General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Alright, I just........................

Drank a beer from 1978, which is 3 years older than I am. What I want 2 know is how unsafe is that? I already puked a couple times, and all I tasted was metal. Oh, by the way I'm moving and any day now I will b lisitng some free flats and cones that are extras and I have no room for them. So I hope a few of you can use the cans. Later, Mike C.

Re: Alright, I just........................

I could use anything you want to get rid of. Seeing you like in New York, I could trade you some 1800's NY bottles for them. I am getting out of bottles and into cans. Tom Inman just sent me 10 free cans as a welcoming and starter set. I am mailing him 10 bottles from Texas as a thank you. I have a couple NY beer bottles. One is a clear embossed 1931 Genessee Brewing Co. crowntop from Rochester and the other is an amber blown in mold Vanderhort Bottling Works from Salamanca, NY. I have plenty to trade for cans from all over the US. Robert

I had an un-opened bottle of Faust from 1934, I decided to try it, tasted really sweet, like syrup, I only had a sip or 2, but I was o.k. I think there is an article in a BCCA mag from a few years ago about guys tryin those Ballantine X-mas Ale bottles from the 50's.

Born in 1981? That has to make you the youngest RB'er... Or are there others I'm not aware of? You should be fine, by the way. Many others have imbibed canned adult beverages much older than 1978...

I was born in 1990... the oldest beer I've drank is about 6 years old... Ethan...

Hi Mike!

You should be fine! Aside of Jody Otto drinking a Yoerg's crowntainer (video not yet released), my favorite "old beer" drinking tale, belongs to the Schell's Border Batch Chapter, from New Ulm, MN. It goes something like this:

Every year they have a "beer-tasting" get-together. To get in, you have to bring an old, but still full beer can. The cans are bottom-opened, and one-by-one, poured into shot glasses, and passed around to be "sampled". Most of the hearty souls in attendance, just take a sip, and the leftovers are poured into a slop-bucket.

The creme-ala-creme, came at the end of the get-together, when a certain "krazyk-r-a-u-t" dipped a glass into this slop-bucket full of discarded old brews, and drank 'er down! True story! Dave P. was there.

What an "outlaw!"

Mike in MN

Others know or remember the details better but I'll try to pass this story along anyhow. A few years back at a Western show a ceRtain collectoR had a full Hudson House tab from the 60's. Not sure if it was the Grace or newer Maier one. Anyhow they were planning on doing a tasting and put it in the ice cooler along with all the current beers that people were drinking to cool it down.

A non-collector not knowing any better and thinking it was a fresh beer, opened it up and started drinking it. I can't report on their opinion of the taste but did hear the owneR was desperately running around looking for the tab to try and glue it back.

Scott

'bout 4 years ago at Blue-Gray, I left
a 6 pack of various FULL early 70's S/S tabs
in the hospitality room pack in ice sitting along
side the bottles of micro-brew...Heard the next
day a bunch of old-timers were drinking them
around 3 in the moring!!!!

BR

Well, I made it to today I've made a couple of extra trips to the bathroom than usual, but I'd say it was worth it. Heck I just drank a beer brewed before I was born. Really weird! It wasn't that bad until I went back to drinking my PBR that was a little warm and then I had to make a quick run outside. I'll be telling that story for a while. I have a 32 oz. bottle of Schmitds I won at a raffle a few years back and it is full. Maybe I'll save it for a few more decades before I try that one. I'll try to list all of the flats and the few cones I have for free. Hope some of you can use them. I'd keep them with me to trade, but I barely have enough room to store my collection cans (about 5,000). All I ask is that who ever wants the cans to pay the shipping becasue I don't have a job right now and I am broke, which really sucks by the way. I'll probably post a pic of them within the next week or so.

Somebody get a REALLY OLD BEER ... brewed before Dave Lang was born and let's see if we can get him to drink it at Blue/Gray!

(sorry Dave ... it's nothing personal)

Steve

Re: Re: Alright, I just........................

Take 2 aspirins & call me in the morning.

It wasn't the old beer, it was the PBR.....

I like hearing about anyone who would drink a 20-40 year old beer. I'd like to trade with them. And play poker with them. And sell my used car to them......

Compas,

I have a 50s Tivoli can which has maybe 3 or 4 ounces of beer in it still. I've heard that Tivoli wasn't very good; maybe it needed a bit more aging. Mike, ya wanna give it a go?

Dr. Leon, what would you advise?

Out. out
El Basurero

I ate the worm out of a 1923 bottle of mescal. I thought I was trippin after that!!!My wife wasn't too impressed as she left me at the party and I had to walk home.

Mike, I sent you an email about the cans. Any cans you could send me would be great as I only have about 20 flats and 2 cone tops in my collection of 1,000 cans Thanks , Greg

Should have let me know, I just drained a full Tru Blu beer crowntainer. The cap had no rust and neither did the can, but not so for the contents. It required a generous amount of bleach to get the stench out of the kitchen. Yeah, I should've opened it outside, but I wasn't firing on all thrusters at the time.

Alien: "What is it?"
Scotty: "It's....ummm...it's....ahhh.....green!"

JCH

I HAVE A FULL LONDON BOBBY CROWNTAINER

I had a full prepro Goebel bottle from around 1910. The bottle was only half full & looked like Mud. Cap was Rusty, Probably would have needed a Tetanus shot after that consumption. I was going to let Dave Van Hine give it a try on the annual Rusty Bunch taste test here in Michigan but my buddy With Carpal Tunnel syndrome decide to pick it up with his Bad hand (idiot) & I watched it drop from his grip, everything went into slow motion as I watched it fall, I was to far away to intercept on the fall but hoped the carpet would break the fall, Amazingly it did, I was exstatic for about a second until it bounced back up & on it's way down for the second time around it was not as lucky. Still have a big stain on my Carpet. Had to glue the bottle & it's peices back together with elmers glue LEON.