General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Red Top o/i dumper question

hey, finaly got a free day to clean some cans. dumped a Red Top o/i can that is red on one side and silver on the other from Cincinati Ohio.
aint in the best of shape as are all the cans from this dump but it is the first one Ive found and goes on brands list from this dump making it 7 brands.
would welcome any info as I dont have a good beercan book yet. Is it a tough can????
also just wanted to use the old board again.

Re: Red Top o/i dumper question

Daniel post a picture if you can. Can you tell if its metallic or enamel? If its enamel its tough, if metallic its impossible if its the can im thinking of..WTG!
Mike

very sorry but after more soaking can is RED on both sides. really played a trick on me.
would still welcome input.
will post pic when fully clean.
sorry about prev. discription.
mystery cans again.

Daniel,
Is the top part silver with redtop in red and the bottom red with beer in silver? also does it say made in the former hauck brewery on the bottom under the word beer?
mike

Actually....something that he hasn't said yet....is whether it is a Beer or Ale can....that's going to make some difference as well.

Rand

Well im just assuming its a beer being he said its half red/silver, the ales only have red accents and the other beer is red/white.
mike

Way to go Daniel! From the age of the other cans from that dump, I bet you've got the super rare USBC 119-35. I can't imagine how many great cans would have come out of that dump if the soil wasn't so tough here in the Carolinas. Keep up the good work and I hope to make it back up to dig this fall!

Was having internet provider problems. sorry for delay. can is silver on top,red below, says 12oz. same as bottle below rim. and says unusual quality Old Cincinnati beer. allmost didnt take can home beacause it had a hole but glad I did now.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wow, that's a KILLER can Daniel! Keep me in mind if you find any more. I've been looking for one of those for a long time. Man does that dump have some good stuff in it!

PS Did I see in one of your posts that you found a "In Keglined Cans" ALE but crushed it??!!!!

hey Rustmonger, good to hear from you.
yes I stumbeled over my weed eater and stomped on a pretty nice Krueger ale with the keglined front.
I try not to think about it. havent found another yet.
I cant make out the brewery on this one and think any more soaking would be fatal.
thanks for your input hope I find some more of these.
come on by Joe T. we will check that spot on I-85
on the way to Durham.

Daniel,
I think you just found a SUPER killer can. Its hard to tell but that silver looks metallic and not enamel. which would make that the 4th known according to the OI book(if metallic)! Even if its enamel its still a very tough can.....now go find more!
mike

also it should say "made in the former hauck brewery" right under the word beer. There is a version which is even tougher(1 known) that dosnt have that but the word "beer" is set lower on the can and yours looks like its a little higher.
mike

hey Mike, I can make out "made in" under beer and
the grey paint does have a metallic shine to it,made
me think it was silver at first. also has a one panel o/i. after can dried off the details became clearer.
WOW!

Cool. The best way to describe the difference is metalic will look chrome and the enamel will look silver/grey like on pabst cans. Like steve said in the other forum dont leave any cans behind...which i dont think your doing anyway...
mike

Daniel,
As a collector of Cincinnati Flats, I am truly impressed by your find. Georgia seemed to be an outlet for some tough Cincinnati cans. Keep looking!!
If you find anymore, keep me in mind. Will trade out of my collection for tough Cincinnati flats.
Greg

Re: Re: Red Top o/i dumper question

Lovegun, Alabama is also good for finding Ohio cans. I've found a few there. LEON.

hey, gonna post pics. of brands in New Board.
have found a few in same dump and thought you guys might like to see how far down south they showed up.

Leon, your right about Alabama. Ive seen quite a few with the Alabama tax stamp over the years. Makes me wish I had done some digging when I did my basic at Fort Gordon back in the 70""s!
Greg