Depersonalization Forum

Please use this forum to discuss information directly related to Depersonalization Disorder. We welcome you to share your own personal experiences with others as well as any treatment or study programs you may know about. We have been forced to restructure the Forum so we could have editing access as needed and be able to Archive older comments once they disappear.  Sorry for the temporary inconvenience, but now we will able to post older material for reference.

Depersonalization Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What are symptoms of dpd (dp/dr)?

What are disorders, symptoms of dpd? What are all disorders, symptoms of dpd? Can it be that at first occurs symptoms of dpd and then dpd? Or just dpd with some symptoms or many symptoms only? When i was about 4 years of age, i was afraid that Earth is round. Could that be symptom of dpd?
Who knows, answer please. Approximately or exactly. Thank you. :)

Re: What are symptoms of dpd (dp/dr)?

Veg,
In reference to your question, as well as the comments below under "woe is me", it is important to remember that Depersonalization can be a symptom, as well as a full-blown disorder. It is the Disorder that seems most resistant to treatment, and it is clearly defined in the DSM-IV and explained and referenced in many places online. The feelings of depersonalization, as a symptom, can appear in depression, anxiety and/or panic disorder, bipolar disorder, PTSD and even schizophrenia. Often, people suffer from many symptoms of one of these disorders but focus in on the feeling of depersonalization (which is hard to ignore) and then conclude that they might have DPD when they don't. Your mention of the fear of the earth being round at such a young age is interesting—I myself had a similar experience when I was 7 or 8, but I think this is more a transient part of growing up as a sensitive, perceptive, observant person, coupled with internal physiological changes, than being a specific precursor to DPD. (It's hard to say since there are no studies about how many children with this kind of thought typically develop DPD). Bottom line, if a person experiences the symptoms outlined in the DSM-IV (ie., detachment from one's sense of self, feelings of unreality, etc.) and experiences these in the ABSENCE of other symptoms relating specifically to other disorders, for an extended period, then that person may be diagnosed with Depersonalization Disorder.

Re: Re: What are symptoms of dpd (dp/dr)?

Are you officialy working on Dpd research?

Re: Re: Re: What are symptoms of dpd (dp/dr)?

"Officially" only in the sense of compiling the latest research findings via Dr. Simeon for any necessary updates of "Feeling Unreal" in future editions, or when it goes to paperback. I am awaiting the results of several trials right now and hope to be able to publish them here.

Re: Re: Re: Re: What are symptoms of dpd (dp/dr)?

Dpd was about 7 years. I was attacked, hit in the back of head, then about 4 times in the face. As it comes out, PTSD occured. After punches i defended myself, i grabbed his hands and then released. I don't remember exactly, but it looks like, he said "i'm sorry". I had PTSD for about 3 years and 5 months. Now remained dp/dr [or whatever what it, this condition is] and 4 or 5 other things. I hope i will be cured soon from these things. :)
Wish me luck. :)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What are symptoms of dpd (dp/dr)?

Yes. Good luck to you.

Anafranil. Marplan.

Thank you. :)

Anafranil. Marplan.