Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
London marathon

The ballot places have been announced. How did we get on?
Anyone through the ballot?

Dickie

Re: London marathon

I am not :(

I didn't get a place either :(

I didn't get a place either.
Andrew

I'm in but I deferred from last year due to injury

Don't forget to keep your rejection notice if you want to try for a club place, folks!

I didnt get a place either :(

I'd like to try for a club place for sure. Will keep my eyes and ears out for updates.

I'm in, good for age.

here's the process for NHRR London Marathon club places, we qualify for 2 this year:
http://www.nhrr.org.uk/london-marathon-club-places.html

last year we also qualified for some brighton marathon places...just trying to find out more about that too...

For the moment, keep your proof of rejection and watch the forum for more announcements...

I didn't get in either.

Never mind - I am in for Malta and Coed y Brenin and will apply for the Highland Fling Ballot again :-)

As Sue and Jo keep reminding us - there are some great events out there!

Failed again :-(

I'm in! GFA.

Did anyone get through the ballot?

Does this not say something about the fairness of the London Marathon entry system? I have a GFA place if I want it but choose not to use it because I think that is an equally unfair method of allocating places.

There are plenty of marathons out there - including big city ones - where all you have to do is enter to get a place. Or you could join me for a far more peaceful run through Breckland Forest with about 100 other runners on the same day as London.

Jo,

Go on then tell us a few that are worth doing in the Spring. You may just tempt me to get the marathon shoes out again.

Dickie

Dickie - I enjoyed Paris last spring if you are looking for a city marathon within easy reach. We just jumped on Eurostar.

A group of us are also going to Malta in Feb next year.

Otherwise over to the marathon guru Jo!

I think Paris is my favourite. I also really enjoyed Zurich and Rome...New York was an amazing experience too!

I am in via the ballot. Now just need to do the training to run sub 3.15.

Well obviously I am going to say Rome - not only will it be my 13th consecutive year there it will also be my 200th marathon.

Closer to home there is Halstead (probably my favourite UK Road marathon) and Bungay (just down the road from where Stewart handed over to Sue on the RNR). Both have less than 1000 runners, Bungay is 2 laps with the half marathon starting 2 hours after the full which is great for keeping the marathon runners going on the second lap. The only marathon I have run faster than these two is Rome.

Halstead in particular is only an hour's drive away, plenty of parking 2 minutes from the start, plenty of toilets/changing, great route, goes through one village 3 times so any supporters can park there (car park provided) and see their runner 3 times without moving, residents on route join in with support - extra drink stations/ice pops/sprinklers/jelly babies, and medals presented by the mayor!

Back in Europe the choice is massive - Seville, Barcelona, Paris, Riga, Ibiza, Malta..... Take your pick!

Nice one Vince!

7th year running and no place.

May run for a cp charity just waiting to hear back from them. If I don't get a charity place I may take the hint .

I'm in, charity place. Running for Children with Cancer UK.

Big thanks Jo. I like the sound of Riga

Ollie, Stewart and myself are doing Riga next year!

Come and join us Dickie. but remember "what happens in Riga, stays in Riga"

well done Adrian & John on the GFA- hope all goes we'll

Not in

Stewart,
Have you entered already? I am very tempted.
D

Dickie

We have all discussed it and confirmed that we will run.

The early bird entry is until the end of the year so not yet. I was planning on signing up within the next month of so though and its only 27 euros.

Ollie Garbas is an experienced Riga campaigner. He can give you the full details with regard to the course and Riga as a place in general.

Definitely signing up for either half or 10k #boysontour

OK. Hint taken. I'll put Riga on my bucket list for another year!

Its a NO for me as well.
May be allowed to do Edinburgh as my wife likes a weekend in Edinburgh

When can we enter for the club places?

I got a no - but then I had forgotten I had entered!!!!

Its a no from me too for VLM.
Will still go to support NHRR!

Plan is to defer my longer run efforts to be ready for Snowdonia Trail Marathon in July...(which was a little easier to get into weirdly?!)

I have a no letter and will enter the club ballot this year please.

Chris

Will keep you updated on club places!

I got the sorry letter too

I'm not in either. Have been rejected for numerous years.
York marathon is great and fairly flat running past York Minster and through the Yorkshire villages. I've done this twice but couldn't do it this year as Georgina and I always run it together and she still has a broken leg!!!! She is thinking of doing a swimming marathon instead as at least she can swim with her leg.
I will be looking out for the club places process 😀

JIM McC
Its a no from me too for VLM.
Will still go to support NHRR!

Plan is to defer my longer run efforts to be ready for Snowdonia Trail Marathon in July...(which was a little easier to get into weirdly?!)

Jim - that's a great event (though I have only done the half which is brutal!) I think I would prefer to do the full just to avoid the extra hill at the end of the half!

Keep proof of your rejection (email/rejection slip) etc if you are interested in a club place, more news soon!

Hello
I didn’t get in through ballot sadly so will be going for a club place and crossing my fingers!
Kat

for those who really want to run London, do consider a charity place. I appreciate that these can be costly, especially if you are a 'well seasoned' marathon runner and do many races. However, its a win-win (you get a place and the charity the much needed funds) and if you research around you might find a charity that resonates with you and where the fundraising target is reasonable to achieve.