General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bummer

Well i just spent the last 3 days hauling a 100 year old bar/hotel away that was being demolished in dannemora NY...all 360 tons of it. Monday morning just as they were starting i went inside with a few guys to poke around quick and didnt see anything. I told all the guys on the crew that if they see anything that slightly resembled a old can to save it...not even a tab came out of this building..BUT today when the guy blasted through the floor boards into the basement he found a small long since closed off room. After talking with one of the old timer neighbors he was told thats where they stored the booze during prohibition. I crawled down into it hoping to find at least a old bottle but again skunked...maybe next time...
mike

Re: Bummer

I had a guy call me yesterday who found about 40 Hamm's OI's under a porch of an old house in 2004.He said he had "more cans" and that some were different.A real redneck type-used the words "dude and bud" a lot.

Well,I was figuring more late 30's stuff,and even came back up the the Twin Cities after work.Mannny phone calls later we finally hook up at a bar.I buy him a cold one,and he's excited,so he brings a plastc bag in with the cans clanking away---

I open the bag and theres a bunch of Hamms starburst cans and a rusty GBX staring back at me.He's got more in the car,so I keep my heart steady.Well,theres a Bean and Bacon Days can,various commemoratives....and
about 4 BOTTLES OF HAI KARATE cologne?? Ooops-almost forgot the racquetball plaque!

Only 30 to 50 years difference in dates.Redneck boy must have figured that he'd cash in again with the beer can "dude" in a big way.

Figured I'd add this to your bummer thread-oh well,you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find that prince!

Barry, I think you LIKE making trips up to my neck of the woods (Minneapolis) & seeing crappy cans And again....no call from you to meet up for a beer

Was on vacation in NY last week. I had 2 great leads to follow up on.

Lead # 1 - the most promising - called me a few days before I was leaving and told me he's not ready to do anything with the cans. NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! This is the lead I've been hoping would make me a somebody!

Lead # 2 - an unknown collection that I nabbed a single cone and flat from about a year ago. I was expecting some pretty good stuff. I called several times and left messages and never got a call back. The seller knew I'd be up there and was expecting my call and a visit. It didn't happen.

Not giving up on either lead, but as for beer cans it was a non-productive vacation. Instead of dumping I spent most my time fishing with my boys. My 7 year old is a beast with a fishing rod!

Steve

Re: Re: Bummer

Steve, While at the boat dock you should have reach your hand down in the Mud & pulled out a few cans, This would have made your day LEON.