Depersonalization Forum

Please use this forum to discuss information directly related to Depersonalization Disorder. We welcome you to share your own personal experiences with others as well as any treatment or study programs you may know about. We have been forced to restructure the Forum so we could have editing access as needed and be able to Archive older comments once they disappear.  Sorry for the temporary inconvenience, but now we will able to post older material for reference.

Depersonalization Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
coffee

Does coffee/caffeine worsen dp for anyone else? I had a cup this morning, and I've been jittery and out of it all day. I used to be able to drink coffee at 1am and pass out w/o a problem. Now I feel like I'm crawling out of my skin! Anyone have a similar experience/advice for snapping out of it??

Re: coffee

Coffee is one of those odd contradictions. Even in people with depression, it can sometimes give you a brief lift, and at other times make you feel like you are going to pass out. Caffeine is, of course, a drug, so with every up there is a down. The up may either be a pleasant touch of mania or anxiety; the down may be the shakes, DPD like symptoms, or depressive symptoms. There has been a suggestion that for many people with DPD, a little coffee can help, just as a slight bit of an "upper" can help with their pharmaceutical treatment cocktails. If DPD is like being in a dream world, asleep but awake, stimulants can help to wake you up. But, it depends on the individual, and maybe you should switch to decafe.

Re: Re: coffee

On at least one occasion, caffeine helped me.

I was shopping, and the lighting was causing transient flares of dp/dr. After tolerating that for a while, I went to my car and chewed up 1/4 of a generic No-Doz tablet (about 50mg caffeine), and quickly stabilized and felt fine.

I also get panic attacks and anxiety, and I don't know that I'd try the same remedy if my dp/dr were flaring in one of those contexts.