Celtic Lyrics Corner Forum

Hello and welcome to the new Celtic Lyrics Corner Forum!
Please use this forum to post your lyric requests.

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh ceol agus gaol.
The world will come to an end, but music and love will endure.

Forum: Celtic Lyrics Corner Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
correction for White Fool

First of all, this site is absolutely excellent!

Rinne an té ar leis an suíomh seo an jab!

In Clannad's "White Fool" (lyrics at http://www.celticlyricscorner.net/clannad/white.htm), both Irish verses shown on this site have:

"daoine corr an t'saoil [sic] ag góid [sic] leo", which means the corrupt people of the world keep on stealing.

Actually, the second Irish verse is
"daoine corr an tsaoil ag troid leo",
which means the corrupt people of the world keep on fighting. A subtle variation, but in the album booklet that's what they've printed, and that's also what I hear.

Also, "an tsaoil" is the correct spelling for "of the world" (no apostrophe after the t), and there is no fada (accent) on "goid".

Finally, for:
Bhí'os acu ___
Ar a t séan dóigh ___
Éist leo...

I actually think this is supposed to be
"Bhí a fhios acu ar an tsean-dóigh"

Perhaps a better Irish speaker can explain, but what I hear/read here is "They knew the old ways".

Sean (rhymes with "man" and means old) has no fada, whereas séan (pronounced like Shane, and means omen or good luck). The correct word is "sean".

Éist leo means "Listen to them"

This song is rather dear to me, as it is the first Irish I ever heard, and it inspired me to study this amazing language, which I've been doing for about 23 years now.

Hope this is helpful.

Alasdair
Member of Gaeltacht Minnesota

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Online Photo Albums   Free Guestbooks   Free Web Tools   Cheap Domains 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com