General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Southeast Arizona question

Chances of me getting stationed in Arizona next summer are pretty good. I was just wondering if anyone has had any luck out there. I would love a change of scenery, and some brand changes.

Re: Southeast Arizona question

Jay, I've lived in Yuma, Douglas and Phoenix. Douglas is in southeast AZ. It's high desert. If I had a chance go back I would do some detecting in the Chiracaua(sp.) Mountains near Bisbee. You get into the alpine region at about 7,000 feet with good tree cover. There were alot of pulloffs I remember as a kid. Just a suggestion.

Later,

Tom I.

Re: Re: Southeast Arizona question

I know someone who dump a pile of Apache cones in Arizona recently, You could possibly try to pull of a similar stunt? LEON.

I visited my uncle in Pinetop when I was a kid, and we stayed at some lodge, and behind it I found some o/I cans but I don't remember the details, my uncle is gone, so if I get out there I'll find it again eventually.

Re: Re: Southeast Arizona question

When I visited my Grandma in Phoenix (actually Apache Junction 30 mile east of Phoenix)in 70's I found a whole pile of L.P. cones & flats. I grabbed a couple of the lighter looking rusted lp cones hoping they would turn out to be Apache's. My Dad made me toss the rust buckets back, never did find out what they were but I like to think Apaches? LEON.

my dad pulled that on me once, when I still lived in Cleveland OH, we went to the metroparks and I found an old bar dump. I grabbed a ratty erin brew, and a p.o.c. My dad said leave them, but I didn't, now they are in his collection. (after a good cleaning)

Jay,

Try the area that Tom was talking about. I live in Casa Grande and dump all the west. Most of the cans are burnt beyond help. I did find 54 Apaches but they where not the greatest. But they were APACHES...
The sun is too harsh in the desert. I am starting to hit the mountains to see if i have the same good fortune. Post any finds you have. This is the right place for rust. Some of the best guys around also.
good luck..
Robert

I've lived in Scottsdale for most of my life and have had limited success dumping in AZ. As Robert said, the deserts are harsh. I did find a couple of mystery cans that turned out to be Apaches outside of Prescott. I also found a 40's 50's dump near the rim outside of Payson and near Prescott. The best finds have been indoor finds in old buidlings. The pines are where you want to look for cans. That's where you may have some luck since they are better protected. By the way, the A-1 Chapter is having their Way Out West Show on October 5-7. It may turn out to be the biggest show we've had in some time with room-to-room trading and all. If you are there by then, make sure to attend. -Ed Sipos