Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1st Midweek League Race - St Albans - Thursday23rd May

St Albans Striders have sent us the information for their race next week. It would be lovely to have a strong turnout for the first race of the season. Please post below if you need a lift or can offer a lift.

St Albans Striders

Midweek Road Race League 2019

Division 1, Race 1

Thursday 23th May 7:45pm – Highfield Park, St Albans

St Albans Striders are pleased to welcome you all to Division 1 fixture 1.

Highfield Park,
Highfield Lane
St Albans, AL4 0RH

Distance:10 km

Changing: Changing and showers provided at the pavilion. Refreshments provided in adjacent Marquee. There is limited space in the changing room for kit to be left, but it will be unsecured.

Parking/travel:
In the field adjacent to Highfield Lane. Please lift share to reduce carbon footprint for this event. The rideconnect.com app is free to use and makes organizing lift shares much easier.

Course: The course takes in a loop of the park and then cycle track and minor roads east of St Albans. There will be marshals on junctions and km markers. Please follow marshal’s instructions.

Water: There will be water at 6 km and at the finish. We want to reduce the amount of single-use cups that we use so please only take water if you need it. Please bring your own water bottles for after the race – there will be a ‘water parking’ table for you to leave your bottle (name it if you remember!).

Directions: From the north take Hatfield Road (A1057) towards St Albans. Turn left onto Hill End Lane and at sixth roundabout take a left on to Highfield Lane. The entrance to field parking is on the left after 200 metres.

From the south take London Road (A1081) towards St Albans. Turn right onto Highfield Park Drive. At a left bend this road becomes Highfield Lane. The entrance to field parking is on the right after 200 metres.

Re: 1st Midweek League Race - St Albans - Thursday23rd May

Looking forward to it! I won't be running this one, and I'm happy to take numbers at the end. I will be driving there and can fit 3 passengers in my car, going from Hitchin - post if you want a lift.

Hi there,

I'm new to the club but am interested. Not sure how it works or if I qualify to run? could someone post or message me with more info?

Thanks

Hi Brett

take a look on the website to find out more info on how mwl works

http://www.nhrr.org.uk/midweek-league.html

Hi Brett, anybody who is a fully paid up member of the club is qualified to run! I'll be at training this week handing out race numbers, so come and collect yours and I can hopefully answer any questions. Ellie

Thanks Ellie, I’m planning to be at the club on Thurs night.

You’ll also need to get yourself a club vest. See the kit section on the website :)

Already got one =) thanks

Do I need to register to race, and if so with whom?

Timehin - if you are a paid up member you can run - you just need to pick up a race number from Ellie Scott, the MWL rep, and make sure you have a club vest to race in as that is obligatory (email the kit reps - details on the website.) You keep the same number for all the races in the series, so don't throw it away! Then just come along to as many of the fixtures as you can - details of venues etc. will be posted on the forum/website before each race, and people often post offering/requesting lifts.

Linda
Looking forward to it! I won\'t be running this one, and I\'m happy to take numbers at the end. I will be driving there and can fit 3 passengers in my car, going from Hitchin - post if you want a lift.
Please could I come with you Linda? Will return. The favour at one of the other races...

Sure Lindsay - will liaise re pickup ....

Hi Linda.

If you still have space left in your car for me?

Kind regards

Rachel

Hi Rachel - I have room for you and one more if anyone else still needs a lift, going from Hitchin but could pick up at Spirella if necessary.

Hi Linda.

If you can possibly pick me up from Spirella that would be great?

Thank you!

I was soooo excited about the MWL but now I don't know if I will be able to run. I woke up with an ache down my outer calf near the ankle...fingers crossed it is nothing!
Good luck to everyone if I don't make it.

Rachel - can I pick you up at 6.15pm tomorrow for the MWL race in St Albans? Somewhere near the first Fairfield roundabout would be good. I'm picking someone else up in Hitchin on the way, so that will give us plenty of time. My mobile no. in case you need to contact me is 07860889482.
Linda

Will there be numbers available to use at St Albans?
I will hopefully be able to get there to race.

I'll be in Hatfield before the race, so if any of the London based folks want a lift from Hatfield station I can be there from 6.30..

Legs still soring a bit from Sunday's 10k, yet here we are...ready to collect my number tonight and hit the roads :)

Any further details of what to expect from the course i.e. undulating / hilly race advice? I've never run before so any details would be useful to give NHRR the advantage =P

Hi Brent, it's flat, on cycle paths and a bit of road and a lap or two around the grass. It's the easiest of the MWL routes and most of us got PBs there last year.

Ok, I have decided to come along and race even if I don't run fast. My foot is much better and I'll give it a go. Numbers count for MWL, right??

I'll be working in Welwyn Garden City and I'll make my way at around 6:30-6:45 if anyone wants a lift.

Brent
Any further details of what to expect from the course i.e. undulating / hilly race advice? I've never run before so any details would be useful to give NHRR the advantage =P
there's cake at the end!

Hello,

also, I remember last year my GPS could not find the exact place. Today, I tried google maps and still it wasn't pointing me to the exact place so to avoid getting lost, I have pinpointed the exact place where the turn is from Highfield Lane to the gravel road that takes you to the car park.

If you are having the same problem, this might help. I got the info from my Strava MWL race last year.

If you put 5 Highfield Ln, Tyttenhanger, St Albans AL4 0RE, it is the turning just next to that house

https://www.google.com/maps/place/5+Highfield+Ln,+Tyttenhanger,+St+Albans+AL4+0RE/@51.742462,-0.3014179,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x48763e971f307d47:0xa9d70a0253bb440c!8m2!3d51.742462!4d-0.2992292

Also, if you want to check the route, here's my strava run from last year:
https://www.strava.com/activities/1593751543

I was to be coming up from London but now will be heading down from Letchworth. If anyone else needs a lift from Letchworth or nearby please let me know.

Phil

Hi Phil, I posted that I would drive on the other 'thread' but no takers. If you are OK to drive please can I have a lift, from Spirella, 6:30 'ish ? - can make any time. Thanks

Sure thing. See you at spirilla. Will be with Lucy too.