Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
We got overtaken going uphill by a guy wearing a pumpkin on his head (no, really)!!!

but we managed to over take him on the downhill!!!

Miranda, Sue, Andy, Paul and I headed over to Snowdonia for the Marathon Eryri. Its a tough event at the best of times but today threw in some bitter winds, hailstorms and bright (but cold) sunshine.

Also thrown in was an incident at 0.7 miles when Helen from Leighton Fun Runners fell forward running downhill (we have warned Paul that he needs to change his chat up lines :joy: ). We thought she was just in shock until an investigation of her knee revelled not only a large cut across the joint but also her knee cap :scream: Paul looked after Helen whilst Andy redirected the other runners and I ran back up the hill to find a race vehicle for help. They very quickly assisted Helen whilst we kept on running (update: She had an eventful trip to A&E which involved the orthopedic surgeon routing around inside the knee to check the tendons etc before stitching her up (she lost count after 10 stitches)).

Paul and I chatted until he decided to have a walk up the evil hill to Pen y Pass although he and Andy soon caught up with me on the uphill. We stuck together until the road into Bedgellert. Which was to Paul's benefit as I had a pre-arranged chocolate ice cream stop in Bedgellert (there is an awesome ice cream shop there and I discovered later in the race I became infamous for my ice cream running :smile: )

Andy and I stuck together until mile 15 then I headed off ahead. Having spent our time together taking photos of the amazing scenery (tourists!!!).

My favourite part of the event is the run back into Lllanberis after the final hill. It is 2 miles of beautiful downhill all the way to the finish line. I could do the run down time and time again (if someone gives me a lift up :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I think we were all happy with our finish (I got an event pb by just under 3 minutes) for the others it was the first time doing the event.

Sue Foot - 4.44.58
Paul Bowal - 5.03.39 (Loved it so much he will be back!)
Miranda Morgan - 5.13.43
Michelle Grudzinski - 5.13.59
Andy Grudzinski - 5.33.40

Re: We got overtaken going uphill by a guy wearing a pumpkin on his head (no, really)!!!

Oooh, well done Sue. First v65

Re: We got overtaken going uphill by a guy wearing a pumpkin on his head (no, really)!!!

a fantastic marathon with the most water stations I have ever come across on any marathon, lots of support all the way round, and my highlight was having a lovely cup of hot tea at the top of the last hill before descending into the finish - Michelle, i was just pleased to get to the bottom of those last two miles without slipping or falling head over heels! I think I preferred the up! 😊

Fantastic all of you - I'd love to do this one but Saturdays are not good for me at his time of year... Helen's knee sounds horribly familiar... Pretty good times there considering the delays!

Sue, you are crazy!

Just watching us on BBC iPlayer. NHRR are well represented at 20.08 looking after Helen!

That was as good as the Loch Ness marathon, these are the 2 I will do again.

I had been worried all week with my lack of running recently, knowing it was a tough one and the very cold weather expected.
but I did it, we ran together at the start and that's when Helen fell and we helped, it was on the highlights on tv.
I think I ran it quite well, caught up with Miranda, not a happy bean at that point so we ran together then I ran off, sorry.
Loved the very quick cup of tea at the top of that last mountain. finished and straight to the pub to celebrate, never go there with a big group!
When it got dark, off for a curry and more beer at Andy and Michelle's cottage, bed by 11pm, knackered and drunk.

Strangely I had no pains or lactic acid problems at the finish of the race, very well hydrated all the way, I love colder races.

Forgot to say,
that was the 2nd lady in 3 weeks who has fallen over when running with me, are they trying to avoid me?
Jo midway through a sentence. What was the punch line?
Helen was not even talking!