General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Incredible!!!

http://www.beercans.com/OI%20cans-1.htm

BR

Re: Incredible!!!

Very nice...I love the Alpen Glen. The clashing of the orange, green and blue is beautiful. My Alpen Glow is one of my favorite cans, wish it was a little bit cleaner.

I love seeing stuff like that. I can't wait for Canvention! Josh.

For those of you who dont know Denny, he lives here in the Dayton area. He has had some outstanding cans over the years. After collecting all flats, he decided to specialize in O.I. He is selling to put towards his retirement. His collection to view in this area will be sadly missed!
Greg

There is some serious eye candy. Also, several items that haven't been available in awhile. It will be interesting to see how many of these make it to canvention......

Does anyone know the going rate for a kidney? I might put one up for sale. Or maybe a testicle? I already have 4 kids, so ...

Steve

Re: Re: Incredible!!!

Based on the quote I just got for the Black Dallas OI from St. Louis I might need to sell both kidney's!

Except for variations...I think I need 4 of them???

BR

I have a feeling that none of them may make it to canvention. I inquired about 3 of them and all 3 have already sold. A very impressive grouping of cans, and the condition is unbelievable.

John

Anybody try calling the number on the website? I tried and got some sort of prison at Atwater! Figured I misdialed so tried a couple more times and now have some heavilly armed person ****** off at me!

That Gunther's Old English Ale...good Lord!

Just got off the phone with Dale at the 386-462-6464 number.

Wierd.....I keep rechecking the number and getting a prison. I'm guessing gremlins.

Rand

ive known denny for almost 25 years super collection.!!!

What would that Fort Pitt Ale go for?? It is on my top 3 list, but I am sure it is waaaay out of my can budget!

>What would that Fort Pitt Ale go for??

I asked about those cans specifically.....and they were sold....so didn't get a price. Like you, still curious.

The one that gave me the biggest sticker shock was the Gunther's Ale well into 5 figures.....wow.

FYI...the Alpen Glen was available for 2gs.

i saw one of these fort pitt ales sell at monroeville in 1984 for 3000.00,harvey lambert bought the can,add inflation to that figure and its pretty scary!!!!!!!.

So needless to say I will never have one (at least ongrade)unless I outlive the hobby!! or stumble upon one. I still would like to know what they went for. That Blue and Gold can and the Bud Crowntainer are the highest prices I have seen. I didnt Ebay when the Clipper went so high but that seems like a price paid too high for a can that aint that tough now...at least it aint 10-20 grand tough.

The Fort Pitt Ale cans usually sell for 10k-12k, there was one at Blue Gray a couple years back and the owner wanted 12k.

Dan B

Just called about the Strouds can, they want 10K for the can. How much higher can the prices go? We're not all brain surgeons (no disrespect to Doc) or lottery winners.

JCH

Amen to that! I just sold a clean 68 camaro for 12 grand and no way would I trade the car for the can! I love cans but after a couple grand I am out! I am not trying to say the can isnt worth it.....because things are only worth what someone will pay, but some things (old cars) have a much wider appeal without the risk if you need to sell!
As the years go by, it seems like more people are selling out and not hardly ANY young people are interested in cans (my 16 year old isnt..he is only interested in what he can sell them for if I croak!) so in 30 years after us that were kids in the 70's when it was booming, are very old men, will there be anybody left? Those that are should be able to have a killer collection then as the interest wont be there.
Or do you think it will? Stamps and coins, and trains keep chugging along.
blah...blah....blah....1 more beer and I am tired!

I've spent a goodly amount on my collection over the years. I've also been lucky enough to have been able to make a profit off cans I paid peanuts for 10 - 20 years ago and turned around to buy some more expensive cans today. Sure I'd eventually like to make my money back off the cans I currently have, but I enjoy them and once I'm gone, I won't have to worry about their worth any more. I think someone will always collect cans, whether it be younger folks or whatever. If not, once we're gone, they'll be tossed back into the landfills where we once rescued them.

I would like to rephrase and expand on Chris's comment a bit.

Like most hobbies, what we collect has no intrinsic value. Unlike most hobbies, what we collect is, quite literally, garbage. At one point in time someone thought these cans were trash, threw them away and often buried them to get them out of sight. Any value placed on "the supply" is not only manufactured and artificial, but limited to an incredibly small number of aging individuals...."the demand". Once the demand goes, there will be a disproportionate supply, and that curve has a slippery slope right back to.....garbage.

Rand