Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Running watch

So after training the other Tuesday in the hammering down rain, my gps watch finally gave up! :(

I was using a Fitbit surge. Does anyone have any recommendations on any makes or models, I don't need anything too fancy, I just like to look at my pace, map my runs on Strava and would also like it to have a HR monitor. There are so many different ones!!!!

Thank you!

Re: Running watch

I have a Tom Tom spark 3 it's simple has great features can do many activities in it can set up different workouts for different things endurance fat burning set pace connects to endomondo etc really great running watch:wink:

I very recently got one as a birthday gift for my other half (he has tried it out but not actually got it yet) and went for a garmin forerunner 235 (he will use it as running-specific thing only, rather than a fitness tracker, smart watch or multi-sport device). The only criteria we had to have was the ability to set up our own custom workouts rather than simple on/off run/recover repeat workouts. Yep, all the garmin devices send the runs to Strava from the Garmin Connect app; yep, you can export data from Garmin Connect in gpx/tcx format to back up outside of a propriety system. I too couldn’t really say any of these watches are really that different in terms of spec/function at a given price point; I think it’s more a matter of what you get used to in terms of using the thing, what data presentation you fancy.

I would say buy a Garmin - there's a fairly wide range of running specific watches and also triathlon watches. Many of us at the club use them in one form or another. The fitness tracker type watches are OK, but are a bit limited in what they can do, and they seem to be more of a lifestyle / fashion thing.
Have a look when you are at the club at what other members are using - I'm sure there will be someone with a watch that would suit you, and they may even give you a quick demo!

Thank you!!!

I think I'm going to go for a garmin... been looking at a lot of reviews, now I'm just waiting for a good Black Friday deal!!!

I am a recent convert to a tomtom spark from a basic garmin...it picks up satellite outside the spirella much more quickly!