Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ron Jennings

Dear All,

It is with sadness that I report on the death of Ron Jennings. Ron was a member of North Herts Road Runners for many years, playing a full role in everything we did. For years he was ever present at races and social events. After he left the club, due to ill health, he always asked after the club and members he knew.

In recent years he turned out every year to watch Standalone go by on Wilbury Road and was proud to wear one of our marshal bibs at this years event.

I will post on here the date of his funeral.

Richard

Re: Ron Jennings

Hi Richard

I received an e-mail from John Atkinson regarding Ron and was about to put a note on the Forum until I read yours. John did say the funeral could be in about 2 - 3 weeks.
Ian

Thanks Richard for letting us know, such sad news.

That is sad news. I remember lots of entertaining runs with Ron. He knew so much about the history of Letchworth and it was always a pleasure to be in his company. I learned a lot from him.

I am sad to hear that - I didn't know Ron personally, but I have heard so much about him over the years, he was obviously a bit of a legend.

When I first joined the club I would often go on a 'Ron Run'. He would claim that we would run about 5 or 6 miles and we would end up running 7 or 8! He was full of energy and took us on the most entertaining runs around Letchworth. The end of an era - he would often run with Mel Davey who passed a few years ago now, and I was always envious of their ability to run and chat! Sad news x

Sad news . Was a club record holder for many a year and we had many a long chat . Have lots of ROn tales . The London marathon coach trip back when someone wanted a call of nature so we stopped at south mimms service station . Then all got on the coach and drove of and got near Hatfield and a voice said we left Ron at the service station . So we turned around and went back to pick him up.
Will be sadly missed
RIP Ron

heard the sad news this morning lovely man he khew so much about letchworth

and the area around rip ron

Ron was also famous for his 'Ron's Rambles' of which my parents were huge fans. His knowledge of Hertfordshire and beyond was unbelievable and the effort, energy and detail he put into organising his walks was inspirational and much appreciated by his loyal following. He will be sadly missed in many walks (no pun intended) of life.

He had lovely handwriting too...he used to hand write his reports for the newsletter...and we all loved the boundary run which, I think, he organised (long time ago now)

Ron was also involved in the boundary walk and found about the trophy awarded for the boundary run . First one the club organised was from the w.I building near Baldock service station . He wrote the instructions for all runners to follow and described in great detail. So Ron legacy is the boundary run .
If you wanted to know anything about Letchworth you asked Ron .
Ron a nhrr legend and have joined other great nhrr running in the sky.

very sad news, i also remember the Ron Ramblers and was chatting to him at Standalone. In the last few years, I bumped into him quite regularly on my runs through Oughtonhead Reserve, as he was one of the friends of Outhonhead looking after the reserve. He loved being outdoors, no matter what.

Sad news indeed. I ran with Ron on numerous Club evenings. A Ron Run would take us down footpaths in Letchworth we'd never seen, while being told what the factory that was there in war-time made. Round the Bounds was an event he 'championed' and we did some parts of it this year during our Yellow Group Summer Runs. He could also eat cake for England - so finishing before him if you could was advisable. It was really great to see him still being involved/around some of our events in the last few years - he will be missed.

Dear All,

Ron's funeral will be at St Georges, Norton Way, Letchworth on 16th November at 10am. All NHRR are welcome.
We are also all invited to the wake at 3 Norton Road after Ron is buried at Icknield Way cemetery, Letchworth.

I will find out what the dress code is as we have often worn NHRR gear in the past. I will let you know.

Richard

Hi Richard
Have you heard anything about the dress code for Ron's funeral, probably won't be warm enough for t shirt and shorts!