General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Painted over Iron City

Hello guys,

I have a painted over (in red with decoration) Iron City cone top I probably shouldn't have bought awhile back on E-bay for around $27. The seller works at a Goodwill Store, and it was donated with some other junk. I was wondering if any of you restoring experts would like to take a shot at removing the red paint. I'll mail it to you and pay for your time, and I fully understand there would be no guarantee.

My e-mail is: unnamableman at aol dot com

Thanks from Cleveland,
Rick Sanders

Re: Painted over Iron City

Chris is the official rubber boy. Chris, you wanta borrow my rubbing wheel? LEON.

Leon...I'm the Official Rubber boy? What the heck is that? Sorry, I don't work for Trojan and never have.

Sorry, I have never used rubbing compound on a can that was hand painted. There are some posts on here already about what methods people have used to take that kind of paint off. Just do a search under Paint Removal. There's some ideas about using acetone and solvents. It really depends on the type of paint that the person used to paint you can.

Okay, the "search" didn't work when I tried it, so here's a link to the thread in this forum.

Paint Removal Thread

Chris, Thanks for the info.

I found on this site to soak it in Acetone. Remove and place under warm running water and use a soft toothbrush to scrape off the paint immediately, not waiting even 5 seconds. Sounds easy enough.

I was wondering, how long should I soak it in the Acetone? Acetone doesn't affect the original paint? Or how long before it will?

There should be a photo of the can with this posting if I did it correctly...I believe the flower or fruit bowl decoration may be a painted sticker, as it has an embossed feel to it

Rick

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Looks like that'll be a nice one. I would try a q-tip or cotton ball soaked in acetone just to wipe the paint (test by the seam) to see what happens. If it removes the overpaint and leaves the IC cone (which I expect it will) then you should be okay with the acetone. It will work very quickly. I'm conservative so I'd immerse in acetone for maybe 15 - 20 seconds to see what happens. That handpainted stuff will probably come right off without much effort. If not, try another 20 or 30 seconds. Bottom line - acetone works quickly so don't soak overnight or you'll have bare metal.

Good luck and please post pics when you're done.

Steve

Hi Rick:

Steve's advise above is right on except the seam. You will need to use paint remover on the seam, but do this as the very last step. Use a q-tip and be carefull not to touch any of the original paint!!!

You need to only soak the can in acetone for 20-30 secs is all. The Acetone really does not affect the original paint,but it does soften it some what which will cause scratches if you dont take your time and I cant STRESS this enough--TAKE YOUR TIME!!!

I bet that you have the non-IRTP var. of the Iron City, as this was a 50's fad. and no humidity spotting under that paint either. If it is IRTP please let me know!

Good Luck---Brent

Well, as you can see, I failed. This is what happens when you have a Non-Expert trying something for the very first time that I had no business attempting, and ruining what could have been an excellent condition cone top. I tried to follow the advice explicitly, but still ended up with the result a monkey could have accomplished. Oh well...

Thanks again for trying to help, RB's! At least I only lost $27 paid for the can, and $5 for the acetone.

Rick

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Don't throw it away. Send it to Fred Goerlach so he can use the spout and bottom as donors. He might even trade you a can for it.

I would have soaked it in gas. That has worked for me in the past on paint like that (enamel?) Too bad....would have been a clean one!

It looks like you only did that section, am I right?
If so(since damaged on the side) Try another method on the other side, maybe you can get the front to come out nice?

I repair cans as many of you may know, anyway when using Acetone, only wipe lightly once and let it dry, takes about 5 seconds, then wipe again once,and only small areas. This will get the majority off and it takes time and alot of patience, then use a Q tip to do the small areas that are left, remember let dry between wipes and don't rub!!!! THE EVILBUNNY

Schwartz,.....I did the whole can, not just the one side. The photo is of the worst side, maybe had the thinnest layer of red paint on that side? Some of the red paint in the front/lower area didn't budge.

Evilbunny,.....I immersed the can, and you can see the result. If there ever is a next time, I'll try your method, or maybe pay you to do it? I think I am too chicken to ever possibly destroy another can again.

Ron,.....I don't know Fred Goerlach, but he is more than welcome to use it for donor parts. He can contact me at my e-mail address at the beginning of this message thread.

Rick