General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Creek Dump #1

Here are some pictures of a tiny ravine dump that I recently dug. While walking this creekPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingI noticed some half buried flats leading up to the dump.The cans were a Falstaff, a Pearl, and an unfamiliar can I need help with the identity. This picture is after I dug the cans.Photobucket - Video and Image HostingMoving up the hill, I spotted the tiny dump and started digging.Photobucket - Video and Image HostingThis is what I ended up with and the crowntainer I posted previously was found at this spot, not the railroad dump. Nothing spectacular, but any can I don't have is a good one to me.Photobucket - Video and Image HostingThe 3 soda flats laying down were found at another dump I found yesterday. I will post about this dump later. Here are some cruddy cans I brought home for the heck of it. One is a Dr. pepper in an oval, a crushed Carling Black LabelPhotobucket - Video and Image Hostingand could someone possibly identify the beer can that starts with a T in red. I found two of these cans here and both are shot. I just brought them home hopefully to get them identified. This can has a woodgrain looking background. Thanks for your help and hope I didn't bore you with these later cans. Robert

Re: Creek Dump #1

I think the T is a D, and the can is a Dorf. From either Chicago or South Bend.

FRJ

Re: Re: Creek Dump #1

Found a couple of the Dorfs in Central Texas as well.

Thanks for the replies Fred and Bill. I knew they were beers, and thanks for identifying them for me. Sucks they are both crummy condition. I guess one day I will find a good example. Hey Bill, really enjoyed your East Texas digging post. Glad to see other people crawl under buildings for treasures. Robert

Check the brewing location of the Black Label. It may be the impossible to find Fort Worth can.

- Mike

This one is brewed and filled in Belleville, Ill. Other side also Cleveland, O., Atlanta, Ga., Frankenmuth, Mich., and Natick, Mass. Robert

Robert,

I can just sense it. The way you're getting out there, soon you'll be showing us pictures of Black Dallas OI or the first Imperial OI found in Texas.

Vince

Whats the crown can you tell? I know some of the Tx guys have found lion beers before.
mike

The crown is a mystery. I have read that crowns don't clean up very well with anything. My guess would be a Southern Select. There isn't even an inkling of paint showing. Oxalic or Citric? Robert

Thanks Vince, I can at least say I'm trying. I have been digging at least once a week for the last 16 years. Rain, sleet, or snow. Yeah, right, I'm in Texas. Major drought for the past 3 years. 26 days over 100 degrees. Yesterday, I dug in temps that reached 103. Drank probably 10 bottles of water, which I always carry plenty of, and my hat was blue when I started. When I got home it was blue and white due to salt I was sweating. Digging and sweating is great for weight loss. After giving up the truck-driving, I was 6'1" and tipped the scales at around 245-250. After all the digging in the past 8 years since trucking, I am down to 205-210. Great exercise! Robert

Almost forgot. When I was leaving this dump, I spotted a license plate sticking half way out of the dirt. All I could read was OPPORTUNITY and was from the 50's probably. The plate was probably 6-8 feet up the ravine from the three cans in the one picture. I didn't think anything about this little hole in the ground right above the plate. No longer did I get my tiny digging tool in the ground, a freakin' swarm of these little bee's or wasps came out of that hole and attacked. I ran down to the creek, leaving my shovel and bucket( which had my camera, water, and cans ). I looked like someone on fire. Two got inside my shirt. Somehow I flailed enough with my gloves and ripped my shirt off quick enough to not get a single sting! Talk about lucky. I sat there and waited for all 50 to individually go back into the hole. Needless to say I was dying of thirst. I tip-toed and very quietly grabbed my shovel and bucket. They can have that license plate!!! Read some previous bee posts and had to share this with you. What type of bees or wasps do you suppose those were. They were alot smaller than a honey bee.

Typically underground bees are yellowjackets, which can be pretty nasty. I had a run-in with them back in '01. They are very active in the late summer and through the fall.

There are a number of bees, hornets and wasps that live underground so i t could be one of many. I dug up some bees once but i wasnt lucky like you and got stung several times. Steve G had a bad experience at a i dump i gave him directions to...still fell bad about that one.
Just to give you a idea how big some nests can get...at a place i used to work a guy started to uncover one in a dirt pile we had to fill pot holes in our yard. we waited till the next morning before the sun came up and poured some fuel on it and ignited it. afterwards we uncovered it and it was like a flat honeycomb that was 6 or so layers thick and almost 4 feet in diameter...good thing the guy didnt disturb them too much when he started diggin!
mike

Thought I heard the Agressive African Killer Bee has now Migrated from Mexico north into Texas? Is this True? If so watch out LEON.

With heavy rust like that, definitely oxalic. With a strong batch you may be surprised how well they may clean up.
Chris E.

Wow between Corky's anakes and Robert's attack bees Texas sounds like a risky proposition!

that's snakes not anakes but there are probably anakes doen here too waiting to attack.

Thanks Chris E. for the advice! I don't think they were the Africanized, not as aggressive. One thing is certain, it only took one second for them to make it out of that tiny hole. As far as snakes, the last one I dug up was about 6 years ago. I was using my probe to dig with. Ripping the side off a large can, I revealed three rows of a very thick snake. Turned out to be a 6-7' bull snake. Luckily it was winter and the snake slithered away very slowly. Kind of made me feel sad that I disturbed it's hibernation process. About ten years ago, every dump that I dug in had Copperheads. They are no fun. Rattlesnakes, I have only encountered once. Timber rattlers are the majority around here. I am a snake lover, so they don't bother me too much. If you respect them, they will respect you. Robert