General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Soaked some eastern Sierra Mystery Cans

So far this summer I've been too busy to squeeze a dumping trip in, but yesterday I soaked some completely rusted mystery cans I picked up at a surface dump in May on the east side of the Sierras - 4 flats and 3 low-profile cones. One of the cones had been "modified" with small holes punched in it - my guess is a bait container for holding live grasshoppers.

The flats were all Luckys with the date Dec 6 35 stamped on the lids (Age Dated). One cone was an ABC, with the "ABC" about all I could make out since once the rust was gone, the label was nearly completely faded. The other two cones really have no label visible, but on a side panel I could barely read "Vernon Brewing" and "Vernon Cream Beer". Can any one shed more light on this brand?

Thanks,
Ross

Re: Soaked some eastern Sierra Mystery Cans

Ross:

Any of the three cans from Vernon are extremely rare and highly desireable. The few that have been found typically come from the area that you were digging in. I'd keep them regardless of the condition because somebody will want them. I'd also go back at some point if you get the chance and see if you can find some more. Perhaps you can find some that got covered and are not a sun fried mess. Nice find even if the condition is not there.

Scott

Scott:

Thanks for the input. The spot will definitely be re-hit in about three weeks with more consideration and proper equipment. At the time I didn't have any tools to dig with or even gloves and the numbers of red ants that came streaming out of the rusted cans was incredible. These were 7 cans I basically plucked off the top of a roughly 8' x 10' patch of surface rust. Maybe there's the rest of the Vernon six-pack buried under the sand and sage!

Ross

Ross, how about some pics!

Mark

Re: Re: Soaked some eastern Sierra Mystery Cans

The Vernon Cones a tough can, Plus that Lucky Date of late 35 a good year/vintage, I'd go back for more LEON.