General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
smooth talkers wanted

So, tell me, how do you get guys to let you look around in buildings without arousing their suspicions or greed? Do you tell them you're looking for something else? Do you offer to split with them? Do you just hope they're kind and generous?

I'd like to hear some techniques, as I'm still developing my "schtick".

Re: smooth talkers wanted

Be Honest, and have a can to show,,,

Get a hard hat a clip board and one of them green safety vests.

Re: Re: smooth talkers wanted

Go see 'Thank Your for Smoking.' That guy is my hero!

Have a laminated card that says "Urban archeologist" and claim that an hour of your time may save days in construction delays and thousands of dollars.Otherwise,
you'll have the EPA,APE,HEPA and LMNOP crawling around here.If he asks "Who's that?" tell him he doesn't want to know....

Claim that a new terror cell has been using old beer
cans as IED's in older buildings and you're a retired ordinance officer here to sweep the building.

Tell him you'll trade cold beer for old beer,and then have a cold 12 pack in a disposable cooler.Open the lid and say "BEEEEER" in your best Homer Simpson voice.

Tell him you have a cool trick and say "Close your eyes,count to 100 slowly...then run into the building.

Your a crime investigator solving cold crimes.Those involving beer or snow.Tell him that any "evidence" you find must be removed and analyzed "back at the lab"(which is really your basement or garage)

Have flats in cones in a belt holster.Assure the foreman that the "rest of the family" will be safe,if you only get there in time.Tell the cans on your belt "Yore momma's gonna be with you soon,darlin'"

Hold a can you found in one hand,a twenty in the other and say "Which one you want? I'll play this game all morning if I have to"

Set up a karaoke machine and belt out "Lookin' for a simpllllllle kinnnnnnda' can- telling them that you're Lonnie Van Zandt and you'll stop "singing" so loud if they'll let you in.

Pierce a hole in the bottom of a BLACK acme and tie a 3 ft length of string,knotting it inside,cut off the lid,and run up to someone,saying "I've lost my connection!!! THEY CUT ME OFF!!"

Different lines for different times-you be the judge.

i walk up with my beercan photo album, and make sure i skim by the pics with my kids real slow, and tell them its our hobby, and most of the time folks have been real friendly going.
kb

I agree with Bubba. Honesty is a must. If you have a BCCA or RB card of some sort and have an album with your cans, some before and after can photos showing preservation, can get you in and under many buildings and houses. I would tell the homeowners the 50/50, but also offer anything else you find besides cans you might discover. When I'm in the hood, I usually offer $5 or a cold 6pack to look under their old houses. They drink alot of beer and malt liquor in the hood, and this can either be a bust or a gold mine. I haven't tried with cans yet, but with old bottles, it has paid off real well. The worst possible scenerio is being told no, which does happen quite often. Old timers especially. Some around here you could offer a couple $1000 and you would still hear, "absolutely not!" Appearance is also a must. Clean shaven, no holey shirts or jeans, etc. Robert

Kb the photo album works great when you DONT call the land owner a slob.. Actually it worked that time but the expresion on that ladies face was priceless...
mike

Re: Re: smooth talkers wanted

I like Barry's can in one hand & $20.00 in the other Method LEON.

Dave,
Give me a call.