Depersonalization Forum

Please use this forum to discuss information directly related to Depersonalization Disorder. We welcome you to share your own personal experiences with others as well as any treatment or study programs you may know about. We have been forced to restructure the Forum so we could have editing access as needed and be able to Archive older comments once they disappear.  Sorry for the temporary inconvenience, but now we will able to post older material for reference.

Depersonalization Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: has anyone fought back?

I’m new to the DP world but I have probably been dealing with this for over 40 years since childhood.

I got into this first by owning my “spacing out”, identifying some ADD like symptoms, getting a EEG scan showing how dysfunctional my brain is, and then read the literature on DP Disorder.

Here are a few things I find helpful:

I see a Therapist who focuses on authentic presence, who gently guides me away from DP state and my covering up of DP.

I got into some spiritual teaching about “being in the now” and that seemed to describe a lot of what I experiencing – when I am in DP I am not in the now. 2 important things I learnt from that:
• Learn to be the objective rather than critical observer
• When I realize I am not present (in DP state) I am for that moment present (not in DP)

I’m now sharing a house with a friend who also has DP Disorder.
• We do a lot of “owning” the behaviour – admitting we are “spaced out”
• Identifying ways we’ve covered up DP
• Identifying triggers for DP

Physical therapy
• Playing with a small ball throwing it from one hand to the other for a few minutes
• Bouncing a large ball alternating left and right hands
• Alternate tapping of feet and or hands getting left and right brain to work – it seems to help pull me out

Treating DP like an addiction: I’m involved in 12 step programs and find that framework helpful in looking at DP/