Depersonalization Forum

Please use this forum to discuss information directly related to Depersonalization Disorder. We welcome you to share your own personal experiences with others as well as any treatment or study programs you may know about. We have been forced to restructure the Forum so we could have editing access as needed and be able to Archive older comments once they disappear.  Sorry for the temporary inconvenience, but now we will able to post older material for reference.

Depersonalization Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What "kind" of doctor?

Ok, so if I finally get around to actually "doing" something about this dp/dr, what kind of doctor should I see? Psychiatrist, neurologist, or... ?

I'm 48 years old.

First couple of dp/dr episodes in early teens, "out of the blue," with no known precipitating trauma or abuse. No more for about 10 years.

Daily morning "regular" headaches for a couple of years in high school.

First Panic Attack at about age 20, at college. Definitely stress-induced. No more for over 25 years.

Idiopathic "TIA" at about age 25 or 26.

First experience of claustrophobia during CAT-scan for TIA.

Attacks of "Migraine with aura" from late-20s to present, tapering down from at least one per month to maybe 3 per year.

Transient, relatively minor episodes of dp/dr in late 20s, mostly when driving home at night.

Dp/dr resurfaced strongly for no known reason May '07, and several other times that Summer and Fall, a few leading to P.A. Submerged and eventually almost vanished until May '08.

Reemerged in May '08 in an interesting "combination event": Bizarre vivid dream -> migraine-type headache upon awakening -> dp/dr -> P.A.

Since at least Summer '07, I have had constant or nearly-constant tinnitus.

I've had heart palpitations -- usually mild -- for quite a while.

I don't have depressive feelings, except sometimes for a few hours if I'm extremely fatigued and under heavy stress, and by far the main "anxiety" I have is in regard to future dp/dr events.

Additional info

No head injuries.

No alcohol abuse.

No drugs, other than antibiotics and OTC meds (colds, allergies, headaches), used according to instructions.

Re: What "kind" of doctor?

There are links between temporal lobe epilepsy and DP-like sensations, as well as migraines and DPD. It might be wise to be thoroughly checked out by a neurologist, and a psychiatrist must suggest going that route first as well, before venturing into psychiatric treatment.

Re: Re: What "kind" of doctor?

Thanks.

Would it be worthwhile for me to type up and print out a history like the one in my post, and have it available for the doc?

Re: Re: Re: What "kind" of doctor?

Definitely.