Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Press report for week ending Sunday 16 September

please post your results below - thanks

Re: Press report for week ending Sunday 16 September

and any photos please email to Sullivan_babs@hotmail.com

Richmond Running Fest - Kew Gardens 10k

I did the above run yesterday morning in Kew Gardens in a time of 1:38:25.

What a beautiful venue. The beauty of ghe place did distract me a bit. The whole of the run was within Kew Gardens. I didn’t realise how big it is.

Roll on next year
Monica

3:08:04, 17th place for me at the Richmond Runfest Marathon today. While slower than my target going into the race, that's still a PB of 36mins30s over my first marathon in August last year.

It's a mixed terrain course, starting in Kew Gardens and then out and back along the Thames to Hampton Court before finishing up in Old Deer Park. The course was nice, however because of the size of the field I ended up running solo for the large majority of the race.

David Weston also ran his first marathon there today, but I will leave it to him to post his great result :grinning:

This is also sadly my last race as a squirrel, following my move to Edinburgh. Once again, it has been a pleasure training and racing with all of you.

Matt

I took on the Harvest Trail Half Marathon on Sunday morning at Royston Heath put on by Royston Runners. It was a fantastic course of hilly, picturesque trails across the Hertfordshire countryside. Not sure on official time, but my watch said 2.09.39. No PB, but pleased with that considering the tough terrain.

There were a good few other squirrels there who entered the Quater Marathon – I’ve got a nice group shot of us all which I will email over.

I ran the Ponton Plod today, 28.4 miles starting and finishing in Great Ponton, Grantham. There was the usual route description on an undulating off road course run mainly over farmland and grassy trails with plenty of stiles to climb over and barbed wire to avoid on some of the narrow overgrown tracks. A lovely event costing only £13 to enter and plenty of food and drink on offer at the end. I finished in 6.08. 😀

Hi, I also ran the Royston Harvest Trail Quarter Marathon this morning. Windy on the way out and downhill on the way back with a steep tree covered climb into Therfield at half way. Accidentally added a mile when a group of us took a wrong turn and ran the perimeter of a lovely field. Finished in 1hr1min and tucked into an Eccles cake.

Ran my first marathon at Richmond today. Finished 205th and 35th in age category in a time of 3:46. I am happy with the time and completing the course without stopping!

I didn’t really know what to expect but I knew Phil Hunt had often commented on how beautiful a race it was and he wasn’t wrong. I was a bit nervous on the start line as my training had only consisted of commuting to and from work, a few NHRR races and only 4 long runs (and a curry), as well as sleeping on the floor of my workplace the night before....but it was obviously enough to get me round.

The start is two laps of Kew Gardens which is beautiful and a great way to start....then you head out on to the path all along the river all the way to Hampton Court Palace (cue bewildered tourists) and then back. As with Matt Davies I ended up a bit isolated - running between the 3:30s and the 4:00s. This took a lot of mental resilience but it was great to see Matt wearing the vest with pride on his last outing for the squirrels. The terrain was pretty mixed and hard under the feet with a few demoralising loops but all in all an excellent race.

I never want to drink Lucozade or have another gel again. Ever.

Also managed to raise just shy of £1000 for the Royal Brompton Hospital after both my parents had complicated surgery there this summer. This certainly helped me round as I did begin to question what on earth I was doing at 30k but I guess that is most people’s experience. I have hard that most people say never again after a marathon but I don’t fall into that camp. More of a never again in the next few months.

Thanks to everyone at the club for ongoing support.

A few of us did the Harvest Trail quarter marathon at Royston Heath today. Jillian Boyes did the half and has already posted. I have sent a couple of photos. Runners were: Lucy O’Connor, Andrew Porter, Russ Hagen, Allison Blunt, Gladys Cheng, Helen Cromack, Anna Greetham, Jane Tyler, Brian Judkins and Sheila Leavy. All started well but ended quite dramatically. I took a wrong turn and ended up running 7.1 miles and on finishing we heard that Sheila had had a nasty fall and Anna and Helen were with her, waiting for the paramedic to arrive. It proved quite difficult to locate exactly where they were located. We made our way back to find Sheila who had Royston Runners marshals with her by now and the paramedic by the time we got there. The ambulance couldn’t get close so a four-wheel drive ambulance was sent to take her to the ambulance waiting on the A10. Sheila was being brilliant despite being in obvious pain, even insisting we had a photo taken! As a result of staying with Sheila Anna and Helen didn’t complete their runs. I don’t think any of us got PBs on such an undulating terrain but it was a very enjoyable course and Sheila had been enjoying it up until she took a tumble.

Hope you are ok Sheila xxx

Sorry to hear about Sheila's fall - hope she is ok xx

17 runners successfully completed the Round Norfolk Relay this weekend - this involved passing a baton round the boundary of Norfolk covering 198 miles in total over 17 unequal legs. Starting at 7.00 on saturday morning, the team finished in a time of 26 hours 22 minutes. Supported by a crew of 15 people, including drivers, cyclists, timekeepers and supporters the team finished under their predicted time. A fantastic achievement and one of the hardest events the club enters, a great accomplishment!