BlackBostonOnline's Book Circle

This monthly book forum is designed to provide an interactive experience for our members. Feel free to express your opinions, ideas, or respond to other members of the circle.

BlackBostonOnline's Book Circle
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Heard it all before

Listen Sam,

You definitely need to get out more my brotha because the observations that read in this book to me were not very original. I admit that he deserves some credit for not holding his tongue and speaking his mind but he is no Randall Robinson by any stretch of the imagination. Nothing about What's Going On jumped out at me.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

This brotha is keepin' it real! I enjoyed this book cover to cover. As a black man I can so relate to many of the issues we face day to day that other races could not begin to understand. That chapter where he descibed the fear of the white woman with the baby was so ill. I can't count how many times I have personally been in a situation like that. Pick this one up book circle!

Replying to:

Hello Book Circle Participants,

The focus this month in PERSPECTIVES is a collection of essays by bestselling author Nathan McCall. This issues that were addressed in this novel will make for great discussions and comments across this message forum. If you have read WHAT'S GOING ON or if you have questions to ask people who have read it then please feel free to post your comments.

Thanks

Easy Fellas!

Thank you both for joining Perspectives and sharing your opinions about What's Going On. I feel Jay's sentiments on the popularity of McCall's subject matter but comparing him to Randall Robinson is not really comparing apples to apples. Robinson is a Harvard intellectual who was the head of Transafrica and a champion of the reparations movement for many years. McCall, although very accomplished in his own right, is writing this book from a "Man on the street" perspective. It is only fair to judge them against their own work and individual accomplishments and not against each other.

Replying to:

Listen Sam,

You definitely need to get out more my brotha because the observations that read in this book to me were not very original. I admit that he deserves some credit for not holding his tongue and speaking his mind but he is no Randall Robinson by any stretch of the imagination. Nothing about What's Going On jumped out at me.

Replying to:

This brotha is keepin' it real! I enjoyed this book cover to cover. As a black man I can so relate to many of the issues we face day to day that other races could not begin to understand. That chapter where he descibed the fear of the white woman with the baby was so ill. I can't count how many times I have personally been in a situation like that. Pick this one up book circle!

Replying to:

The focus this month in PERSPECTIVES is a collection of essays by bestselling author Nathan McCall. This issues that were addressed in this novel will make for great discussions and comments across this message forum. If you have read WHAT'S GOING ON or if you have questions to ask people who have read it then please feel free to post your comments.

Thanks

Unfair comparisons

Good Point Ken. I have only done a few chapters of McCall's book and I haven't heard of the man you just mentioned but I am very big on stopping unfair comparisons. I believe that these types if comparisons can lead to stereotypes and total untruths. Nathan McCall seems very positive and I am actually more eager to finish this book the more I get into it.

Replying to:

Thank you both for joining Perspectives and sharing your opinions about What's Going On. I feel Jay's sentiments on the popularity of McCall's subject matter but comparing him to Randall Robinson is not really comparing apples to apples. Robinson is a Harvard intellectual who was the head of Transafrica and a champion of the reparations movement for many years. McCall, although very accomplished in his own right, is writing this book from a "Man on the street" perspective. It is only fair to judge them against their own work and individual accomplishments and not against each other.

Replying to:

Listen Sam,

Replying to:

Replying to:

Thanks