Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bird Run is on 9th June

Advance notice - this year's Bird Run will be on Saturday 9th June.

For those unfamiliar with this event, the idea is that we meet at Astrid and Steve's house (directions will follow) and then jog around nearby Oughtonhead Common nature reserve, stopping whenever there is a bird to look at or hear. In previous years we have seen Corn Buntings, Yellowhanmers, Whitethroats and even Water Rail. It's amazing what wildlife is on our doorstep.

Bring binoculars if you have them, but we will be listening as well as looking, so keep your ears open!

We'll probably cover around 3 miles in an hour and a bit and then it's back to base for Astrid's delicious home baking (the real highlight).

Please post here if you wish to attend, so we know numbers.

Re: Bird Run is on 9th June

Yes please. I love the bird run!

I hope to be there :slightly_smiling_face:

yes please - I promise to be quiet.

Is it at a nice gentle pace?

Yes I'm in!

Hayley - yes, very gentle. Completely suitable for all our runners.

Count me in please

I would like to join you too. let me know if I can help out

Jo

What sort of start and finish times are you looking at? This sounds lovely but I already have plans from late morning so might be a bit too tight for me...

Yes please for both of us:)

Jo H
yes please - I promise to be quiet.
I’ll be there trying to be quiet too...
Maybe I’ll graduate from pigeon spotting this year!

Ahh yes, start time. Good point..

Let's start earlier this year at 8.00am.

We should be out for around an hour and a quarter, so back at Astrid's for refreshments around 9.15. Some people then like to eat and chat for an hour or more (Astrid and Steve have a lovely garden and the refreshments are very good....), but this is not compulsory.

James

I would like to join you please......just to witness Jo trying to be quiet!:smiley:

Yes please.

Thanks for the times James. I’m in please 😁

I plan to come along. Thx

Count me in please.

Yes please - really enjoyed the last one i came to. Don't know if it was Steve's musli or the Water Rail that was the highlight.

Rich and I would love to come. Thanks!

Would love to join you, it was very informative last year.
Heard Cuckoo down the common this morning, first time in a few years.

I’m afraid I won’t be able to come now since injuring my calf at St Albans midweek leaguer running is out for the time being. A shame, I was looking forward to it.

Yes count me in. txt me as to the start address pls

James

I forgot to add Sue to my initial post - she will be coming also

thanks!

James would it be okay if my husband Viv came along to. Feel free to say no if the numbers don't work for bird watching. We can always forgo the breakfast too.

Lindsey, Yes Viv will be most welcome.

All - parking info to be posted soon.

I’d like to come along too please πŸ˜€

James

Sorry, Sue and I are now unable to make it due to other plans. At least Astrid will not have to make as much bircher muesli!

Have a great run!

Hope it's not too late to sign up!

Yes please and thank you

PARKING INFO & FINAL INSTRUCTIONS

Thank you for signing up for the Bird Run this Saturday. You are all welcome. Final details:

- Meet at 0800. Jog / watch and listen for birds until around 9.15/30. Then back to Astrid and Steve's for refreshments.

- Bring binoculars if you have them, but not essential. We will be listening as much as looking.

- Meeting point is 3 Manley Highway Cottages, Pirton Road. This is on the north side of the B655 around 1 mile west of Hitchin and quarter of a mile east of the junction with Carters Lane.

- Parking is courtesy of the very helpful neighbours at the large detached house 50m east of the Cottages (and on same side of B655). Park on the large grass area right off the driveway.

Astrid - could you and Steve please put out some NHRR signage to the parking?

See you all on Saturday!

Count me in cheersπŸ•ŠπŸ¦…

right - the oven has been on for most of Friday, so lots of lovely goodies are waiting for you - if you have not signed up and decide short notice to come, please do, there is plenty!!

there will be an old 'caution runners' sign for you to find the car parking and Steve will be there to 'marshal'

we look forward to seeing you all

bring you NHRR mug if you have one

Thank you your hospitality and amazing food.

Thank you to everyone who turned out this morning - and especially to Astrid and Steve for their fantastic hospitality and food.

The birds weren't on great form this morning, but we saw Whitethroat, Swallows, House Martins, Red Kite, Blackcap and glimpsed a typically elusive Reed Warbler. Plus we heard Great Spotted Woodpecker and Garden Warbler. Also a fine display of Marsh Orchids. Not so bad after all!

Really lovely morning thankyou James and thankyou Astrid Steve for your hospitality and the lovely breakfast x

Thank you so much Steve and Astrid and James. I really enjoyed the event xxx

Thank you James for your excellent guidance once again, and thank you Astrid and Steve for your wonderful hospitality. A lovely morning and one of my favourite events of the year!

Thank you to James for being willing to share your expertise and Astrid and Steve for the delicious breakfast:)