Depersonalization Forum

Please use this forum to discuss information directly related to Depersonalization Disorder. We welcome you to share your own personal experiences with others as well as any treatment or study programs you may know about. We have been forced to restructure the Forum so we could have editing access as needed and be able to Archive older comments once they disappear.  Sorry for the temporary inconvenience, but now we will able to post older material for reference.

Depersonalization Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
hope this helps

First off, I would say my DP comes in cycles, have had it on and off for over 20 years sometimes going as long as 7 to 8 years between episodes. My advice and I do believe I can give this after my years of dealing with it on and off is as follows - the one thing I found the most helpfull and always seems to make it fade away is,keep your mind busy with things that you love to do be it either work hobbies etc...I know you have prob heard this a thousand times but it will work " not quickly but over time". I feel it is a conditioned way of thinking that can slowly fade into the background as the mind pays it less attention.

Re: hope this helps

Good advice MickyM

Re: hope this helps

I have had it for almost 6 years. The only time I do not notice it is if I am skiing, biking or rock climbing. But as much as I wish I could always being doing these things, that isn't the case. I go for an hour bike ride nad I forget about it. I come home and there it is again. All day, all night. Do you have any advice on how to carry the dp free times over a little more? As soon as I am around anyone, even my lovely children - it's back. How can I get that normal feeling I have when I am recreating to happen when I am being a mom, wife, in every day life??? I am miserable, any guidance you have would be much appreciated.