Depersonalization Forum

Please use this forum to discuss information directly related to Depersonalization Disorder. We welcome you to share your own personal experiences with others as well as any treatment or study programs you may know about. We have been forced to restructure the Forum so we could have editing access as needed and be able to Archive older comments once they disappear.  Sorry for the temporary inconvenience, but now we will able to post older material for reference.

Depersonalization Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: anyone end up DP/DR from abuse?

It will take a serious commitment to self-care, and while that might not be your cure, it certainly won't hurt. I also think it needs to be routine--I know for me anyway, I'll pick something up for a month and then forget it... but it would be better for your body if it were routine. Go to bed and wake up same time everyday; eat balanced meals at regular times (maybe having more smaller meals during the day; exercise (deep breathing and stretching / walking); etc. Limit overloading your senses too much during the day--dimmer lighting; less noise; etc., if you can.

Remind yourself that your mind is exhausted and forgive yourself for whatever your blaming yourself for. Make time to write in a diary every day--that and praying both seem like ways to communicate with a part of your ego that may be feeling neglected.

If you catch yourself staring off into space or feeling pitiful or being down on yourself, try to interrupt it with something productive or positive (even a movie).

Good luck un-stucking yourself.

By the way, I think self-care can often be more healing than anything else--so don't despair about not having insurance. It will require more work from you, but the outcome should be greater.