Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Probably dumbest question ever!

How do you get back at it when you have lost your mojo and tired after a stupid 14 hour days at work

Re: Probably dumbest question ever!

Depends on what motivates you. I get my trainers on and always head for the Greenway as lovely views and nature always inspires me and gives me space to enjoy my running. Others come to the club as running with others is motivational. However, 14 hour days are tough and you may just need to rest and post on forum if you would like company on your day off. There are plenty of times when I do not feel up to going out currently but when I drag myself out of the door I always feel better:) Your mojo will return!

I had a long day today and forced myself to pop out for a mile at about 8:30. I saw the most amazing sunset...it's that kind of thing which works for me.

If you're working day is that long or you know it's going to be one, I'd have a word with your line manager/supervisor about getting out at lunchtime to get a decent run in, even if it means going slightly over an hour. Would make you more productive afterwards and not sure they could complain if they forcing you to work late after. It's not ideal having to run so late in an evening and then having to eat dinner shortly before bedtime, not allowing sufficient time to digest.

you will always feel better after a run than you did before the run (unless you injure yourself, of course!). Just tell yourself you will just do a single mile and see how it feels - more often than not you will feel OK and go on to complete your run.

Most nights I get home from work and feel like just going straight to bed, but 11 miles around the greenway, sometimes in the dark / cold / wet, I feel a whole lot better.

Best thing is not to think about going for a run - just do it out of habit. The hardest thing about running is getting out the front door! I have managed to get half way round a run before my body has realised what it's doing!

And, similar to you, I work 12 hour days, with an hour's drive at each end, so it can be done...

Not a dumb question at all! I haven’t been running long enough to offer great advice like the others, but I would say plan a run with a friend *hint, hint* . When we’re out in the sunshine, catching up on the gossip and enjoying the views, you’ll find it again. Remember the first time we found the Radwell sculptures 😊

You remember when you couldn’t, and that now you can, and there will be times in future when you won’t be able to ... and you jfdi!

Oh... and definitely not a dumb question.

also, it is ok just to run a mile...has taken me ages to give myself permission to do that!

Whilst agreeing completely with all the above - especially the comments about just going for a very short run and seeing how it feels - if you are really tired and really don't feel like it then have a day off, go to bed early and don't beat yourself up about it. My marker for really not wanting to run is seeing someone else running as I drive home and instead of it making me feel like running it makes me feel even more exhausted. Another one is getting home and sitting down to take my boots off and finding myself in exactly the same position 30 minutes later having not even managed to remove my boots yet - and sometimes it's not just my boots, it's my hat, coat, scarf and gloves as well. On those days forcing myself out to run won't make me feel better but a couple of days off and I'll be fine again!

Remember - it is meant to be fun not a chore!