<>
Return to Website

Welcome!

Please join us on our new website @:

Welcome To Rapture In The Air
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
RITA Family inTexas...Did any of you feel these two earthquakes?

I was just curious to know if any of the saints here at RITA that live in Texas felt these two earthquakes that happen on 9-2 and I recorded here at home.

The first picture is a M 4.1 that occurred near Timpson, Texas at 4:52:39 PM CDT.

The second picture is a M 4.3 that occurred near Timpson as well and this happened at 6:51:15 PM CDT.

The third picture is the M 4.3 as it's seismic signature was arriving at home.

Credit for the easy to follow plans for my home made seismograph (pictures below) is due to a gentleman by the name of Mr. James D. Lehman who worked in the Physics Department at James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Virginia.

His plans were in the July 1979 issue of Scientific American magazine and was written by Jeral Walker.

Also, since I am as dumb as a rock when it comes to putting together electronic components on a Radio Shack circuit board, I have two friends that came to my rescue and made the amplifiers for my system. The amplifiers make the very light vibrations that travel through the earth from distant earthquakes show up on the my chart recorders.

For our new RITA Family members, I record earthquakes here in my home in west-central Ohio and, the remaining pictures are of my two homemade seismometers that i put together in 1986. My chart recorders are pictured also.

My vertical seismometer is on the left and has 12 lbs of lead on the front end for mass. The instrument on the right is the horizontal set up with 8lbs of lead on the end of the boom.

The picture below shows the the pick up coils sitting in the gap of the two 25lb pull magnets. When an the earthquake's seismic waves pass underneath our house the pick up coil move ever so slightly in the gap of the magnet thus generating a very small electrical current that makes it way to the amplifier and, then into the recorder and printed out on the paper. As you can see I use ball point pens.

Below is a picture of the May 17, 2013 M 4.4 Shawville, Canada earthquake recorded on my chart recorders.

Larger earthquakes closer home make the pens on the recorders go 'Wall to Wall' like the picture above shows and, they do bang around on large events, case in point, was the August 23rd, 2011 M 5.8 near Mineral, Va. This was the event that closed down the Washington monument in our nation's capital. Here is a picture below of that event after it was recorded.

Maybe you have noticed the following before. The next time you are watching a news report on TV from Washington, D.C. and, the news reporter has the White House behind them....just look beyond the W.H. and you will see the the scaffolding around the Washington monument. The work is still going on to repair the damage from the M 5.8 Va. earthquake.

The picture below gives you an idea of just how fast the chart pen moves back and forth when the ground starts rocking. The event being recorded here is the M 4.4 Shawville, Canada earthquake.

I am just a plain ole nuts and bolts kinda of guy and, for me to be able to record earthquakes here at home is not the result of any great 'smarts' on my part. It has to do with the fact that I had a lot of very good help and my hats off to my friends in this regard

Have a Blessed Day my sisters and brothers><>

Your Bro...Seismo Joe

Re: RITA Family inTexas...Did any of you feel these two earthquakes?

Thank you for this report Brother !!
In Houston metroplex ...did not feel anything here .

Email: bonniebell81@hotmail.com

That is AWESOME!

I've always wondered if any of the major geological services "tweak" the data after an earthquake, do you ever notice official data from a major quake changing or disappearing?

(There was talk a few months ago about a large series of quakes near Iceland disappearing from the record books)

I've been fascinated for a long time over your hobby Joseph. Thanks for explaining all the gizmos and how they work. Golly, that DC earthquake really was a wall to wall signal. I'm guessing you've been pretty busy recording the last few weeks or so.

For the newbies, Joseph is our resident earthquake expert. We like to check in to get his opinions whenever a big one occurs and things get busy earthquake-wise. Another sign we're seeing more frequently these days from Matthew 24. Right on schedule we see this activity ramping up.

Email: victorychanter@raptureintheairnow.com

Pretty cool Joe,
I was thinking of you the other day and what your opinion was, good to hear from you!

I live in east Texas just a bit north of the Timpson quakes. We didn't feel or hear anything. The last time the quakes happened in the same area, and about the same intensity, my wife was wakened by one of them thinking the cat had jumped on the bed (a no-no). This time nothing. We have some patients who live within 20 miles of it who haven't reported anything on facebook, but they did feel "a little bit" the last time the quakes occured.

Hey there Bonnie, Clean Slate Films, Victory Chanter, Mom of 2 and TxThom. Thank you for your replies. In the last 5 hrs and 15 mins or so, between going here and there runing errands, picking up grand kids, eating supper, took in a high school volley ball game and, getting back home...LOL...You all know the routine...now...I am going to play catch up.

Bonnie, these two Texas events are little ways from you and that is probably why you didn't feel them. Reference to what TxThom said above is interesting, that he lives a little north of Timpson and, they didn't feel them. Bonnie, I appreciate your report from the Houston area

Hi there Clean Slate Films. Right up front, I apologize and I am sorry, I do not know if you are a brother or sister. Big Smile from me, set me straight...another Big Smile for ya. Thank you Clean Slate Films for your AWESOME compliment I appreciate this very much...Super big smile.

To answer your question, I'll give you the long answer. If you doze off...smile...smile...I understand....Big Smile here.

I have never seen a major earthquake removed from any of the 'major geological services'. I have seen reported earthquakes removed on a couple of official sites that were caused from explosions used in removing coal in the mines of West Virgina.

A couple of years ago my seismometers picked an event that was reported by the National Earthquake Information Centers reporting stations as a M 4.1 or so, near Williamson, W. Va. Man!!! I thought I had recorded a fairly moderate earthquake from my home state next door.

A couple of hours after this event or seismic signal, it was removed from their lists as they reviewed their records and, determined by the signature of the tracing that it was not an earthquake, it was just mining operations.

I did not know that little piece of information and, I concluded, that's strange, something must be amiss, why would they want to 'hide' this information??? I was wrong. Just normal procedures down at our friendly N.E.I.C. office. Differentiating between mining operations and earthquakes is something they do every day. Now, for whatever reason the professionals can remove them from their sites, but, if the earthquake is big enough and, in my case a M 6.5 anywhere in the world is the threshold that my little humble operation can pick up and record. Myself and any other amateur seismo person will have a permanent record of said event.

Thanks to the following site, http://anf.ucsd.edu/recenteqs/, I can and, anyone else can see first hand that most of the seismic noise coming from eastern Kentucky and and southwestern West Virginia are indeed mining blasts. While I was growing up in West Virginia I never felt a shake from the ground in any way.

Also, from just a little west of the Mississippi river all the way to the eastern sea board is covered with portable seismic instruments this year, so the professionals in the geologic studies can understand where the locations of unknown faults might be located http://www.iris.edu/activeearth/content/es_TA_status.phtml.

As we know,the western portion of our country has been wired this way for a very long time and, as a result, a vast amount of knowledge has been acquired to help better understand why earthquakes behave the way they do. The ultimate goal of the professionals in seismic studies is to be able to predict when earthquakes will happen.

One geologist stated in effect, "The results of our findings from this seismic array (http://www.iris.edu/activeearth/content/es_TA_status.phtml would be akin to a 'cat scan' that a doctor would perform on you. We want to see what is going on inside of our planet and recording seismic events and analyzing the results helps us in our understanding of the dynamics of the earth's interior."

Victory Chanter, you are right sis! I haven't been this seismically busy for what seems a long time. A whole bunch can come out of nowhere and then they die off for a while. Very mysterious phenomenon indeed. Thank you Victory Chanter for your reply... Big Smile.

Mom of 2, thank you very much my sister for your reply and compliment. I appreciate it...another Big Smile your way.

TxThom, thank you my brother for your reply and I do remember you mentioning the earthquake you talked about above a while back. My wife and I know also what it is like for the cat to take flight and jump up on the bed in the middle of the night. Scares the daylights out of me...LOL.

Thank you again Bonnie, Clean Slate Films, Victory Chanter, Mom of 2 and last, but not least, TxThom. May each of you have a very Blessed Eve and a very Blessed Day tomorrow. Looking forward to meeting you soon at Home><>

Love to you all...your bro...Seismo Joe

Impressive equipment, Joseph!

I sometimes hang out on an EQ forum, and some of the folks there are very familiar with the phenomenon of mine blasts on the quake maps. They saw mini quakes in a particular part of the desert so often that one woman gave the mine a nickname. IIRC, sometimes the mine blasts tend to happen at particular times, too.

The USGS gets a lot of flak for lowering the magnitude of major quakes. Must be a conspiracy! Well, they do also raise the magnitude sometimes. I gather it has to do with the trustworthiness of equipment at certain locations, the distance from the quake to the nearest equipment, etc.

When large quakes vanish, it's usually a case of a very large quake being sensed by equipment thousands of miles away. At that distance, there's enough of a time lag that it's not obviously the same quake. With the time lag and a significant magnitude difference, it will seem that these are separate quakes. But when a seismologist looks at the printed signal, it's obviously a distant quake rather than one close to the equipment, so he deletes it from the list.

(Another reason it's obviously not a local quake is that the humans in that area didn't feel a quake. But if someone is in New York and sees a quake list that shows a huge quake in Mongolia and a large quake a few minutes later in South America -- well, the guy in New York isn't in South America, so he's not aware that no quake was felt in South America.)

I remember the incident with those good-sized quakes near Iceland that were deleted, but I don't remember what the explanation was.

I am in College Station and nope, I felt nothing and I did not know we had one in Texas. Thanks for the info :)

Top of the morning to you Perian and delila and, thank you for your complementary replies.

Perian
…sometimes the mine blasts tend to happen at particular times, too.

This is what I have found on the http://anf.ucsd.edu/recenteqs/ site about the recorded events in Kentucky and West Virginia of late. These mine blasts are in a certain time block. Reference to the deleted Icelandic earthquakes, I do not remember hearing why they were removed

Perian
…one woman gave the mine a nickname. IIRC, sometimes the mine blasts tend to happen at particular times, too.

Do you happen to remember what the nickname it was given? Like…’Clockwork Mines Inc…smile. Thank you again Perian for your reply and also all the time you take in posting Pastor JD’s transcripts. I too really enjoy reading these transcripts.

And, top of the morning to you delila. You are very welcome and I appreciate you checking in today.

Perian and delila, may both of you have a Blessed Day><>

Your brother…Seismo Joe

TX Thom, either you have a really BIG cat or that was a far away, tiny earthquake...lol...
Seismo Joe, that is really some impressive equiptment you have. Do you do that just for a hobby or for a living? If so, that is SOME hobby. That is all so interesting!

Joseph-
Thank you for the explanation. I have often wondered about how seismologists differentiate between the different shakes! (At 2:00 in the morning, our cat seems like a 4.0 to me!)

(By the way, I am a 'brother')

See you soon!

Good afternoon to you Shiloh and Clean Slate Films.

Shiloh, Big Smile…get ready for this…the long answer…LOL. This is just a hobby of mine. I felt my first earthquake on Sunday afternoon at 2:52pm edt, July 27, 1980 while I was at work (Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification & Investigation located in London, Ohio). This particular day I was dispatching in our communications room where I monitored radio-telephone-and get this, answering teletypes (all you younger sisters and brothers may ask, “What in the world is a teletype? I’ll let you look up this ancient form of communication on your own…LOL) from law enforcement agencies within the state and around the country. The main reason why I remember this date and time so well is 1). This is the first time I ever felt an earthquake. It was not a minor quake but, a moderate one. It was located in northern Kentucky and it was a M 5.1. The location from the epicenter in Sharpsburg, Ky. To where I was at work was 120 miles and thank you Google Earth. 2.) reason, being a dispatcher and having to log in items related to work, I added the following entry in the ‘radio log’. At 2:52pm there was possible Earthquake.

At this particular time of day, a Sunday afternoon, the work was light and I was caught up. So, I am sitting on the couch in the lobby, all stretched out with my feet propped up reading a book. I was only about five steps away from the land line land in case it started ringing.

When,…all of a sudden the couch started shaking, the 14 feet high windows beside the couch started rattling as they got in sync with the seismic waves, the trophies in the display case started moving around a little bit, but they didn’t fall over crash through the glass. I thought….Good Night!! What is going on here!! My first impression was, did a plane hit the other side of the building? When nothing looked unusual outside, and no wreckage was raining down from where I was sitting. I collected my wits and thought, could it have been and earthquake. It was an earthquake.

This Shiloh, was the earthquake that awakened in me a latent interest in earthquakes. I became fascinated in what titanic forces are involved to move miles of real estate around. I wore the doors of the local library for a long period of time. I wrote to the Vatican City of earthquake research in Menlo Park, California for any information on how one can build a homemade seismograph. About a week later, I received a very nice letter that referenced Mr. Jeral Walker’s article referenced above….and here we are today. That’s my story my ’LilSis’

Shiloh, thank you again for your reply and have a Blessed Day and as you know, we are one day closer to Home

Hey there Brother, Clean Slate Films thank you Sir for setting me straight. And, you are very welcome my friend. Yes, I am looking for to seeing you as well. By the way, your moniker begs the question and maybe you mentioned it on the board and I missed it, I am guessing you make films. Clean Slate Films, I want you to have a very Blessed Eve as the day is winding down here in my neck of the woods. It’s football Friday night in our little town and I’ll check in after the game.

Speaking of kitty cats, below are some pics our kitty Blue Bell. She is about 6mos young and she is the pet of our cheerleading grand daughter.

Here a picture of her in mid March playing peek-a-boo in the quilting rack.

Just hanging around on the screen door to our deck.

Now that I am tuckered out it is off to sleep I go to dream about our Blessed Hope.

Catch ya later after the game, or, if we are raptured…I‘ll meet you in the air.

Love to you all,

Your BigBro Seismo Joe

How neat! A fellow Ohioan. We live along the lake. You built that yourself? That's even MORE impressive! I believe I might have to steal your kitty though. If she is missing, you'll know why. We have 4 females (from the same litter) all very spoiled too. Blue Bell is a little dolly bug! She would get away with anything at my house! Anyway, that is such an intersting hobby. Wish I had your brains!
My cats lay around like slugs and aren't impressed even with new toys.

Peanut thinks she owns the house~

most of the time they lay around like hand tossed puppets or lazy slugs...

Hello there my fellow Buckeye by the 'lake'. That is such a pretty area and the fishing is good up that way, even though I haven't dropped and line in the water up there for a couple of years. I can tell your beautiful cats have it made in the shade Yes, Peanut looks like she may be thinking, "Yep, its all mine.

Shiloh
I believe I might have to steal your kitty though. If she is missing, you'll know why. We have 4 females (from the same litter) all very spoiled too. Blue Bell is a little dolly bug!

Thank you Shiloh and by your pictures of your precious kitties, I know if you do catnap her, she will be very well taken care of

Shiloh
Wish I had your brains!

How about we trade brains....if we could....I would be the winner my LilSis

Shiloh
My cats lay around like slugs and aren't impressed even with new toys.

Shiloh, I love this line Shiloh and it cracked up

Since I live in Ohio and cheer for the Buckeyes and, I was born a Mountaineer in West Virginia...that would make a Buccaneer

Thanks again Shiloh for posting the beautiful pictures of you kitty cats and your compliments.

Have a Blessed Day><> today my 'LilSis' and fellow Buckeye.

Your BigBro Seismo Joe

<>
Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com