Texas Tournament Series Message Board

Flag football

Texas Tournament Series Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Meet the Bayou City Cowboys

Ten questions with Quintus Bratton, captain for the Bayou City Cowboys.

TFF3: How long have the Bayou City Cowboys been playing flag football?
Bratton: The Bayou City Cowboys have been playing together as a team for a year and a half.

TFF3: How did it start?
Bratton: The team started with a vision from the team captain who played flag football on a nationl circuit.

TFF3: If you had to describe the current Bayou City Cowboys team in one sentence how would you do so?
Bratton: The Bayou City Cowboys are competitive and experienced, yet fast & fun.

TFF3: What leagues and tournaments have the Bayou City Cowboys participated in? Many of the teams in this tournament are familiar with one another. Do the Bayou City Cowboys have an advantage or disadvantage with its unfamiliarity at the Bayou City Bash?
Bratton: The BCC's have competed in leagues in The Woodlands, Atascasita, and in Houton.. I believe the advantage for BCC would be that we have not competed in a MAJOR State Sanctioned tournament, and can surprise teams.

TFF3: What’s your vision for this team? How good can the Bayou City Cowboys become?
Bratton: My vision is to continue to compete in local leagues, then to major tournaments, to state tournments and on to a national tournament. As for how good we can become.....the sky is the limit.

TFF3: Who’s your biggest rival in Houston?
Bratton: Houston Rage.

TFF3: If you could have one player from another Houston team who do you choose and why?
Bratton: I don't have an answer for this one.

TFF3: According to texanflagfootball.com the Bayou City Cowboys are currently unranked. Where should the Bayou City Cowboys be ranked locally?
Bratton: Respectfully, within the top 15 in the city of Houston

TFF3: Will the Bayou City Cowboys be attending the state tournament in College Station this year? How do you think you’ll will do?
Bratton: We did not participate in a sanctioned league that allows us to participate in the state tournament at College Station, but we would LOVE to participate. I believe we would finish within the top 12.

TFF3: Player to watch for the Bayou Bash and why?
Bratton: Reginald Hilliard - EXPLOSIVE, QUICK, GREAT TEAM PLAYER & # 3 SAAVY SEASONED SMART PLAYER.

Meet the Next Level Titans

Ten questions with Christopher Davis, captain of the Next Level Titans.

TFF3: How long have the Next Level Titans been playing flag football?
Davis: 2006

Davis: We started the Titans late in 2006 as a way of bringing back everyone that played in the old 17-5A district. The original players consisted of folks who went to Madison, Worthing, Sterling, Westbury, Lamar, Bellaire, Lee, & Sharpstown. The team is sponsored by Vince Young.

TFF3: If you could describe the current Titans team in one sentence how would you do so?
Davis: To describe us in one word, I would use aggressive. Thats the type of ball we try to play and we play with emotion.

TFF3: The Titans play both 8 man screen and XFFL semi-contact? How does playing XFFL help or hurt the Titans when it comes to tournaments?
Davis: The X serves as a good practice ground for us and also provides fun on sundays since its more about bragging rights in the X. Players always tend to say well it would be a lot different if we had pads on. Well we dont wear pads but we do jam. However at the same we are the only team that does jam so for some of our current players who havent played in many tournaments it will be different for them.

TFF3: Compare Houston ’s 8 man screen leagues versus XFFL leagues. Who plays better ball? What XFFL teams don’t get respect in local and state rankings?
Davis: Depth wise, the better league is the Sportsplex Tuesday Night league but the top 5 or 6 teams in the X could easily compete in that league and be right there in the running for the championship. Its just that on Tuesday Nights u can never take a night off. I do think though that many of the teams in the Tuesday League wouldnt like the X cuz of that contact factor.

TFF3: Who’s your biggest rival in Houston ?
Davis: Our biggest rival in Houston would be the Gators. Simply because the Gators formed from the Titans so many of the Gators core players are ex Titans. We all still get along but having played with and against each other, every game is close, intense, and competitive. The Jaguars would be a close second for us.

TFF3: If you could have one player from another Houston team who do you choose and why?
Davis: Its a tie between Matt from Storm and Danny from the Gators. Matt plays with us in the X and everyone has a great comfort level with him on the Team. Danny is a natural athlete that can play a variety of spots and excel in all of them. Plus he is a former Titan and his attitude fits in perfectly with the teams.

TFF3: According to texanflagfootball.com the Next Level are currently unranked. Where should you be ranked?
Davis: I think that us being unranked is a good thing for us. Lets us play with a chip on our shoulder. We dont deserve to be ranked since we havent played in a tournament in over a year and half before going to San Antonio in August. We had a good showing but not the outcome that we would have liked.

TFF3: Will the Titans be attending the state tournament in College Station this year? How do you think you’ll do?
Davis: Titans are going to State in College Station this year and we are expecting to win it. We have the experience as some of our core players have all went and played with other teams while we havent fielded a tournament team. Anything less than first place will be a disappointment for us.

Davis: I think everyone should be on the lookout for Dafford Coleman. He is pretty well known among the tournament circle for his play with the Gators but u always have to know where he is on the field. Someone that teams may not know about but will find out is Herbert Woods. We may be without some of our other top WRs for the tournament but Big Herb always makes a play when needed.

Meet the Houston Jaguars

Ten questions with Patrick Juneau, captain of the Houston Jaguars.

TFF3: How long have the Houston Jaguars been playing flag football?
Juneau: We have been around since 1998-1999

Juneau: I was playing for a team called Run-N-Shoot. Decided I wanted my own team and figured I could do better. So I went for it.

TFF3: If you could describe the current Jaguars team in one sentence how would you do so?
Juneau: We are a team that's getting better day by day, but we still have a lot to learn and achieve. We are a older team with a few sprinkles of young guys.

TFF3: The Jaguars play both 8 man screen and XFFL semi-contact. How does playing XFFL help or hurt the Jaguars when it comes to tournaments?
Juneau: The competition in the X is unbelievable. A lot of the teams were made from the X. Playing in the X keeps you on your toes and keeps your game at all time high, so when you come to the non-contact it makes the game easier

TFF3: Compare Houston ’s 8 man screen leagues versus XFFL leagues. Who plays better ball? What XFFL teams don’t get respect in local and state rankings?
Juneau: The Jaguars, the Gators and the Vipers play better ball. The Jaguars and Vipers (don't get enough respect).

TFF3: Who’s your biggest rival in Houston?
Juneau: The Houston Gators. They are a hell of a team. I hate meeting those guy's. Talent across the board.

Juneau: Jay Davis (currently not playing, rehabbing at this time) Played for a team called Elevated back in the day. A hell of a baller and would love to have him on my team.

TFF3: According to texanflagfootball.com the Jaguars are currently ranked #2. Where should you be ranked?
Juneau: Really surprised we are ranked that high, but I will take it.

TFF3: Will the Houston Jaguars be attending the state tournament in College Station this year? How do you think you’ll do?
Juneau: Yes, we will be there and ready to ball. Depending on what I guy's I take and how committed they are, if we have a showing like we did last year in state, we should do pretty well.

Juneau: Any team or player can have a break-out tournament, that's what's so great about tournament ball.

Meet All Madden

Ten questions with Chris Vela, captain of All Madden.

TFF3: How long has Madden been playing flag football?
Vela: All Madden has been around since 1996 with Josh McCree and Waylon Gossett wearing old time leather helmets to tourneys. I joined the team in 1999 and we have been going since then. The longest standing members are Kevin Timmons, Sen Tanh, and myself. There have been several iterations of the team and lots of good friends.

Vela: Most people remember the leather helmets, but the team really got going when we played the state tourney in 2000 hosted in Abilene. We won the $1000 cash prize at the Inaugural Houston Texan Tourney Matt Kacal masterminded during Hurricane Alicia I believe. After that we won a couple of smaller B tourneys, then decided to play A ball for a while.

TFF3: If you could describe the current Madden team in one sentence how would you do so?
Vela: In one word, misfits. We are a compilation of some guys other teams gave up on, people avoided because of bad attitudes, and then the sane ones that glue it all together. I am not one of the sane ones I've been told. But we try to play smart within a system and that usually gives us a chance to win.

TFF3: Madden, SPARQ, Uninvited Guests, etc. It’s hard to brand a team and gain recognition with so many team names, despite many of the players being constant. What factors determine which team you bring out?
Vela: Well, prior to some of these new teams within the last couple of years, I think Madden had one of the more recognizable names in Texas flag football. We went through a hard split a couple of years ago and changed to Sparq because that is what the shirts had on them and I think Team Nike would have brought about some lawsuit. We have always been Madden, but we needed to take a step back for bit so we went with aliases. Now, I think we are ready to take the name Madden on again and get back to having some fun which is why we play the game.

TFF3: Madden is combining with Austin Headhunters for the Bayou Bash this year. What advantages and challenges does that combination entail?
Vela: We were going to mix the teams, but Tony (Headhunters QB) had to stay in Austin for family reasons. The challenges would have been getting chemistry quickly and getting to know each other. The obvious advantage is combining 2 talented teams and having some extra players in a long tourney.

TFF3: Who’s your biggest rival in Houston ?
Vela: Well, we have been playing against Rage and Storm the longest, but lately we have had this back and forth thing going with Tuna Can Jones. They have a smart team with some good talent and are the most improved team as of late in my book.

Vela: Nice question....very loaded. Next question, LOL. We respect a lot of players on other teams for being team players and talented. But we have trouble getting some of the players we have on our team out on the field (not naming anybody in particular Alex, Sen, Tuyen), let alone trying to look outside the bubble.

TFF3: According to texanflagfootball.com SPARQ/Uninvited Guests are currently ranked #8. Where should you be ranked?
Vela: We are ranked? Huh. I used to pay attention to that a lot more, but we feel we have a good squad that can compete with any team. We just want to improve on the field and have a good time, the rankings can be skewed.

TFF3: Will Madden be attending the state tournament in College Station this year? How do you think you’ll do?
Vela: Yes, we plan on making the state tourney. Regardless of who is able to make it, if we protect the ball and play smart D, we will do well. The goal is to win, but we want to play our best and have fun.

Vela: The Asian Persuasions (Sen, Tuyen, and Loc). We pride ourselves on the eastern medicine we recruit and have on our team. Alex Batista is a solid rusher and can have a major effect on a game. Nick Knight, Mark Infante, and Timmons are playmakers as well. Hard to say which one or ones will step up. Hopefully a few.