General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Old Cans in Old Movies

Anyone else into spotting old cans (that were current then) in old movies, like on TCM? Of course when I do they're always common but it's still cool to spot an actor drinking out of what is now a very old can. I can think of Paul Newman drinking out of Coors and Pearl flattops in "Hud" and Peter Fonda with a 16 oz. Busch Tab-Top and bikers with Olympia flats or tabs in "The Wild Angels" on Speed the other night. And at the beginning of "It's A Mad,Mad,Mad,Mad World" the scene where Jimmy Durante (as Smiler Grogan) dies is filmed with a small roadside dump in the background. I have this one on DVD and if you pause the film you can see a Brew 102 half quart flat beside his head and a Padre flat a few frames later. The rest of the cans are unidentifiable, except for a Campbell's Soup can, but you can tell this is a real roadside/hillside dump in California in 1963. I don't really know where I'm going with this, I guess I just wanted to know if anyone out there had noticed other cans in other films. John.

Re: Old Cans in Old Movies

It seems that in the really old movies, the cans or bottles were mostly phoney labels. Prodct placement came in the 60's.

Clint Eastwood was a big fan of Olympia. Her drinls it in a number of Dirty Harry movies, as well as Both "Every Which Way but Loose" movies. He drinks a Dixie longneck in Tightrope (the murderer worked at the Dixie Brewery!)

Chuck Norris downs a can of Pearl before driving his buried SUV out of pit in "Lone Wolf McQuaide"

They drink Iron City (and wear a Stoney's T shirt) in "Night of the Living Dead".

They drink cans of National Boheimian in HBO's "The Wire"

Bill Murray drinks a can of Schlitz in "Stripes".

They drink a combination of real brands (Budweiser & Black Label) and phoney prop brands in both bottles and cans in "Animal House"

- Mike

i dont recall the name but it was a movie with clark gable and maralyn monroe about a horse dealer in california,there is a bar scene where they go out in back of the bar and there is a pile of about 500 coors,burgermeister,lucky flat tops .all mint of corse

Ther was a movie I saw about ten years ago with Eric Stolz in it. Think it was a drama. There was a beer can collection in it. Anybody else ever seen the movie I"m talking about?
Greg

Thanks guys; it's cool to see others note these things too! Could the Gable/Monroe movie be "The Misfits"? (Great band too!) I also remembered Dustin Hoffman drinking an Olympia flat in "The Graduate", and Rheingold 12 and 16 oz. flats in Gidget". On a related note, "Mississippi Burning', which takes place in 1967 I think, has Willem DaFoe and Gene Hackman drinking period-correct Dixie cans, and I remember a case of period -correct Falstaff cans in "Forrest Gump". And they drank Pabst flattops in M*A*S*H (the movie), but they were of the wrong vintage for the Korean War. John

>I saw about ten years ago with Eric Stolz in it.....

The most interesting collection I ever saw behind Eric Stolz in a movie was when he played Lance the herion dealer in Pulp Fiction. When he brought Vincent Vega into his bedroom to close the deal, there was a wall of platform shoes, each on its own individual shelf. Found this screen capture....you can see half of one there:

Rand

Herion!!...Bingo.....I remember the name of the movie now with Eric Stolz, with the beer can collection in it. It was called "Don"t Look Back." He played a herion junkie, who stole money from a drug deal and went to Galveston to stay with freinds. The place he was staying had the beer can collection, which they showed in the background. Now I"ll have to find that movie and check it out again. Thanks Rand!

In "Dazed and Confused", the movie about a 70's Texas highschool, the kids drink Grand Prize beer. The only problem was that GP went belly up in the early 60's.

In the "Flying Leather Necks", John Wayne's squadron drinks "Sampson" beer in a bar scene.

Later,

Tom I.

Re: Re: Old Cans in Old Movies

I remember one of those classic 1960s biker movies, one of those you had to go to the drive-in to see where all the bikers were drinking Big Sky Light Lagers. If I remember right, the title was "Angel Unchained". Really a classically bad flick, but it was cool to see the Big Sky cans though.
Chris

In Jaws, Quint downs a 'ganset and crushes the can. Hooper does the same with a foam cup! Classic.
DP

The greatest film of all time for period breweriana is "Jazz" by Ken Burns. Many, many hours of original film shot during the early part of the twentieth century. All of which was filmed in jazz clubs in Chicago, Kansas City New, Orleans etc... Also shots of juke joints in rural southern towns. Most scenes have something. Josh.

I have seen Lucky Lager small x tabs in a couple of biker flicks along with some signs. How about Lucky Lager SS tabs in Deliverence on the cahoolawassy river in Georgia? Was Lucky distributed in Georgia, did the film crew bring the beer, or maybe it was filmed in calif.

I've mentioned the Misfits movie before, from 1961 & nice vintage flat dump scene behind the bar. Remember Brown Derbys in there too. Seen the Biker flicks (usually accompanied by Biker Veterans William Smith & Adam Rourke) with Big Sky beer & Luckys as they do lawn jobs on there bikes in a Park in California, Then that Bob hope military movie from 1966-67 where you see thousands (literally) of Pabst Flat tops every where. LEON.

Here's some movies with cans I remember.

Hud - 1963 - Coors flats and Pearl flats.

South Pacific - late 50s - Guy camaflagues himself in water under floating cans of Lucky Lager.

??? - late 50s B movie - This movie was some si-fi thriller where the teens are drinking Bud Half Quart flats.

Born Losers - 1967 - Bikers drink Busch in tab tops. Head biker call the canned beer "numbers." "Where did you stash the numbers, man?"

Old Jimmy Stewrart Movie - late 30s - gets unknown low-pro cone out of frige.

I remember some of the other mentioned. But thought to add these.

Vince

Born Losers one of my Favorites, A Billy Jack Movie. Dont remember the bud though. LEON.

an old doris day movie /late 30's old guy pulls a o/i ale can out of the fridge,opens it and pours the beer into a glass,she didnt make verymany movies then ill see if i can figure it out.

where the boys are-flat tops ive yet to see in existance some had background colors of the pikes peak multi color malt liquor can,the date of the movie is 1963

Not an old movie, but in the Will Farrell movie Old School dosen't an actual beer can collection make a cameo in the kitichen scene of their frat house?

fallscityfreak

Doris Day's first movie was 1948: Romance on the High Seas.

Thanks Google!

Here are some more:

Revenge of the Nerds - Brown Derby, Kingsbury Near Beer, Dutch Treat & Van Lauter cans

Urban Cowboy - cans of Gilly's and Pearl Light, longnecks of Lone Star, Budweiser and Schlitz

There was a beer can collection in the basement of Edward Furlong's house in "Detroit Rock City"

In Porky's, Meat drinks a Regal, although it is a west coast Regal, not a Miami like it should be. Also, look close in the bar scenes. There is a large flat top beer can collection in the rafters that falls down when the bar gets pulled from its foundation.

Tin Cup - they drink plety of Shiner Bock and Pearl out of longnecks.

I can't remember the name of the movie, but there is a scene where Jack Nicholson is driving a late 60's sedan down a freeway while drinking a Lucky straight steel can.

If you are looking for great breweriana in a movie, check out the film called "Lone Star". The story takes place in the 50's and the early 90's in a Texas border town. There are great period Lone Star, Pearl, Falstaff, Jax, Grand Prize and Shiner pieces throughout the movie. In one scene, Chris Kirstofferson, playing a Sheriff, is poured a beer out of a long neck Grand Prize bottle. Austin and San Antonio area collectors loaned many items out to the production.

- Mike

Ernest, you say he pulled a Ale can out of fridge & then poured a Beer, Wouldn't he be pouring a Ale? LEON.

I lived in Eagle Pass, Texas where Lonestar was filmed. All that breweriana was imported in from somewhere. The word was it cmae from the big bud distributor in San Antonio. Apparently the owner collected breweriana. As you can imagine I hit all the old watering holes looking for cans and such. Very little turned up.

Later,

Tom I.

Hey Bob, that was actually the Nantahala River in North Carolina. Josh.

I know in the movie Fargo, when they are in the bar in North Dakota, they are putting down bottles of Grain Belt.

Josh, Thanks for clearing that up for me. They must have brought the Lucky Lager with them. My ? now is what local beer should they have had to be period correct?

bob

Bad News Bears - Walter Mathau ices down Jodie Fosters elbow in a bucket of iced water with beers in it, I think bottles. But in his first scene (with the 66ish Caddy convertible) he starts a can of beer and tops it off with bourbon or whiskey??
By the way a builder freind of mine opened a wall last week and immediately called me as he was pulling cans out of the wall. All grade 1. All Bud tabs.
Maybe next time....

Scoured Google for a bit and oddly enough could not come up with a whole lot of pictures from movies of beer cans. Did stumble on these...

Jody Foster or Tatum O'Neil? Sorry, my variation fetish for beer cans spills over into other things as well!

-fallscityfreak.

No question - Tatum O'Neil. Jody Foster - what are you thinking ???

I just saw Bad News Bears yesteday.

I Counted four different beers in that movie.

1. Pabst
2. Coors
3. Budweiser
4. And in the end he gives the kids Stenie bottles of Lucky Lager! Very cool! He would have gone to jail these days giving kids beer!!

He did ice down Jody....errrrrr I mean Tatum's elbow with ICE COLD BUD!! Man I was in love with her when I saw that movie when I was a kid!!