Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MK Marathon - Squirrels don’t melt in the heat

Lucy and Naomi ventured to the far off land of Milton Keynes on the hottest early May Bank Holiday EVER! Suncreamed from head to toe, with visors and sunglasses on the two intrepid squirrels began their marathon journey.

In 23 degree temperatures with the sun blazing they started their race. The support was astonishing, from the firemen with their hoses and locals with super soakers and sweets - without the hosing down and being shot at by locals young and old these squirrels definitely would have melted. The course was a variety of urban and countryside with lakes and canals that you really wanted to jump into. Things got even tougher from mile 15 as the temperatures soared to the high twenties. With more runners walking than running the valiant squirrels scurried on the best they could. Wet from the super soakers (well clearly it wasn’t sweat as women only sparkle) helped keep the squirrel’s temperatures stable. Seeing the stadium with 2 miles to go really helped boost the final push, and the victory lap around the stadium to thunderous cheering and applause spurred both squirrels on to overtake in the final few hundred meters.

Naomi P finished in 4:30:39
Lucy H finished in 4:54:01

Medals and goody bags were presented at the top of a very cruel and steep flight of stairs, with most runners struggling to walk in a straight line there was a lot of zigzagging up! Every mile and bead of sweat (I mean sparkle) was worth the glittery cow medal and matching t-shirt.

Re: MK Marathon - Squirrels don’t melt in the heat

That's brilliant you two, have been thinking of you running in the heat all day glad to know squirrels don't melt!

well done ladies a great effort in this weather.

Fantastic! Really well done to both of you! Best of all it sounds like you enjoyed it! My memories of Milton Keynes also involve water but that day it was coming from the sky and was freezing cold. Believe me, you had the better day!

Well done Lucy and Naomi - it was tough out there. We were pleased to be able to give you some support. We being the Chafing the Dream MK Marathon Relay team of: Jim & Meissa Marvell, Helen Govey and Brian Bailey who finished in 4:54:10. It was Jim's first run back after a serious knee injury and Melissa's first ever 10K race - not an ideal day for them - but they both did really well.

That's fantastic you two! Well done in such conditions too! And great result from the relay team too :)

Well done everyone. We were melting in our garden so cannot imagine the effort needed to run in that heat. Congratulations on finishing, awesome!

I was also ran the marathon, although I do say rather loosely ‘ran’. Managed about 17 miles before I started to jog/walk to the finish; very pleased to cross the line in very unforgiving heat an hour after Lucy & Naomi 5.53.45

Well done everyone, really tough conditions for it

Respect to you all!! I an dreading Edinburgh being as hot!!

Congratulations to you all - great running on the hottest day! Like Jo I also did the first Milton Keynes marathon in the pouring of rain. I have memories of having finished queuing up outside in the rain to collect our bags and then finding some space inside a crowded building to change into dry clothes! Sounds like they’ve made some improvements for the better - even the weather! 🙂

Great running Lucy and Naomi. Well done to both of you and fantastic times.