is KanKeg (Pacific Can Co).
I have dumper FLATS of Old Gibraltar from Schneider, Hynne, Aspen Gold, Colorado Gold Label, Crystal Colorado, Tivoli Gardens, Hi-en Brau, Top Hat, Winchester and Kol (Metz), so they were filled. I have never seen a dumper FLAT of Canadian Ace or Old Gibraltar (Tivoli).......KOL by Tivoli must be a tab, no flat like that in my memory. Tivoli had a bunch of airfilled cans in tab and flat and finding dumpers verifies that they were filled.
I believe that the Top Hat tab is more common than the Top Hat flat, and dumpers are even rarer.The Pikes Peak MALT LIQUOR 115-31 is tougher than hen's teeth. I dumped a couple with Tom Chegash and Charlie Smigo near the Cold Harbor battlefield in the early '90's, and we were pretty unimpressed about them until Scott Rollert told us how uncommon/rare they were (and still are).
I think the Pikes Peak Malt Lager is the rarest of the Colorado cans, but certainly not the most desireable. Very tough to find in any condition is the Denver Beer with Tivoli on the top, 53-26, but once again, not a great looking can. The other extremely tough can would be Walter's Ye Olde Ale, 144-13, much more uncommon than 144-11.

I am still trying to track down some of the less rare, but maybe they are rare, Colorado cans......specifically Berghoff 36-5 and My 101-6, and 7. Dumper condition only.

John

Forgot to mention COORS 51-22.
I have yet to see this can as a dumper in any collection I have visited. There is an opinion among the local collectors, that go to shows, that this can might have been a test can and never filled. I have only seen a few of these cans, less than 4.

John

That Gold Label with the yellow stripe is only the 2nd one that I have seen. The first one was rolled. I like that canadian ace tab!! I love the Pikes Peak Malt liquor. I have both shine and rust in my Colorado collection..

John,
Wasn't that a Pikes Peak Malt Lager you dumped with Tom and Charlie years ago? I know Malt Lagers were dumped in Stafford County about the same time. I remember Scott Rollert being pretty impressed with the finds of Lagers back then.
Chris

John,
I have a Berghoff 36/5 on my shelf that has your name on it. All you have to do is come up with a St. Louis ABC Ale OI for me. Those have been dumped in Colorado a few times. Should be no problem right!!!!Find me a respectable example of that can and I'll send you the Berghoff and much more.

Jack, I had 2 of those Gold Label Yellow strips when I was selling all those Colorado cans on ebay a few years ago. But think I only listed 1. Think I got around $60 & then sold the 2nd for $60 with out listing. Maybe that one you seen or the one now pictured was one of mine? Has to be more then those 2, I think mine was possibly rolled & possible test. Cant remember. LEON.

I did find a chip of an ABC Ale o/i, but that wasn't even enough for me to save. The ale cans have beeen dumped in the Red Feather Lakes area, and outside of Taos. Rick natter, Scott Rollert, Mike Murphy and Jeff Davidson have all been rewarded by dilligence.
John

The Gold Label with the yellow band at the bottom I’ve seen once before. Nice can. I like the Canadian Ace too. I hope both those cans end up in the new book.

John, thanks for the post; however, I disagree with you on one point which relates to my basic philosophy: if it’s on my shelf, then it ain't rare.

So, that pastelish Walter’s Ale 144-13 can’t be that tough. Nor is the My from Metz (101-6). Whilikers, I even found that can 20 years ago along an irrigation ditch.

What about those Berghoff Draft cans {36 (7-9)} and the Colorado Gold Label (72-7) or the Heritage?

Nice to know about the Old Gibraltar. Perhaps I’ll have a chance at one.

Out Out
El Basurero

So John,

You're saying THIS is the tougher Walters. I got Walter's Ale like this out of Sterling Colorado.

Actually, me and my buddy didn't get to dig the dump. This lady rancher didn't want us digging the dump on her property. SO, she dug the dump for us and bought us the cans. We slipped her $20 and told her thanks. But, this came from a hay ranch in Sterling Colorado.

Vince

Yes, #144-13 is tougher than 144-11.
No one has to believe it, it is my opinion based on my observations and conversations with local knowledgeable collectors as recently as last night. Like I said, I don't know anything about tabs.
I could have put the MY cans on the shelf numerous times, they are just unappealing to me, and I never picked them up, same with the Berghoff draft cans. I see them occasionally at local shows, but have never picked one up. Don't know about dumpers of the Berghoff draft cans.
Another can that I had always thought was an airfill is the Becker's from Tivoli, but my neighbor has on that is definitly off grade and was consummed. I keep pestering for him to trade it to me, since he colects on grade and the Becker's is the only dumper I have seen. Maybe I'll find something he's into......

I basically susbscribe to the same theory, Colin.....if I have it, it can't be rare, but that doesn't always ring true any more......people tell me that I have some tough cans on the shelves.

John

Quick question for you Colorado guys:

What's the connection on the different Brewerys on the My Beer flat tops?(USBC 101/6,7,8,9). I always thought that MY Brewery(omaha) was bought out by Metz Brewery(omaha) and than Walters(Pueblo)bought out Metz. Not sure how Metz(pueblo) fits in here.

Sounds like I am talking about all that begatting stuff in Bible

Later--Brent

I know the Becker's by Tivoli wan't just airfilled or rolled. We dug the tab and flat version of that can in the 1970s when I lived in California. So, it was produced. I can't say how common Tivoli Beckers were, as I wasn't counting the Tivoli ones verses the Becker's ones. It seemed a lot of the Tivoli and Walter's stuff showed up in California.

Vince

Brent,
I think it is a DBA thing -- doing business as -- so it would be Walter's Brewery, Pueblo, Colorado,DBA as
Metz Brewing Co, Pueblo, Colorado after Walter's had bought Metz and the rights to various brands (Metz and My).
Is that what you were looking for as an answer, or did I miss it completely?

John

Leon,
The one I saw was at Toledo and I think the guy had "Test Can" on the top. I also thing the seam was glued?? What were yours? I also like the different colors used on the same cans. flat/enamel paint...

Jack, Dont remember what the seam looked like but remember I thought they might have looked rolled, Maybe air filled too? LEON.