General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What would you have done?

Don't let this kill my beer can display thread. I still need ideas!

I was remembering today that one of my jobs as a college student was as a security guard. Great job. I'm the only one in the building for 8 hours at a time.

Believe it or not, I was a guard for a while at the Pabst AND the old Blatz breweries. If I were to do it again, I might have a different perspective. They didn't house any terribly obsure brands, but the only thing I came away with was the Blatz Guest Book.

The Book was heavy leather bound, about 100 years old, and maybe 300 pages, 18"x24". Unfortunately, I must have lost it in transition with one of my moves.

My questions:

1) what kind of value would a book like that have?

2) if you were a security guard in an active brewery, what thoughts would creep into your head as you're touring the empty (but still in use) brewery at midnight?

Re: What would you have done?

I'd wonder how many people were backstroking away to keep afloat in the fermenting tanks, and I'd hope none of them drowned on my shift. The only way you'd know they were there is when they climbed out to pee.

The value of the book would depend upon the signatures it contained.

John

I wouldnt know the value of the book BUT where I work there was a storage building that had tons of neat stuff just gathering dust and sometimes I was tempted to snitch something thinking they will never miss it.
after about 7 years the Powers That Be decided to demolish the building and threw everything in a huge dumpster, then It was fair game and everything I had been tempted to steal was mine nice and Honest!
brought home a truckload!
the moral of this story, best to be honest and wait!
it might be yours legit.

Lets see...who would have signed the Blatz guest book over the last 100 years....sports stars, presidents, movie stars, dignitaries...Dave I suggest you keep looking for that book!

Re: Re: What would you have done?

Dave, to the right person could have been worth big bucks, I'd keep looking. LEON.

I wasn't really thinking I'd have done anything illegal while acting as a security guard. But I hear stories now about looking in the ceiling tiles of the brewery where they found the 23 Pikes Peak cans years ago. It never ocurred to me to look around the brewery at that time, but there just had to be some areas the I should have "inspected for security reasons".