Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What do you think about while running?

This morning while out doing a very slow 8 mile run I was really struggling as I've not run properly for a few weeks (due to man flu) Anyway my brain was just basically trying to tell me that everything hurts and your not enjoying this at all and lots of negative thoughts so it got me wondering what we as runners should be thinking about while out on those long lonely runs, I know it probably should be about running form and how we're planting our feet but I have the concentration of a forgetful goldfish so the chances of that happening for an hour plus are nil.
So lets have your thoughts on what the experts say we should be thinking about and more fun what do you all think about while your out pounding those miles? (you can do it anonymously if you shouldn't be having those sorts of thoughts :joy: )

Re: What do you think about while running?

Running is my favourite thinking time! I love running by myself for that reason.

I think a little bit about pave and form and I long runs I start calculating the pace for doing races at different times but most of the time is taken up by random thpughts. From what im going to wear tgat evening to what to cook at the dinner party, what that idiot told me at work and made me angry and how I should have replied, to how I miss some people back home or some people who are no longer with us, or how running makes me fight any sad thoughts. Some days I've cried while running, some days I've even had inappropriate thoughts (!!!). Other times I relive races that I've really liked. Seriously, my time running alone is precious and apart from form and performance I just let my mind go wild!

Reposting without mistakes as I can't delete the previous post, apologies for my fat fingers trying to type on the phone:

Running is my favourite thinking time! I love running by myself for that reason.

I think a little bit about my pace and form and in long runs I start calculating the pace needed for doing races at different times but most of the time is taken up by random thoughts. From what I'm going to wear that evening to what to cook at the dinner party, what that idiot told me at work and made me angry and how I should have replied, to how I miss some people back home or some people who are no longer with us, or how running makes me fight any sad thoughts. Some days I've cried while running, some days I've even had inappropriate thoughts (!!!). Other times I relive races that I've really liked. Seriously, my time running alone is precious and apart from form and performance I just let my mind go wild!

I think about where I am going...and then about all sorts of things I don't get the time to think about during the day...all my best thoughts are when I am running and I offer return home with lots of plans to sort things out!

The only thing I think of when I am on a long run is where I am going and what's going on around me! Thinking too much about what is going on in your life just clogs up your mind and saps your energy. Find new routes to run and hills to climb and enjoy the scenery. Clear your head and see how far you can go without thinking about anything other than where you are going, and of course now and again stop to enjoy the view at the top of that hill you just climbed! :wink:

Sue, in long runs this happens too but it's very therapeutic to have the time alone, uninterrupted and be able to think!

It depends on the run:

1) if it's rainy/snowy/windy/hot-as-hell: Why didn't I stay home?
2) if it's freezing: keep on breathing, that's the trick!
3) if it's interval training: ok, one down, 5 more to go!
3) else (very rare occasions...): silly baby rhyme time song my kids play all day long

Although, intermingled with the above, some key decisions were made up while doing some running :)

Niccolo, I spent a lot of my run the other day humming "Baby shark..." Aaaagh!

Food, mostly :wink:

When all else fails I reach for a good comedy podcast (eg until recently Bob Mortimer's Atletico Mince) or if really desperate a 'running music mix' on the headphones, ideally supporting a nice cadence and the louder the better! (I know, I know, only when off road :fearful: )

I go out planning to think about work and come up with a solution to whatever I am struggling with but it ends up more like -

What a lovely view! Don't like the look of that black cloud. Where's the path - bloody farmers! How have I managed to run uphill for xx miles and still finish where I started? What a lovely dog/horse/deer/sheep/alpaca. How do I get round those cows? Why is it always a head wind? Why don't cyclists ever speak? Why don't drivers ever wave? What a lovely hot sunny day/I hate the cold I hate the cold I hate the cold. Hills rarely go on for more than a mile. Listen to the birdies! Wow look at those daffodils/bluebells/snowdrops!

But most of all -

I wonder where that path goes...

Lindsay
Niccolo, I spent a lot of my run the other day humming "Baby shark..." Aaaagh!
Now I am humming baby shark! 🤦🏻‍♀️

Today when running I thought about what I thought about when I was running...

What a great question! I think about all sorts of things - it's my head space from work. I think about running and routes and how much longer I have to go, but I also plan things and write music in my head and think about what my next venture will be. When I was younger all my big decisions were taken whilst drinking in the Queen's Head in Aylesbury... now they are taken while I am running!

Jo Summers
I go out planning to think about work and come up with a solution to whatever I am struggling with but it ends up more like -

What a lovely view! Don't like the look of that black cloud. Where's the path - bloody farmers! How have I managed to run uphill for xx miles and still finish where I started? What a lovely dog/horse/deer/sheep/alpaca. How do I get round those cows? Why is it always a head wind? Why don't cyclists ever speak? Why don't drivers ever wave? What a lovely hot sunny day/I hate the cold I hate the cold I hate the cold. Hills rarely go on for more than a mile. Listen to the birdies! Wow look at those daffodils/bluebells/snowdrops!

But most of all -

I wonder where that path goes...
Also what Jo said!

Sorry Lindsey :laughing:

I generally have music in my head... either songs that I sing with my 2 year old at Jo Jingles or my 7 year old's latest recorder piece...

When I use to run . Lots of strange thoughts went through my mind . They still do so cannot blame running for that lol.
Better not put some of my running thoughts on here just in case the wife reads it and kills me lol

Back to the head emptying benefits and quoting probably the most inspirational person I will ever have the privilege of running with - 'When I run I don't have cancer, I'm just another runner. From when they say 'go' until I get back again I'm just like everyone else'.