Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Calling all milers

Fancy having a go at one of running's most iconic races?

Barnet & District have an annual mile race on the track, open to ALL club runners: The Golden Stag Mile.

It's a night of graded mile races, and this year it will be held at the newly re-laid (and bouncy) Finsbury Park track.

Wed 22nd June, £4 entry.
https://www.entrycentral.com/goldenstagmile

If you've never raced a mile on the track before, here's an article (written prior to last year's event) to give you an idea of what to expect:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2016/may/31/bringing-back-the-mile

Re: Calling all milers

Sounds interesting Ed! I've never had a go at a mile before

Fancy this - cheers, Ed!

I have raced a mile on a track (not terribly seriously) but I think I'd be embarrassingly slow these days!

Unfortunately this date clashes with the Summer Mulligatawny, otherwise I might have been tempted .....

really fancy this.....but I have signed up for the mulligatawny!

well written article Ed, nice one....gives me goosebumps just reading it, and I would thoroughly recommend reading "Once A Runner".

Just shows that marathons are not the only "bucket list" race.....

I might have a go at this...

reading Ed's piece in the guardian got my fired up, I've entered

I've entered - no idea on what time to estimate for a mile...suck it and see I guess!

got to be aiming for sub 5 minutes at least Darren!

I'm booked on this. 22nd is a Thursday :)

I'm on this now.

Peer pressured into the #breaking5 party.

Woops - sorry, yeah: Thursday NOT Wednesday

Sounds fun, I might do it!

Sounds good fun.

EdP
Woops - sorry, yeah: Thursday NOT Wednesday

So that definitely is the same night as the Mulli - shame ......

I've just entered! Thanks Ed

The final instructions and start lists have been announced for Thursday evening:

http://www.barnetadac.com/golden-stag-mile-2017-final-instructions-and-start-lists/

There are to be 13 races, with Race 1 starting at 18.45, and the presentation for the last two races due at 21.15. It looks as though we have Squirrels in races 11, 12 and 13. I imagine Race 11 will not get going until after 20.30.

I'm planning to be on the 19.05 from Hitchin (19.00 from Letchworth), to get in to Finsbury Park at 19.31 - if anyone wants to come then too.

The track is in the park itself, roughly 10 mins walk from the station.

Cheers,
ed

Cheers Ed!

It's currently predicted 24degrees. Doh! Is there a temperature adjusted time! Why did I put down 5mins!? I'm going to be last, and there's a V60 in our race!

Don't worry if you come behind that v60. Here he is winning the V60 800m World Champs in Portland last year:
https://youtu.be/-uf1tI-vLNE?t=522

I think he's got the European Mile record, and might be in with a shot of getting the World Record (hopefully it will cool down a bit).

Ed
I will join you on the train from Hitchin.

I will get the train also.

Race 12 looks tasty 😋

I'll be on that train too. At least it will be over quickly!

The same train is 18:57 at Baldock. I'll be on it...

I'll get that train too & then I'll be catching the NHRR train in race 12. 5 squirrels, 5 Barnet, 4 London Heathside & 3 Mornington Chasers, lets show them who's boss

Good luck to everyone on Thursday - this has caught my imagination and even though it is not something I would ever contemplate doing myself (I think my performance on the track tonight explains why) I would have been tempted to come and watch were I not already otherwise engaged... Have a great time everyone and don't injure yourselves with all that speed!

I'll be on the same train! at least mine is over first, then I can sit back and spectate, I think I'm more looking forward to that to be honest.

If only I could have heeded your advice sooner, Jo.

I now won't be running tomorrow, but will still go along as planned.

Gutted, absolutely gutted - but hey, that's running!

Ed I'm really gutted for your injury and hope it mends clean and fast.

See anyone at Letchworth for the 7pm down to FP.

P.s. does anyone know where I am entered...my name isnt on the list... where can i see the start sheet....lining up with the dream team?

Thanks!

Very sorry to hear about your injury Ed and hope it clears up quickly. Unfortunately Karen can't make it but Pete will join you on the train.

You are on the list Jim, No. 30. It's on the URL Ed posted and in an email they sent us...

Get well soon Ed!

Such a shame you can't run tonight Ed, hope the injury heals soon!

Fantastic night gentlemen, really well done.

Here are the (impressive) finishing times:
race 11
Simon 5:13.5

race 12
Jim 5:03.1
Adam 5:02.2
John A 4:58.8
Darren 4:57.8

race 13
Mark 4:57.3

Also, thanks and kudos to Pete and John R.

Overheard comment: "North Herts have got a good team, haven't they?"

Pics:
https://goo.gl/photos/KX2tNavmp6G71kKY9

Feel proud to be a Squirrel, and proud too of Barnet for putting on such a great event.

Here's to next year!

Brilliant event, want to go back & break 5 now!

Well done everyone who ran & thanks to Ed & Pete for the support

Thanks for getting us out to this Ed, it was great fun, and we didn't crash and burn. Yey! Really enjoyed it.

Really pleased with my #Breaking5 time. Although I needed a 67second last lap to get it. Slightly disappointed with 4th place.

It's a great bit of speedwork and the recovery is quick! The race is only 5mins long, it's fantastic...

Race 12 was a really tactical race, with us all bunched up for 3 and a quarter laps. The other races were all strung right out. Think the front runners did a number on us a bit, by backing it up. Should have gone for the finish earlier and had 2 of us on that podium, but pleased we had one at least. Well done Darren!

Thanks to Pete and Ed for support.

Great pics, especially No. 56.

Fantastic results - well done all of you - and Ed, sorry to see you didn't get to run especially as you kicked the whole thing off. There is always next year...

BTW John A, for most of us the race would be quite a bit more than 5 minutes long. However when I was fifteen I could also (and did) run a 67 second lap with rubbish kit and no training - 37 years later with proper kit and training I can't. Anywhere near. Which is why we have age graded percentages and good for age qualifying times!

Forgot to mention that I had a great laugh the whole night because of the lads that went. Great team spirit! Thanks for the support boys... I'm really enjoying racing for the team at the moment. We are doing great! As is the whole of NHRR.

Roll on Wednesday night for the promotion party!

#BeMoreSquirrel

It was a great evening & race 12 was a lesson in how to race on the track. I think all us Squirrel's felt the potential was there for us to run faster, however we were schooled by the seasoned track runners who slowed the pace for the early laps & left the race as a mad scramble at the bell.

I certainly feel sub 5 was achievable if we had run the first 2/3 laps slightly quicker, I'm sure Jim could have done the same. Could have allowed John & Darren to have been even quicker!

Provisional results are now up:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByJXO8UtncrMdlJGdnNFOHBfcGc/view

There's some fantastic pictures Here

Videos of all the races:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=golden+stag+mile