Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1st midweek league - 10th May

Hello everybody. I've had the details through for the first midweek league race of the season.

Thursday 10th May. NB: there's an earlier start time for this race - 7:30pm prompt start. This race will be 6 miles.

Race HQ: Jubilee Retreat, Bury Road, E4 7QJ

Parking: Please park in car park on Bury Road (between clubhouse and Chingford).
Walk to start/clubhouse: 4 mins.

Please do not park or drop off at the clubhouse.

Course Markings: sawdust trail with marshals at junctions. Please keep to the left and obey the marshals’ instructions.

Facilities: Toilets, showers and changing for men and women at the clubhouse.

Water: at the finish

Food: will be available at the clubhouse.

It would be great to have as many people out running as possible to give us a strong start to our return to division 1. It's quite a drive to get there, so please post below if you need a lift or can offer space in a car. I imagine those who work in London might go straight to chingford and would then require a lift home.

I will keep bringing numbers to training sessions and will bring them to the race too.

Just a quick reminder of some of the league rules:

You must be a fully paid up member of NHRR to run in the MWL. Please see Phil to renew your membership if you haven't done so already.

You will need to run in a club vest. Please see Sue and Mark before the first race if you need to buy one.

The decision has been made to ban headphones in all MWL races - including bone conductor headphones. You will be disqualified if you are running with headphones.

You can only race for one club in the season (even if they're in different divisions). If you're planning to run for NHRR as a second claim runner, you need to let me know before the first race.

Please ask if you have any questions. Ellie

Re: 1st midweek league - 10th May

Can't wait - bring it on!

Operation Stay in Division One begins :muscle:

I :heart: the MWL - I will be driving from Hitchin and can take three passengers in reasonable comfort (four in unreasonable discomfort :laughing: ) Post on here or speak to me at training if you'd like a lift from Hitchin.

Thanks Ellie.

I see it says sawdust trail. Has anyone who has run this before got any idea of what shoes to wear? Would it make sense to wear off road shoes or stick to the road shoes?

Cheers

I have no idea what sawdust trail means!! If I remember correctly from last time, it started off on a track, and then the middle chuck was on road. I would say stick with road shoes.

Does anybody remember anything different?

I would like a lift please from Letchworth.
Thanks
Monica

David - as I remember it's a mixture of on and off-road, so some sort of hybrid trail shoes would probably be ok but you definitely don't need spikes or studs! If the weather has been dry beforehand then road shoes should be fine - I think that's what I've always worn for this one.

Linda what kind of course is this is it a bit flatter than today!!

I can join you for this one. I'll be driving there from Welwyn Garden City and then driving back to Letchworth.
I've never done this before so no idea what to expect! I'm quite nervous 😂. But excited.

Hayley - it is quite hilly in parts, with one particularly big hill as I recall, but of course that means some nice downhills as well! It is a very nice course through Epping Forest, but not the easiest one to be honest!

The second race, at St Albans, is pretty much flat - assuming they use the same course as we did last time.

I'm going to give it a go I'm only going to get quicker with practice

I think it was ok last time with just normal trainers but then last time it was boiling hot and had been for a while!

It's definitely one of the tougher MWL courses but a nice one. The St Albans course is much much flatter...

p.s. Linda, please could I get a lift? tx

Of course Lindsay - I can pick you up at the usual spot by the pub at the end of Bridge Street.

Anyone else want a lift from Hitchin? Room for two more ....

What time would you be leaving Linda? Not sure if I should go straight from work in london or not! If I do I may get a lift home if possible!

Thanks

David - I will have to leave Hitchin at about 5.30 or soon after. It's about an hour away, assuming the M25 behaves itself, and the race starts at 7.30 (the others will start at 7.45) so don't want to leave too late. You're probably better off going from London - there's always a crew coming from London on the train and lifts from the station are usually offered. I may be able to bring you back, depending on how many people I'm taking, but there will probably be others coming back who could drop you off.

Yes road shoes in my view.

Happy to give a lift - we have room for two.

Will leave from Hinxworth but can swing by Letchworth.

Exciting! Not sure it's a great idea 3 days before Greenway Half but in for a penny in for a pound as they say!

I will be driving there directly from work in Stevenage and can offer lifts to 3 people there and back to Letchworth area.

Andrew.

Hi Linda - do you still have a vacancy in your car for MWL? More than happy to drive over to yours. Will also contribute to petrol plus a contribution for taking me to cross country at Wootton when you wouldn't accept any money from me. Joy

Joy - I think I've got three passengers at the moment, but could squeeze another one in if necessary. I will liaise with Caroline though as she might be driving rather than wanting a lift - we can fit you in somewhere, don't worry! Will let you know what's happening.

I’m looking for a lift if anyone has a spare seat. I’m in Letchworth but can drive somewhere else if necessary. Or I’ll drive to Chingford and can give lift to max of four others.

I’ll be getting the train out of London. Could anyone bring me back to Letchworth after the race please?
Phil

Planning on going (pretty sure I should be able to make it). Would be going straight there from Cambridge but could give a couple of lifts on the way back.

Hi,
I was thinking, does anybody have the route on their Strava? I wouldn't mind having a look to prepare myself!
Thanks

I have a Strava record of this - we last ran it on May 26th 2016. You can see my snail like progress up the hills. It was very warm if I remember right

Oh thank you Brian, I will take a look!

Hi Lucy

I’m keen to go on Thursday I’m Fairfield Park but can meet you in Letchworth would love a lift if you’re still happy to drive!

Sam - I think I’ve sorted a lift but I’ve asked if they’ve got room for one more. We just have to get to Potters Bar on the train.

Btw Sam - I’m Fairfield Park too.

Lucy - that would be great if room for me, thx :slightly_smiling_face:

Anyone still have a spare seat from letchworth?

Ta
J

Finally decided to give MWL a go! Does anyone have room for a smallish one from Letchworth or I could travel to Hitchin too?
Helen

Hello everyone,
I can give a lift back to Letchworth, I've got three spaces. Or a lift there from Welwyn Garden City

Hi Niamh and Marcus,
Do you still have any spare seats available from Letchworth?
Helen

Leaving spirella at 5.45 and space for 2. Let me know if u want picking up from there?

Hi Paul,
Could I please take one of your spaces?
Helen

See u tomorrow at spirella.

Thanks Paul

Sam - I’ll be leaving from FFP to catch the 17:31 from Letchworth to Stevenage where our carriage awaits! I will park at the Spirella. Do you want a lift from FFP?.

Hi Paul
Can I bag the other spare place please?
Thanks
James

Lucy - great, yes please 😀 outside school if you pass that way - 5pm?

Yes 5pm - might be a tad after 5pm. I’m getting my ticket in advance. It’s all rather a rush as I have to get back from Cambridge.

Yes James u r the 4th person. See u at spirella

I'll be looking for a lift back to Letchworth please.

Have a great race tonight all of you flying Squirrels.

Unfortunately I can't make it tonight, but will be cheering you on from afar and keenly awaiting the results.

I can make the St Albans and Stevenage races. Also work permitting, I am hopeful of getting to the Trent Park one too.

Andy

I'm coming along but not running so can do finish line duty if required.