BlackBostonOnline's Book Circle

This monthly book forum is designed to provide an interactive experience for our members. Feel free to express your opinions, ideas, or respond to other members of the circle.

BlackBostonOnline's Book Circle
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Not Classy

When I think about the relationship I have with my church I could not imagine an novel appropriately telling a story of this kind. To be honest I have not yet read the book but from what I hear it is not written in a tasteful manner and I hope it does not sell many copies.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I agree with you Ken when you say that this book will probably be controversial. Black Folks are very protective of the image and sanctity of church and they should be! I looked forward to this novel being released and read it as soon as it hit the bookstore. I found it to be a well told story that I know people will enjoy.

Replying to:

Hi Book Circle Participants,

This months discussion is about a novel by Michele Andrea Bowen called "CHURCH FOLK". I imagine that this novel may stir up some controversy because it deals with the side of the Black Church that many people refuse to acknowledge really exists. Although this novel is fictional it's portrayal of corruption and crooked ministers may not sit well with many churchgoers. Beyond the potential for controversy is a very well told story which in the end highlighted the very positive aspects of the church.

Let's hear what you think!

A Good Story

I can understand when Ken says this book could be controversial by the nature of what goes down in the novel. It will probably strike a nerve with some hardcore religious but when you take out the corruption and dishonesty the story is rather inspirational and it shows serious morals on the part of the main character. It was a captivating story that I hope everybody reads.

Replying to:

This months discussion is about a novel by Michele Andrea Bowen called "CHURCH FOLK". I imagine that this novel may stir up some controversy because it deals with the side of the Black Church that many people refuse to acknowledge really exists. Although this novel is fictional it's portrayal of corruption and crooked ministers may not sit well with many churchgoers. Beyond the potential for controversy is a very well told story which in the end highlighted the very positive aspects of the church.

Unimpressed

Wrong, Wrong, and more Wrong! This author has some nerve getting all this praise for a book that does nothing but exploit the small negatives about the Black Church. As powerful and positive as the church is in every black community across the country, you have a serious nerve writing about ministers running a whorehouse. Shame on you Ms. Bowen cause your book is trifelin'.

Replying to:

I can understand when Ken says this book could be controversial by the nature of what goes down in the novel. It will probably strike a nerve with some hardcore religious but when you take out the corruption and dishonesty the story is rather inspirational and it shows serious morals on the part of the main character. It was a captivating story that I hope everybody reads.

Replying to:

I understand your point

Thanks for joining the Book Circle this month Kelly and I appreciate your opinion. A lot has been said lately about Black People airing their "Dirty Laundry" in books. In fact, the Book I'm reviewing next month called "What's Goin On" spends a whole chapter on the subject. I beleive that if people of color want to highlight our accomplishments and historic acheivements, we have to acknowledge and accept our shortcomings even if it means bring sensitive issues into open forums of discussion.

Replying to:

Wrong, Wrong, and more Wrong! This author has some nerve getting all this praise for a book that does nothing but exploit the small negatives about the Black Church. As powerful and positive as the church is in every black community across the country, you have a serious nerve writing about ministers running a whorehouse. Shame on you Ms. Bowen cause your book is trifelin'.

Replying to:

Replying to: