Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Three Counties XC league. Event 1/5. Wellingbrough. 3rd Nov

Its race week! :raised_hands: The first cross country race is next Sunday! :grinning:

Hope everybody has their shoes nice and clean?

The course is suitable for trail, studs and spikes. :footprints:

There is a brook/stream crossing involved. You cross this twice. The crossing is actually not too bad now as they have changed the banks. The rest of it is on grass and has no big long hills in it, instead it has lots of little hills in it.

Lets keep the spirit going from the Mid week league and head into the Cross country in force.

If you don't want to run, then you can come and cheer too. :speaking_head_in_silhouette: This is a good one for spectators as the course winds around quite a bit, so runners are never far away. You can move a little bit and see them pop up again. There is also the fun of the crossing. We always need cheers there!

This is my favourite course, I'm very much looking forward to it. My bag is packed already.

If anybody has any questions - then please feel free to ask me or your coach.

I'll be at the club again Tuesday/Thursday with the numbers. I will have them at First Saturday of the Month too. I will bring them to the race too, but if you need to collect it race day, please do so early as I need to prepare to race too. If you give me a heads up that your travelling and need to collect it and I can get it ready. Remember if you collect your number BEFORE next Sunday, then you will be entered into the REGO raffle.

Thanks very much to Linda, who has offered to help with scoring. Ideally we'd like two people on this - one to write and another to get names and tokens - so if you can help Linda, please let me know. :writing_hand:

Post below to organise car shares. :car:

Please see details below of the event...

#BELIEVE
#DFYM
#MudSweatTears
#BringYourCowBells
#CherryJuiceRecovery :cherries:
#TeamNHRR
#EveryoneMatters - Thats all that matters

Host Club

• Wellingborough & District A.C.

Date / Time
  • Sunday 3rd November 2019, 10:30 a.m.

• Croyland Park, Kingsway, Wellingborough

• Postcode For race HQ: NN8 2JJ Map in new window

• Postcode for Croyland Park (start/finish): NN8 2EN

Runners Notes

• The Race HQ is at Wrenn School, Doddington Road, Wellingborough, NN8 2JJ. Please note the change of HQ.

• Refreshments available after the race in the HQ.

• Parking is limited at the Race HQ so please be aware of alternative parking. We recommend the residential streets off Croyland Road or Kingsway or the Swanspool Centre (free multi storey)

• A limited amount of disabled parking is available near to the start/finish in the public car park on Kingsway, Wellingborough

• The race start is a 15 minute walk on pavement from the HQ so allow plenty of time to reach the start. To get to the start/finish, come out of the School, turn left and walk to the corner of the junction. Turn left and follow the road (Croyland Road) down the hill to reach the park. Turn left into the park and walk through the park to reach the HQ. There will be marshals on hand to direct you

• There are limited toilets in the HQ. There will be portaloos at the start of the race.

• No dirty footwear at any time allowed inside the HQ

• There are no changing facilities inside the HQ however the changing facilities and toilets in Croyland Park will be open. These are about 2 minutes from the race start.

• W&DAC gazebo will be up at the race start (weather permitting) as an unofficial bag store. Any baggage left here is left entirely at the owners risk and W&DAC accept no responsibility in respect of the same.

Course

• The start & finish are 15 min walk from the HQ.

• The first lap is here

• The second lap is here

• The total course is 8.32km (5.17 miles) - Spikes are recommended although please note the walk on pavement to reach the start/finish

Important Updates

• Any last minute information will be posted on Twitter or on Facebook

• All event details may be subject to change right up to the start of the event. Please check the website and league Facebook page for updates ahead of the event and listen carefully to marshals and the race briefing on the day

Re: Three Counties XC league. Event 1/5. Wellingbrough. 3rd Nov

Can't wait John!

As I mentioned, I've packed my bag this afternoon... :grinning: I thought I’d share some of my preparations for Cross Country, in case it helps anybody…

I pin my number to my NHRR vest before. This then goes in the bag - at the top - so can easily be seen. To double check I have it. I don’t wear this until I get to the event as the number gets in the way when your sat in the car. Pinning the number to the vest means that both are together so hopefully won't forget one of them.

I have my NHRR rain jacket to wear from the HQ to the start of the race. This goes in the bag too as I don't wear it until I am ready to go warm up. I then place this near the finish before the race. In the pockets I have a plastic carrier bag, gloves and a NHRR buff. I also have some thermal socks. These are mostly for afterwards...

The gloves I might wear in the warm up - otherwise everything is for after the race. I always run in vest and shorts, so I need something to put on afterwards. I put the coat, gloves and buff on after the race. I'd advise that you have some kit for afterwards as you'll cool down very fast after stopping.

You won’t be allowed to wear muddy shoes back into HQ, they may also ask you to leave the shoes outside. What I do is take my shoes/socks off and put them into the carrier bag from my coat pocket - they will let you in the HQ like this. I take my race socks off too, as they will be wet and muddy. I then put the thermal socks on, for the otherwise barefoot walk to find my kit bag at HQ.

Additionally I may wear tights to the start line as you can warm up in these - they are also useful for afterwards too. Although they can’t easily go into the coat pockets. I normally just tie these too the coat, so they are one with each other.

In my kit bag, I have a long sleeve thick base layer. I find this is the best thing to put on afterwards, after taking my vest off. I then put my NHRR t-shirt back on and then a NHRR jumper, NHRR coat and NHRR hat

Other things in my bag are a spike key, change of spikes, gels, recovery drink (REGO) and carrier bags for race kit...

Even if I don't intend to wear spikes, I bring my key incase somebody else needs to borrow it.

There is food available afterwards - I normally can't eat straight afterwards, but I always take some as on the way home - I will start to need something. So I have it later, sometimes even when I'm home.

Hope this helps.

Hi John

I have spikes but need the spikes to go in them lol what size do I need and where is easier to buy from please I have some great camo shorts and really looking forward to the first XC

I get my spikes from Amazon. I get these.

You can also get the same ones in TriSports.

Regarding the size, this can differ from course to course and how much it has rained.

I normally have a few sizes. Anywhere from 9mm to 15mm.

If its really muddy, like parliament hill muddy - you need 15mm. I'd advise getting some 15mms as they do wear down quickly and become 12's after a while.

If the ground is harder, then 9mm will be better. 12mm inbetween the two.

I'd probably advise getting some 9mm and also some 12mm.

Putting the 12's in the night before, but be prepared to change into 9mm at race HQ. Wellingborough is unlikely to require 15mm.

I'd also recommend a short run in them before the race as spikes are a little different to other shoes. You obviously have to land on the toes more in order to get the benefit of the spikes.

How about trying out the 12mm, say the day before on some grass. And then seeing how they feel. Spikes are not appropriate for the FSOTM, but you could bring them and do a little run on the grass afterwards maybe?

Hope this helps.

It may also be worth investing in a pair of studded shoes (studs as we call them).

These can be used for harder ground where spikes would not be comfortable, and a lot of people wear these for all courses (except a really muddy Parliament Hill)

Inov8 make a wide range of studs to suit every budget / style of runner. Mudclaws or X-Talons are popular with many.

For value for money, More Mile also do studs. The Cheviot model seems popular

All can be purchased online.

Not sure about camo shorts.....we will not be able to see you in the undergrowth!! (and black shorts should be worn really....)

Always wear colour no black in this girls wardrobe now don't worry you will see me lol I will invest in the spikes may go to tri sports John thank you for the advice and new to running in them so I'll definitely try them out

Aren’t we asked to wear black bottoms with our nhrr vests for club races. I am sure I read it somewhere.

Thanks Ally....you are absolutely right!

Will do some XC for sure but will save it for one that doesn't recommended going and buying another set of shoes to do it!

Well I never I've been in the club 2 years and never heard this I thought only rule was club vest.

Sorry I can't make this one, will come along and do a job at the next one though!

p.s. re shoes, if you like XC and invest in new shoes, your shoes will last a good few seasons (especially if you look after them (which I don't!)).

Re club kit, I am fairly sure black shorts/leggings are preferred as black looks smarter with the club vest.

Thanks Lindsay - it remains to be seen if I'll like it! I have some trail shoes (Roclite 290) which should do for the less water-based events!

Steve - you would be absolutely fine in those shoes at Wellingborough, plenty of people wear trail shoes on that course

Thanks Adam, had a look on the flickr and the course does seem fine for trails (apart from one particular bit....!)

I'll pick my number up Thursday!

Anyone want to car share to the XC from Letchworth (or anywhere reasonably local)? Don’t mind driving.

James K - would be v happy to join you if you still have room.

Good luck everyone racing XC. Enjoy the water crossing which are the most fun bits.

Please take some photos for the press report.

thanks