Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Swim Serpentine

This year I have been trying out some swimming and cycling as well as a bit of running. While doing this I have discovered I quite like swimming. I started lessons about 18 months ago barely being able to swim a length of front crawl and today I swam the 2 mile swim serpentine event in London's Hyde Park.

I really loved the event, the water temp was around 17 which (with a wetsuit) didn't feel too cold. I finished the 2 lap event in around 1hr 19 which I was very pleased with. It was very well organised and I very much enjoyed the hot tubs and heated gazebos at the end.

This was also my final qualifying event to gain entry into the London Classics hall of fame (and to get a large, weighty medal). I did the Prudential Ride London 100 in July and I have done 5 (I think) London Marathons, most recently in 2015.

So which was hardest? I think, for me, it is probably running the marathon...

Re: Swim Serpentine

Well done to you, that is a great achievement. We were sitting on the banks of the serpentine watching the swimmers as we drank coffee! What colour hat? X

Well done Lyndsay.

had no idea you were there Jo H, I was orange hat at 1045...would have been a hard spectating event though, everyone looked the same!

Fantastic Lindsey. Can I ask where you had swimming lessons? My swimming is terrible (just enough to survive )and I'd love to improve it.

I did the adult improver lessons at hitchin pool

Same here, Alan - I do like swimming and swim regularly, but I'm an awful swimmer and really slow! Maybe we should see if we can get a club discount on lessons - anyone else need to improve their swimming? :laughing:

You could also do a private lesson and share the cost...

Fantastic Lindsay - really well done! London Classics Hall of Fame is brilliant - and another of those targets (like 100 club) that anyone can aspire to - you don't have to be brilliant, you just have to do it! I tried swimming, and had lessons determined to master front crawl, but eventually accepted that it was not going to happen.