Depersonalization Forum

Please use this forum to discuss information directly related to Depersonalization Disorder. We welcome you to share your own personal experiences with others as well as any treatment or study programs you may know about. We have been forced to restructure the Forum so we could have editing access as needed and be able to Archive older comments once they disappear.  Sorry for the temporary inconvenience, but now we will able to post older material for reference.

Depersonalization Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: No diagnosis

You're not alone. I've had chronic depersonalization/derealization for 7 years. While panic, depression and axiety happened AS A RESULT of the DP/DR, hindsight is 20-20. When this first happened, I was having issues with anxiety and mood swings. Something was at work deep down in my body. Shortness of breath, panic attacks, and the rapid mood swings. Then this. Eventually this became the new normal. I was misdiagnosed for years and put on a lot of useless and downright harmful drugs. I am currently on four medications to deal with the damage from the previous medications. I'm currently seeking treatment from a trained psychotherapist in Ottawa who had training in dissociative disorders. Hypnotherapy will probably be a treatment option. People who dissociate easily are the best candidates for hypnotherapy. Don't expect mental health practitioners to know all about dissociative disorders. A lot won't understand. Hang in there. Nothing lasts forever.