BlackBostonOnline's Book Circle

This monthly book forum is designed to provide an interactive experience for our members. Feel free to express your opinions, ideas, or respond to other members of the circle.

BlackBostonOnline's Book Circle
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Will this ever be a movie?

Hi! A movie, huh! Wouldn't that be lovely! Actually, my agent has been trying. I heard on the grapevine that Angela Basset actually had a copy of A Thirst For Rain, but maybe somebody just imagined that. So far, there is no movie in the offing, but I hope that changes. I'd love to see either of those books become a movie!

It's hard, though, because of the setting. Few companies like to set movies in foreign countries because of the cost. But I think if they change the script a little and maybe set in in the American South, it might still do very well.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Dear Mrs. Carrington,

the images that you portray in both novels are so vivid and real that I wondered if you have ever considered combining both books together and making a movie or broadway play. Ken's comment mentioned a screenplay and I didn't know if he had the inside track. You should do it! I could see tye diggs playing Rory and Jada Pinkett Smith playing Odile.

Replying to:

That's funny! Rory has always been, and probably always will be, my favourite character. He's like a real person to me, and as a matter of fact, he is the reason I wrote this book. I found myself unable to sleep one night, because I was worrying, like a mother, about what would happen to him if things didn't get better. And so I wrote Every Bitter Thing Sweet just to give this wonderful, hurting human being a chance.

And thanks for staying up all night reading it! Makes me feel SO good!

Replying to:

I just finished Every Bitter Thing Sweet after an all night reading marathon just so I could participate in this particular forum. My favorite character is surely Rory who has dealt with unspeakable abuse by his father and dealing with his mothers abandonment of him. Despite all of this he has become an upstanding, respectful guy and has the heart of both a lion and a teddy bear. His struggle on it's own is very inspiring.

Replying to:

The content of this novel was very different fron the the first one but I feel that there is a common thread to both books. The need for all the characters to confront the things that haunt them and regain control over their destiny is crucial to all of these stories. This is also very important for people to do in everyday life. Understanding your present so that you can predetermine the future is something that Odile and Rory found out the hard way. Great book Blackbostononline!

Replying to:

I am a huge fan of this author because her writing has so much substance. She has clearly mastered the art of storytelling. I enjoyed A Thirst for Rain so much that when I heard there was a sequel I was so happy you wouldn't believe it. READ THIS BOOK! You'll love it.

Replying to:

Hello Book Circle Participants,

Remember how much you loved "A Thirst For Rain" well get ready for a sequel that in my mind was even better. I cannot say enough about this great novel but I want to hear your opinion. Heartfelt, Provocative, and Moving are only some of the words I would use to describe "EVERY BITTER THING SWEET", a book that is just begging to be made a screenplay. Hopefully the author Roslyn Carrington will join our discussion soon. Let's give her something to talk about.

Re: exercising the demons!

Hello, all.

Wow, what wonderful comments. I especially like the idea of confronting your past in order to determine your future. I think that's a very important storyline in all my books.

It's interesting that when I told some female readers that Rory and Odile were going to get back together in this book, after what happened between them in A Thirst For Rain, they were very upset. One woman told me that she just couldn't see how that could work. But I think that their understanding of what made them who they were and what made them do what they did really helped them to forgive and move forward.

Replying to:

The content of this novel was very different fron the the first one but I feel that there is a common thread to both books. The need for all the characters to confront the things that haunt them and regain control over their destiny is crucial to all of these stories. This is also very important for people to do in everyday life. Understanding your present so that you can predetermine the future is something that Odile and Rory found out the hard way. Great book Blackbostononline!

Replying to:

I am a huge fan of this author because her writing has so much substance. She has clearly mastered the art of storytelling. I enjoyed A Thirst for Rain so much that when I heard there was a sequel I was so happy you wouldn't believe it. READ THIS BOOK! You'll love it.

Replying to:

Hello Book Circle Participants,

Remember how much you loved "A Thirst For Rain" well get ready for a sequel that in my mind was even better. I cannot say enough about this great novel but I want to hear your opinion. Heartfelt, Provocative, and Moving are only some of the words I would use to describe "EVERY BITTER THING SWEET", a book that is just begging to be made a screenplay. Hopefully the author Roslyn Carrington will join our discussion soon. Let's give her something to talk about.