Welcome!

Please join us on our new website @:

Welcome To Rapture In The Air
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Significance of the Miracle of the 8th Day of Hanukkah

Within the temple, there was a huge menorah (seven branched candelabra that burned oil) that had to be lit. This light was supposed to remain always lit within the Temple.

Lisa, I do see how this can tie in!!

Also regarding the above sentence, I wonder if this menorah is currently burning year round in the temple as it was in the past?!

I wonder if this was a pre figure of the church that was within the temple? Or a representation of the 7 fold Spirit of God? I know that oil represents the Holy Spirit.

There is a lot of symbolism in the menorah it seems.

Why eight days? Here is the statute in Leviticus and Exodus.

Leviticus 24:1-2(NASB)
Then the LORD spoke to Moses, saying,

“Command the sons of Israel that they bring to you clear oil from beaten olives for the light, to make a lamp burn continually.

Exodus 27:20(NASB)
"You shall charge the sons of Israel, that they bring you clear oil of beaten olives for the light, to make a lamp burn continually.

For information purposes only.

http://www.bibletimesonline.org/node/14

According to the Bible only the beaten oil - not pressed oil - should be used for the menorah in the Temple (Ex. 27:20). The fruit of this kind of olive tree is big and has a thick skin with little juice. It should be put in fire for 5-7 minutes until it becomes soft like grapes. Then it should be smashed on a flat stone to take the pits away and stored for at least one week. After this long procedure you can see a very little juice on top of brown pulp that has sunk to the bottom of the jar. This juice is the (beaten oil).

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Articles/Article.aspx/9512

The Seven Lamps of the Menorah
by Rabbi Chanan Morrison

Why does the Menorah, whose lighting is commanded in our Torah reading this Sabbath, have seven lamps facing the center?

"Speak to Aaron and tell him, 'When you light the lamps, the seven lamps should shine towards the center of the Menorah.'" (Num. 8:2)

Why does the Torah emphasize this particular detail - that the seven lamps should face the center of the Menorah?
Through the aggregation of all individual perfections, the universe attains overall perfection.
Why not begin with the overall commandment- the mitzvah - to light the Menorah each evening?

Also, what is the significance of the Menorah's seven branches?

Different Paths of Wisdom

The Sages wrote that the Menorah represents wisdom and enlightenment (Baba Batra 25b). All wisdom has a common source, but there exist different approaches to wisdom. Every individual pursues those spheres of knowledge to which he is naturally drawn.

The Midrash (Bamidbar Rabbah 15:7) compares the seven lamps of the Menorah to the seven planets in the solar system, illuminating the nighttime sky. What is the meaning of this symbolism?

Many of the ancients believed that the planets and constellations influence our nature and personality traits. A person under the influence of Mars, for example, will have different traits then one under the influence of Jupiter (see Shabbat 165a).

In other words, this was a way to say that G-d created each of us with a unique character in order that we should perfect ourselves in the particular path that suits us. In this way, all of creation is completed; through the aggregation of all individual perfections, the universe attains overall perfection. Just as each planet symbolizes a distinct character trait, each branch of the Menorah is a metaphor for a specific category of intellectual pursuits. G-d prepared a path for each individual to attain wisdom according to his own character and interests.

Towards the Center

However, we should be careful not to follow our natural intellectual inclinations exclusively. The Torah stresses that "when you light the lamps" - when we work towards that individual enlightenment that suits our particular character - we should take care that this wisdom will "shine towards the center of the Menorah." What is the center of the Menorah? This is the wisdom of the Torah itself. We need to draw specifically from the light of Torah, whose source is the underlying unity of all wisdom.

In truth, the seven branches of the Menorah are not truly distinct, separate paths. All seven receive light from the unified wisdom with which G-d enlightens His world. For this reason, the Menorah was fashioned from a single piece of gold, mikshah zahav. The special manner in which the Menorah was formed reveals the underlying unity of all forms of wisdom.

(Gold from the Land of Israel pp. 239-240. Adapted from Midbar Shur, pp. 53-55.)

Yes, Melissa, there sure is a lot of symbolism in the menorah!! Plus there is symbolism between the oil and the last day of Hanukkah.

Knight Michael, in answer to the why 8 days question, I continued to read that article you posted, and it gave an explanation for that.

http://www.bibletimesonline.org/node/14

"Fair Use for Educational and Discussion Purposes"

Consider the celebration of Hanukkah which remembers the Maccabee's
victory over the Greeks and their desire to rededicate their Temple
after its desecration. Only one cruse of oil was found to light the
Temple Menorah. This should have lasted only one day but miraculously
lasted for 8 days... the length of time it took to create the beaten
oil for use in the Temple Menorah. Hanukkah is celebrated every year
for 8 days in remembrance of the Jewish victory over their oppressors
and to remind us of God's provision.

I found this section from Wikipedia interesting also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menorah_%28Temple%29

The lamps of the menorah were lit daily from fresh, consecrated olive oil and burned from evening until morning, according to Exodus 27:21.

The Roman-Jewish historian Flavius Josephus states that three of the seven lamps were allowed to burn during the day also; however, according to the Talmud (Rashi, Tractate Shabbat 22b), only the center lamp was left burning all day, into which as much oil was put as into the others. Although all the other lights were extinguished, that light buried oil, in spite of the fact that it had been kindled first. This miracle according to the Talmud (Tractate Menahot 86b) was taken as a sign that the Shechinah rested over Israel. It was called the ner hama'aravi (Western lamp) because of its position. This lamp was also referred to as the ner Elohim (lamp of God), mentioned in I Samuel 3:3. The miracle of the ner hama'aravi ended about 40 years before the destruction of the Temple (circa 30 c.e.) according the Talmud Tractate (Yoma 39a), "Our Rabbis taught: During the last forty years before the destruction of the Temple(that is to say around 30ad) the lot [‘For the Lord’] did not come up in the right ...hand; nor did the crimson-coloured strap become white; nor did the westernmost light shine"[10]

Lisaleenie
Knight Michael, in answer to the why 8 days question, I continued to read that article you posted, and it gave an explanation for that.

It was a rhetorical question.

They had to wait 8 days because of the method to get the beaten olives oil.

There are two processes for getting olive oil. One is pressing. This is where they place weighted stones on top of the olives crushing them. Different weights give different types of oil. For cooking, for lighting homes, for anointing kings, etc.

In the case of the Menorah, God commanded that they not use pressed olive oil, but oil from beaten olives. In which they had to wait a week after the olives were beaten before obtaining the oil. Then they had to consecrate it.

Why did they use Olive Oil? Olive Oil is more stable, has a higher flash point and produces steadier light then other fuel.

http://www.worldwideflood.com/ark/technology/oil_lamps.htm

Lisa, Rev 1:12 Is Jesus and the 7 lampstands, which is the church, (see Rev 1:20) also looks like a picture of the menorah!!

I do think that the church is pictured in the menorah!! And can see the point you are making about the oil lasting up to 8 days until the new oil is ready.

I also wonder if this is a picture of the new oil - being the Jews that will take over after the church has left.

The oil to me represents the HS, which will be abiding in the Jews (as they are converted) after the church is raptured?! Just some thoughts!!

Melissa, that's an interesting thought about the oil representing the HS abiding in the Jews after we're gone! You could be right. And here I am thinking the other way...that the oil represented the 5 wise virgins who filled their lamps with oil in preparation of the Bridegroom's soon return!

Knght Michael
It was a rhetorical question.

Whoops! I should have picked up on that!!

Thanks for those informative articles, Knight Michael! I never knew much about the Jewish feasts and festivals until three years ago when I seriously started studying prophesy. That's why I appreciate the studies of Perry Stone so much because he really does illuminate difficult Bible passages with his study of Jewish traditions as he applies them to the scriptures.

Look at it this way Lisaleenie.

We are the lamp, the hollow vessel made of clay.

Isaiah 45:9(NASB)
"Woe to the one who quarrels with his Maker-- An earthenware vessel among the vessels of earth! Will the clay say to the potter, 'What are you doing?' Or the thing you are making say, 'He has no hands '?

The Holy Spirit is the oil.

1 Samuel 16:13(NASB)
Then Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the midst of his brothers; and the Spirit of the LORD came mightily upon David from that day forward. And Samuel arose and went to Ramah.

Jesus is the light within us.

Matthew 5:14(NASB)
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden;

Very good, Knight Michael!

So to put it simply, without the oil of the Holy Spirit, and the light of Jesus in our lives, we are nothing but empty vessels.

However....

With the light of Jesus and the oil of the Holy Spirit, these empty vessels can become the lamp that the Lord can use to illuminate the way to Jesus!!!

Lisaleenie
Very good, Knight Michael!

So to put it simply, without the oil of the Holy Spirit, and the light of Jesus in our lives, we are nothing but empty vessels.

However....

With the light of Jesus and the oil of the Holy Spirit, these empty vessels can become the lamp that the Lord can use to illuminate the way to Jesus!!!

Bravo! well said.

Thanks, Knight Michael, but your pictures, captions, and scriptures were my inspiration!!

Lisaleenie
Thanks, Knight Michael, but your pictures, captions, and scriptures were my inspiration!!

Ditto that!

Email: amy@trackingbibleprophecy.org

AmyVG
Lisaleenie

Ditto that!

Yes, Knight Michael is awesome, isn't he?

<>
Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com