General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pull tabs and Beer cans in 70's and 80's movies

Ok, I for one still collect pull tabs as well as flats and cones, and consider them to be pretty neat. This is Probably because they were used and discontinued long before any memory I would have of them. I've only seen them in my baby pictures being drank by my dad and grandpa when I was a toddler. I think they are cool. I guess if I had drank out of them they would not seem so cool to me now. But I didn't, and they are to me what flats are to many of you guys too young to remember when they were being drank! Don't get me wrong I love collecting flats and cones, but I also collect pull tabs and stay tabs old and new, so if anyone can recall any movies with pull tabs in them (especially being opened), list em. Should be fun to watch!

p.s. In the movie mash, they show a Pabst Blue Ribbon Flat being opened with a chucrh key. Really cool!

Here's what I have so far-

-Stripes (Schlitz drank by Harold Ramis)
-National Lampoons Vacation (Coors drank by Cousin Eddie)
-Caddyshack (Bud drank by Bill Murray)
-Every Which Way But loose (Olympia and Olympia Gold drank by Clint Eastwood)
-The Bad News Bears (Too many to list, Walter M. seemed to like and drink every available brand in that movie)
-Kindom of The Spiders (Bill Shatner drink a Miller High Life)
-Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (Cast drinks a lot of Olympia)
-Magnum Force (Dirty Harry drinks a Schlitz and Olympia)
-Sixteen candles (Lots of Old Syles and Blatz PT's)
-The Toy (Bud pull tabs in opening sceene)

I know there has to be tons more, so if you can recall any, that would be cool Later, Mike C.

Re: Pull tabs and Beer cans in 70's and 80's movies

Easy Rider...They drink Olympia on the porch before they go off to get the chopper back. Can't remember if its flats or tabs though
Sean

Brian's Song:

The pizza party in the hospital room, they are drinking Brown Derby pull tabs. Movie is from 70 or 71 I believe...

These aren't cans, but I watched part of the Rodney Dangerfield movie "Back to School" (I think). There is a bar scene & there are a bunch of lighted signs on the wall, one that caught my eye was (I think) a Hulls lighted sign, were they making micro beer in the 80's?

The Night Stalker TV movie from 1971 has Carl Kolchalk (Darren McGavin) opening the tab of a can with his teeth and from the obvious look of disgust on his face, drinking a warm or vile tasting Colorado Gold Label SS.

Hollywood Knights was on Speed last night (made in 1980, set in 1965) "Tarzan" was drinking out of a Schlitz can (the type with the chrome/silver bands at the top and bottom) that would have been correct for the era. I was kind of surprised they even bothered considering the silly Seventies "wings" haircut one kid had! Not really a mid-Sixties look at all! John

in detroit rock city, the kids have a small collection of cans stacked on a shelf in their bedroom...Memories

I swear that in Old School there is a stack of cans in their kitchen. I think you can only see them in one scene. -Mike

I really liked the 1997 movie National Lampoons Vegas Vacation scenes
where Randy Quaid playing cousin Eddie walks all over the place drinking Busch 16oz. cans and has a six
pack of them attached to his belt. really cracked me up!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

"You serious Clark?"

I love the dialog between Clark W. Griswold and Eddie in the first vacation especially when he smashes the coors can over his head talking about how he lost his job at the asbestos factory. Funny stuff!

Thanks for the posts. I'll have to check out some of those earlier 70's movies. I haven't heard of a few of them, but love those older movies so they should be fund to watch.

Revenge of the nerds, Brown Derby, Dutch Treat, Milwaukees best.

One I've never seen on these lists before...

In "Gimme Shelter," the documentary of the doomed Stones show at Altamont, there's several shots of the Hell's Angels who signed on as stage security (and ultimately beat and stabbed a fan to death) guzzling from red California Buckhorn cans.

"What's your favorite beer?"
"Heineken."
"Heineken? (expletive deleted) that (expletive deleted) PABST BLUE RIBBON!"

Blue Velvet

Out,Out
El Basurero

was there any coors consumed in smokie and the bandit?? I thought that might have been at the end by pat mccormic and paul williams.