General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Inter state and Star

Hey guys, While we like to work each other back and forth on whic coast has the rarest cans, I do like the cans from the great pacific northwest...just curious as to the diffeernces in Star versus Interstate? What can you guys tell me about thier history, or is there a site you can direct me to to read?
I appreciate it,
kb

Re: Inter state and Star

Kevin, I can tell you the very short story is as follows: In Vancouver in 1856 a guy named John Muench started a brewery. He sold it to Henry Weinhard(Bitz/Weinhard fame). Weinhard decided to leave for the always better Portland to start his brewery in 1862. Anton Young the new owner first began selling his flagship beer Hop Gold. In 1894 Young sold the "Vancouver" brewery to a Chicago brewer named L. Gerlinger. Gerlinger continued to sell the flagship "Hop Gold", but changed the name of the brewery to Star Brewery. The brewery changed hands a couple more times before prohibition but was always Star Brewery producing Hop Gold. Soon after prohibition the brewery sold to Interstate Brewing Company who continued with Hop Gold and others until it sold to Lucky Lager Brewing Co. of California in 1950. Lucky was owned by many giant mega companies until it closed forever in 1985 when the equipment was sold to a Chinese brewery. The giant many stories tall Lucky neon could be seen from Portland until the early nineties when the building was demolished. I miss that giant neon. Josh.

Re: Inter state and Star

thanks josh...so it was one brewery, never 2? just looking at some of the hop golds for sale:

hopg old big star from STAR with 1936 on lid

hop gold from STAR w/ 1938 on lid

hop gold true lager from INTERSTATE with 1938 on lid.

I have a Silver springs and HG TRUE lager both that are others pending, and from STAR, allowing me to assume they were from 38-40 range? Just confused as to the switching of names?

thanks, kb