Return to Website

Zzaj D.I.Y. Forum

This forum is for ANYthing & EVERYthing related to D.I.Y. & home-produced musics. We are looking FORWARD to your discussions!

Zzaj D.I.Y. Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Is CLEAN too MEAN???

Hi, Bryan,

>So we'll always find people turned off by a "bad" recording and >those who will not look further. Some people don't really hear >the quality, but are more focused on the performance. And so on.

Well, despite what some of my reviews might have (erroneously) indicated (in IMPROVIJAZZATION NATION), I'm not "turned off" by a "bad" recording... for me, it's the ENERGY of the performance that's always got to be paramount... I DO think the digital medium allows for somewhat "cleaner" recording(s), though, & kinda' "raises the bar", if you will...

>Overall, the quality of DiY recordings has increased >dramatically since the early-mid 90's and the advent of digital >home studios. And there are tons of artists who are now strictly >RECORDING artists who don't play notes but compose with loops >and computer software. Kleen for some artists has nothing to do >with the noise floor, but more with the sound space.

Yeah, & (I think) that's especially true for "noise-ists" &

"odd-ists" like Ernesto (Diaz-Infante) & myself... lots of our recordings still get "hit" for being overly noisy, but the energy & oddity still carries it - probably 'coz it's something "new", eh? You tell ME (po-leece)!

>I've actually always thought it was important to make the best >recording you can, even though I'd never focus on that over the >magic of the making the song happen.

Yah, but the cleanup process "allows" for the better recording, without getting the result to be so "flat" that you lose all the energy, methinks... OTOH, there are some recordings where the noise is PART of the energy, eh?

> It just means realizing your work more completely. But I've >never understood all the fascination with recording techniques >that seems to overtake any discussion group of 4-trackers. I've >never thought 4-tracking was about the machine.

Hmmm... well, THAT part I can identify with, Bryan... some of the NG's DO focus WAY more on the recording/gear than on the (musical) results...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I think people always expect a certain thing. Some people are more open to having their epectations challenged. Some people hate it. Some people don't like it any other way and need to always have their expectations challenged. So we'll always find people turned off by a "bad" recording and those who will not look further. Some people don't really hear the quality, but are more focused on the performance. And so on.

Overall, the quality of DiY recordings has increased dramatically since the early-mid 90's and the advent of digital home studios. And there are tons of artists who are now strictly RECORDING artists who don't play notes but compose with loops and computer software. Kleen for some artists has nothing to do with the noise floor, but more with the sound space.

I've actually always thought it was important to make the best recording you can, even though I'd never focus on that over the magic of the making the song happen. It just means realizing your work more completely. But I've never understood all the fascination with recording techniques that seems to overtake any discussion group of 4-trackers. I've never thought 4-tracking was about the machine.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Br'er Bret Hart & I were discussing th' biz-nezz of bein' KLEEN on D.I.Y. recordings... since so many of us are joining the "digital world" now, I thought it apropo to bring th' issue UP again... what do YOU think... is a CLEAN recording important? Or impotent? I know this is a topic that was surfaced (many times) by Bryan Baker (GAJOOB), & David C. (SOUND CHOICE) in the early days of tape networking... but has it CHANGES? Or not? Let us KNOW, 'k?